Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jsmallflynn
  • 1 Post By Phill_UK
  • 1 Post By Skeevecr
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    310E9B05
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default I Have A Few Questions For Some Of You CB Wizards! :)

I really haven't been around these parts since I got my 9930 on the day of launch. One can get really wrapped up in forums lol. But anyways, I've been waiting for the BB10 phones since we knew them as BBX phones over a year ago. Now that they're here, 2 days after my birthday , I'm super excited! I thought I was gonna stay a die hard keyboard fan, but this Z10 is too damn sexy! They finally seem to have found the right combo of sexy with function. With that said, I have a few questions for the very smart folks on this board, because while I think I'm a bit of a tech geek, I'm nothing on the level of some of you lol.

1. I was reading a post on here a few minutes ago, and was unclear. Will LTE most likely be only available for this phone in Canada? If yes, why would that be?

2. What made any die hard QWERTY fans like myself, want to switch to the Z10 side?

3. Are there any confirmed apps that we've been waiting for? Any you'd like to see?

4. What does hot swappable SD storage mean for the storage overall? Is that what will allow for a POSSIBLE 64GB SD card to be used?

5. Both versions of the Playbook will update to BB10, correct? If so, do we believe it's more than just for cohesion? [i.e. making for a stronger connection with BB phones]

Sorry for all these questions, I'm very curious and this phone seems super amazing! Thanks ahead of time for all your awesome answers!
    Feeding my addiction since o9..., now it's 2013 and I'm still here!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,950 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PlaybookFanatic View Post
    I really haven't been around these parts since I got my 9930 on the day of launch. One can get really wrapped up in forums lol. But anyways, I've been waiting for the BB10 phones since we knew them as BBX phones over a year ago. Now that they're here, 2 days after my birthday , I'm super excited! I thought I was gonna stay a die hard keyboard fan, but this Z10 is too damn sexy! They finally seem to have found the right combo of sexy with function. With that said, I have a few questions for the very smart folks on this board, because while I think I'm a bit of a tech geek, I'm nothing on the level of some of you lol.

1. I was reading a post on here a few minutes ago, and was unclear. Will LTE most likely be only available for this phone in Canada? If yes, why would that be?

it will depends on your carrier i suppose, but I think they will try to push the LTE variant to as many countries as possible that supports it.

2. What made any die hard QWERTY fans like myself, want to switch to the Z10 side?

I may like physical keyboards, I'm not exactly diehard, so i can't really speak for this.

3. Are there any confirmed apps that we've been waiting for? Any you'd like to see?

Not sure about confirmed apps, but some I would like to see would be a native whatsapp, endomondo, tapatalk, and local banking apps. Frankly, I don't have any make or break apps. No matter whether these apps are on board or not, I will get a Z10 on launch day.

4. What does hot swappable SD storage mean for the storage overall? Is that what will allow for a POSSIBLE 64GB SD card to be used?

I think what hot swappable SD storage would mean will be that RIM can simply just offer one capacity, instead of doing it like Apple. Whether it will allow 64GB SD card we still don't know yet. If RIM says it supports SDxC, then it will support 64GB. (Hopefully!)

5. Both versions of the Playbook will update to BB10, correct? If so, do we believe it's more than just for cohesion? [i.e. making for a stronger connection with BB phones]

I believe so, but i think it will be more than just cohesion. From what is on PlayBook OS 2.1 now, still a lot of features are missing, compared to what we have seen from BB10. But i certainly hope that sometime in the future, it will allow wifi ad hoc communication between tablet and phone compared to bluetooth (not sure if that's at all possible).

Sorry for all these questions, I'm very curious and this phone seems super amazing! Thanks ahead of time for all your awesome answers!
    I'm sure a lot of us are super excited too.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,762 Global Posts

Most of those questions have already been answered on these forums...
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    310E9B05
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by calicocat2010 View Post
    Most of those questions have already been answered on these forums...
    Well clearly they weren't answered well enough for me to be satisfied [and many others from what I'm gathering], hence me asking. Thanks for the snark.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

Post 1 in this thread is updated fairly regularly with apps confirmed from other sources List: Confirmed Apps coming to BB10

On the keyboard, main thing we have seen demonstrated is the predicted words just above the letters unlike the playbook where they are above the keyboard. This makes it easier to flick the words up to the text. There are some video demos floating around, probably easier to find using Google.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    310E9B05
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Hong View Post
    I'm sure a lot of us are super excited too.
    Exactly! I'm pretty much super ready to sell my soul to someone to get one. It would be the utimate birthday gift!

Now with the LTE thing, are there any reasons that a carrier wouldn't want to bring in LTE versions of any phone? I would think they'd want to push LTE super hard. I'm with Sprint, and since they were the first to officially roll out "4G" here in the states, you'd think they'd wanna step their LTE game up. But I'm not well versed in logistics of this matter.

As far as apps. While it isn't make or break, Netflix would be amazing to have. That's simply for the fact that with HDMI output, you wanna make the most out of this video feature...and I netflix quite a bit. I don't Skype that often, but maybe with a capable phone, I would. I don't know any of the apps you use, but I think I'll look them up as they might come in handy. I WOULD like to see a revamped Wikitude. That's an app that never quite got the push that it should have.

Thanks for the hot swappable question. I hope that it'll allow for the highest capacity. Is that common in today's market to use the micro SD slot for larger capacities?

Can't wait for the Playbook update. It'll finally revamp my playbook, and allow for even more fun. Next month is already starting to be really stellar.

Global Posts
    3,368 Global Posts
    PIN
    24BF22A0

...It'll finally revamp my playbook...
    I'm sorry but I can't stand statements like this.. I realize you aren't a troll, you have good things to say and are genuinely excited about the product so I'm going to assume you didn't mean it like it sounded.. but to say it'll finally revamp the playbook is just plain a bad choice of words in my opinion. There was a major update as little as a few months ago..The playbook under OS1 was the best tablet on the market, the playbook under OS2 was even better, the playbook under OS2.1 better still.. don't get me wrong, I am as excited as anyone about the playbook being updated to BB10, but that is icing on the cake, its taking the best tablet out there and making it even better, which is great! But to say it is FINALLY getting revamped indicates there's something wrong with it as it sits now, and I don't agree. I will welcome the BB10 upgrade with open arms, but even if the playbook never got another upgrade I wouldn't be disappointed.. it is, as it sits now the best tablet on the market and i'd be perfectly satisfied if it stayed just as is..

On to your questions... as for die hard keyboard users such as myself, I'm leaning towards the l-series (z10) simply because I find the n-series to be ugly. I'm going to pickup an l-series on launch day, try to like it.. and if I just can't get efficient (and typo proof) on the virtual keyboard I'll give it to my wife and pickup the n-series anyway.

As for apps, someone mentioned above one of their must haves was tapatalk, I can't find a link, but I remember reading a post from the developer saying he was developing a BB10 app.

RIM 950 .... Blackberry Z10 (STL100-3 on hybrid OS 10.3.0.1154/misc) and everything in between + Playbook 32GB Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition
    CrackBerry Newbie

Just as a small note, hot swappable SD storage would most likely mean you can add or remove the SD card while the device is running without a reboot. Similar to 'hot swapping' drives in a NAS.
    just_luc likes this.
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jsmallflynn View Post
    Just as a small note, hot swappable SD storage would most likely mean you can add or remove the SD card while the device is running without a reboot. Similar to 'hot swapping' drives in a NAS.
    ...without having to remove the battery
    That's Phill with 2 L's
    BergerKing likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,762 Global Posts

Well clearly they weren't answered well enough for me to be satisfied [and many others from what I'm gathering], hence me asking. Thanks for the snark.
    Well it way a small hint to uh Search the forums. Seriously. So many of the same threads are posted and it gets annoying having to read the same stuff when people just need to search first. However, I figured you had Not done a search hence my First comment.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,083 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by just_luc View Post
    I'm sorry but I can't stand statements like this.. I realize you aren't a troll, you have good things to say and are genuinely excited about the product so I'm going to assume you didn't mean it like it sounded.. but to say it'll finally revamp the playbook is just plain a bad choice of words in my opinion. There was a major update as little as a few months ago..The playbook under OS1 was the best tablet on the market, the playbook under OS2 was even better, the playbook under OS2.1 better still.. don't get me wrong, I am as excited as anyone about the playbook being updated to BB10, but that is icing on the cake, its taking the best tablet out there and making it even better, which is great! But to say it is FINALLY getting revamped indicates there's something wrong with it as it sits now, and I don't agree. I will welcome the BB10 upgrade with open arms, but even if the playbook never got another upgrade I wouldn't be disappointed.. it is, as it sits now the best tablet on the market and i'd be perfectly satisfied if it stayed just as is..

On to your questions... as for die hard keyboard users such as myself, I'm leaning towards the l-series (z10) simply because I find the n-series to be ugly. I'm going to pickup an l-series on launch day, try to like it.. and if I just can't get efficient (and typo proof) on the virtual keyboard I'll give it to my wife and pickup the n-series anyway.

As for apps, someone mentioned above one of their must haves was tapatalk, I can't find a link, but I remember reading a post from the developer saying he was developing a BB10 app.
    Bro I'm a BB fanboy as well but come on... When the PB was first released it was inexcusably lacking in core BB features. When os2 hit it fixed most of those problems but is still lacking in apps. His statement is an opinion so for you to get like that is kind of dumb...
    Sent from my Z30, Z10, or a soon to be BB10 PlayBook

-BlackBerry Curve 8530 (Virgin Mobile) -BlackBerry Bold 9900 (T-Mobile) -BlackBerry PlayBook 64 gig -BlackBerry Z10 (T-Mobile) -BlackBerry Z30 WHITE (Unlocked)

Global Posts
    32,019 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

Thankfully most of the newer designs don't tuck the card slot in underneath the battery like some of the earlier BlackBerry versions, something that was decent, but a PITA once I began filling cards. I can fill space pretty quickly these days, and now have a card case to keep them neatly stored away when I don't need them.

LTE is getting to be the new standard, so I would expect them to deploy LTE capable phones until those have been superseded. For integrations' sake, streamlining the manufacturing channel to make them widely usable would be a benefit, as the companies making the LTE hardware should be able to crank em out at a fast rate now that the standard has become more widely accepted.
    Report Button, not just for the bad things!
    Devices: SPH-A620/VGA 1000, Sanyo Katana, BlackBerry 8330, 9630, 9670, MB855 Photon, SPH-L710 Galaxy SIII. SPH-L720 Galaxy S4
    Bacon is duct tape for food!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    310E9B05
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by djenkins6 View Post
    Post 1 in this thread is updated fairly regularly with apps confirmed from other sources List: Confirmed Apps coming to BB10

On the keyboard, main thing we have seen demonstrated is the predicted words just above the letters unlike the playbook where they are above the keyboard. This makes it easier to flick the words up to the text. There are some video demos floating around, probably easier to find using Google.
    I will have to check those out. Thanks!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    310E9B05
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Quote Originally Posted by just_luc View Post

Well, as I liked the first OS, and the second one...I have to admit, it was lacking things that RIM knew should've been there. You're right, I'm not a troll, but with all my favorite things, I also call out the ish. For instance, I expected native BBM, twitter and email. I didn't get it. Was upset, but it didn't break my experience AT ALL. Doodle blast made that up for me lol. But a revamp simply means it's getting a makeover, which I feel that RIM has wanted for a while. To get to BB1o and get the Playbook to the OS they've truly envisioned. Nothing wrong with wanting that, and I'm here for RIM to the wheels fall off!

Gosh, I'm glad someone said it was ugly before I did lol. I have a feeling though that the x10 isn't really complete and it might really surprise us with the look. Who knows.

I'm not sure what that app does, I need to look it up. I hear nothing but great things though.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    310E9B05
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert_123 View Post
    Bro I'm a BB fanboy as well but come on... When the PB was first released it was inexcusably lacking in core BB features. When os2 hit it fixed most of those problems but is still lacking in apps. His statement is an opinion so for you to get like that is kind of dumb...
    +1 Enough said lol
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    310E9B05
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by calicocat2010 View Post
    Well it way a small hint to uh Search the forums. Seriously. So many of the same threads are posted and it gets annoying having to read the same stuff when people just need to search first. However, I figured you had Not done a search hence my First comment.
    Imma give you a hug because I'm in a great mood. How about I DID search and didn't find the answers sufficient. So if my post bothered you, you could simply move on, right? Right. I do, however, appreciate your input. Thanks a bunch.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    310E9B05
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by jsmallflynn View Post
    You and Phill have definitely helped me understand that. Thanks a bunch!
    CrackBerry Genius

To be honest, I think the bigger issue at launch was one of understanding who they should market the device to, I had perfectly fine email etc. on my os1 playbook as I was bridging it to my blackberry and if they could have priced it a bit cheaper from the outset and focused on selling them to existing bb owners then it might have gained enough momentum to attract more devs and then later when it was more fully featured in conventional tablet terms they could have moved their focus onto selling it to a wider audience.
    Thanked by:
    just_luc (12-31-2012) 
    just_luc likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,530 Global Posts

Default I Have A Few Questions For Some Of You CB Wizards! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    To be honest, I think the bigger issue at launch was one of understanding who they should market the device to, I had perfectly fine email etc. on my os1 playbook as I was bridging it to my blackberry and if they could have priced it a bit cheaper from the outset and focused on selling them to existing bb owners then it might have gained enough momentum to attract more devs and then later when it was more fully featured in conventional tablet terms they could have moved their focus onto selling it to a wider audience.
    nope. playbook os1 was a joke. for the price it was sold at, you shouldnt have to bridge.
    the playbook was released early. os2 is what os1 should have been.
    i hate seeing it dressed up any other way. as good as the playbook is, it is a failure. and that is because of rims inability to comprehend that they are not major players any more.
    i hope that they wont make the same mistake with bb10

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Primary Device: Moto X
    Backup Device: Blackberry Z10

Global Posts
    3,368 Global Posts
    PIN
    24BF22A0

Quote Originally Posted by darkehawke View Post
    nope. playbook os1 was a joke. for the price it was sold at, you shouldnt have to bridge.
    i hate seeing it dressed up any other way. as good as the playbook is, it is a failure. and that is because of rims inability to comprehend that they are not major players any more.
    i hope that they wont make the same mistake with bb10

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    You have the right to your opinion, but I disagree.. I've been very happy with my playbook in all stages, it has done, and continues to do everything I expected it to do when I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    BINGO!

With no native PIM apps did it work well for non blackberry users? of course not.. they should have definitely been added before it was marketed to non blackberry phone users, but as a blackberry user I actually PREFER bridge to the native apps.. even now that the new apps have been added, I disable the notifications on them and use bridge anyway!

Just my 2cents

RIM 950 .... Blackberry Z10 (STL100-3 on hybrid OS 10.3.0.1154/misc) and everything in between + Playbook 32GB Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by darkehawke View Post
    Os1 was not a joke for somebody who could use bridge to their blackberry and they should have marketed it as such and lowered the price at launch since they would not have been marketing it as a complete tablet. If they had sold it this way and managed to get 1 in 20 or even 1 in 10 of existing blackberry owners to buy it then that easily exceeds the numbers they have ended up with by trying to market it as a complete tablet rather than a companion device right from the outset.