Does anyone know the spec for the Z10 camera, how wide angle is the lens?
    09-22-14 04:33 PM
    I read somewhere that it's equivalent to 31mm.
    09-22-14 07:06 PM
    The photos taken with my Z10 and uploaded in my Flickr shows a focul length of 4.1mm with an aperture of f/2.2, while the shutter speed and iso varied depending upon the lighting / metering thing... dunno about the exact specifications though...

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 07:48 PM
    Having some experience (since the late 70s) with regular 35mm film SLR cameras and the various lenses - sticking primarily with normal 50mm and wide angle 28mm lenses- 30 or 31 mm seems about right.

It's actually too wide for my taste for normal photography. I wish it was more along the lines of around 40mm at the most. I never feel like I can get close enough to my subjects. And once I do, it's a bit too distorted.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by joeldf; 09-22-14 at 11:20 PM.
    09-22-14 09:54 PM
    Here's what Irfanview reports about the attached image:

Filename - IMG_20140914_114238.jpg
    Make - BlackBerry
    Model - BlackBerry Z10
    Orientation - Top left
    XResolution - 72
    YResolution - 72
    ResolutionUnit - Inch
    Software - BlackBerry 10.3.0.1052
    DateTime - 2014:09:14 11:42:38
    ExifOffset - 222
    ExposureTime - 1/2857.1 seconds
    FNumber - 2.25
    ISOSpeedRatings - 70
    ExifVersion - 0230
    DateTimeOriginal - 2014:09:14 11:42:38
    DateTimeDigitized - 2014:09:14 11:42:38
    ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
    SubjectDistance - 0.84 m
    MeteringMode - Multi-segment
    Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
    FocalLength - 4.13 mm
    FlashPixVersion - 0100
    ColorSpace - Uncalibrated/Unknown (-1)
    ExifImageWidth - 3264
    ExifImageHeight - 1836
    White Balance - Auto
    DigitalZoomRatio - 1.00 x
    FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 3100 mm
    SceneCaptureType - Standard

GPS information: -
    GPSLatitudeRef - N
    GPSLatitude - 48 51 27.28 (48.857578)
    GPSLongitudeRef - W
    GPSLongitude - 121 42 33.91 (121.709419)
    GPSAltitudeRef - Sea level
    GPSAltitude - 0.00 m

Maker Note (Vendor): -
    Attached Thumbnails how WIDE ANGLE is the camera lens?-img_20140914_114238.jpg  
    m3ach likes this.
    09-23-14 12:17 AM
    What is the difference between focal length and focal length in film F2???

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 01:14 AM
    What is the difference between focal length and focal length in film F2???

Posted via CB10
    Its all to do with the size of the sensor, 35 mm film is 36 X 24mm approximately and the sensor is much, much smaller in the Z10 probably in the region of 4 to 5mm or so.

Therefore you need to multiply the focal length of the lens by the difference in Sensor size to get the 35mm film equivalent, in this case by around 7.5 if you take the 31mm as correct against the 4.1mm of the Z10 lens.

All this conversation factor gives you is the equivalent angle of view if you had a 31mm lens on a full frame camera, ie 35 mm.

In basic terms if you took a picture with a 35mm camera with a 31mm lens it would capture the same field of view as the Z10's.

The comparison is only of value to photographers who have used 35mm film or Digital full frame cameras really to give them an idea of what the camera and lens combination is best for.

Hope that helps, sorry it sounds more complicated than it is really.

Posted via CB10 using my Z10 STL100-2 /10.2.1.3247
    joeldf and FF22 like this.
    09-23-14 03:39 AM

That's actually a very good explanation.

Posted via CB10
    m3ach likes this.
    09-23-14 06:41 AM
    m3ach:

Thanks since I could not answer. I only posted what irfanview reported (and I can't vouch for its accuracy). I only highlighted those two values since they both mentioned focal length.

(as an aside, I never use any zoom functions on landscapes as quality suffers.)
    m3ach likes this.
    09-23-14 09:12 AM
    m3ach:

Thanks since I could not answer. I only posted what irfanview reported (and I can't vouch for its accuracy). I only highlighted those two values since they both mentioned focal length.

(as an aside, I never use any zoom functions on landscapes as quality suffers.)
    I don't use any zoom functions either for any kind of subject for the same reason.

I wish they could figure out a way to fit in an optical zoom that gets to the equivalent of about 50mm on these things. Then I really could retire my old Canon AE-1. .

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    09-23-14 09:59 AM
    F2, I guess the figures are fairly accurate.

It is never worth using a digital zoom as you can do exactly the same thing on your computer or in an editing app just by cropping the photo!

I've never worked out why people think digital zooms are worth having, they still tend to be a selling point though!

FF22 likes this.
    09-23-14 10:01 AM
    Canon AE1!

You must be as old as me, I still have an A1, don't use it anymore though, went digital some time back.

You might do a search for 'photo jo jo lenses' in this forum for an optical solution.

09-23-14 10:07 AM
    Try this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=916603

09-23-14 10:09 AM

Thank you very much.. i got it perfectly.. no confusion at all.. and about that thread... awesome..

Posted via CB10
    m3ach likes this.
    09-23-14 10:39 AM
    By the way F2 Love the picture, is this local to you, if so it must be a Photographers Paradise, I'd never leave my Camera at home if the scenery near me was like this!

I assume you have posted it in the pictures taken on the Z10 thread?
    09-24-14 01:03 PM
    By the way F2 Love the picture, is this local to you, if so it must be a Photographers Paradise, I'd never leave my Camera at home if the scenery near me was like this!

I assume you have posted it in the pictures taken on the Z10 thread?
    Well, local is relative. About a 2-3 hour drive. And some would call it Paradise, scenery or not. pacific northWET (wet returned with a vengence yesterday!)

Here's a link to more from that weekend. I do take a camera but always take some for that Z10-Photo thread using the phone. I've posted a lot of shots of the mountains in that thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post10842546
    m3ach likes this.
    09-24-14 02:58 PM
    Well 2 hours or so isn't bad, we don't have scenery like that in the UK, we certainly have the rain though lol.

Loving the other pics, the panorama is part of 10.3 you say, looking forward to that.

09-25-14 01:53 PM
    Well 2 hours or so isn't bad, we don't have scenery like that in the UK, we certainly have the rain though lol.

Loving the other pics, the panorama is part of 10.3 you say, looking forward to that.

I've seen some more dramatic scenery in Scotland and Wales???? At least in pictures. The most traveling I did about 40 years ago was Stonehenge - I think it was before some of it was closed to the public?????

Yup, Panorama is in the new 10.3.xxxx OS. I like the one I did from the locks - a full 180. The distant bridge on the left and the arch over the water on the right were completely opposite each other. It also works much nicer than my Canon where you have to overlap (match profiles of items - hmm, is that the right place on the ridge!!!!). This thing throws a SQUARE outline up on the screen and a moving square. You have to match or overlap those. Oh, I tried doing a screen capture of the Pan Squares but it must be an overlay and does not capture.
    Attached Thumbnails how WIDE ANGLE is the camera lens?-img_20140906_123054_panorama.jpg  
    m3ach likes this.
    09-25-14 03:36 PM
    Sorry I forgot that Scotland was still part of the UK lol, I guess we all have dramatic scenery if we look hard enough.

I suppose it's always the same when you live somewhere you don't always appreciate it.

That Panorama is just insane, I usually take loads of shots and let Photoshop stitch them together, usually quite a task with RAW shots!

Looking forward to 10.3. Will wait until its officially released though as I like the suspense, plus it's less time to wait until any new improvements released later.
    09-26-14 05:59 PM
    Sorry I forgot that Scotland was still part of the UK lol, I guess we all have dramatic scenery if we look hard enough.

I suppose it's always the same when you live somewhere you don't always appreciate it.

That Panorama is just insane, I usually take loads of shots and let Photoshop stitch them together, usually quite a task with RAW shots!

Looking forward to 10.3. Will wait until its officially released though as I like the suspense, plus it's less time to wait until any new improvements released later.
    I wonder when the next vote on Independence will occur. I think ours is scheduled for July 4th!

The pans on the phone lead (for me) to much less curvature and cropping necessary. But that's probably because I free-hold it and don't deal with a tripod. Hey, I'm too old to schlepp that gear into them thar hills.

Living near the Cascades definitely has its advantages. And in the Spring I was down in "red rock" country - Bryce and Zion which is so dramatically different and almost exotic. I really like the Sierra for mountains. And kind of back on topic - wide angle really helps!

There was just an article yesterday about how potentially dangerous one of our nearby volcanoes it. It is large but more obscure since it does not really dominate any skylines from almost anywhere - Glacier Peak - it is buried in a wilderness area. The other 4 large ones are more visible including the infamous Mt St Helens.

Glacier Peak:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/S...277109911.html
    Last edited by F2; 09-26-14 at 09:18 PM.
    09-26-14 09:06 PM
    I think the Scots should be happy for a few years now but I'm sure they will want another vote in a few years time.

I know what you mean about carrying loads of Camera gear about!

I'm more of a telephoto kind of guy, I like to shoot Motorsport and not only is the Z10's lens too wide, by the time it's taken a picture all you end up with is an empty piece of road!

The Pano function would come in very handy for capturing the entire venue though so looking forward to that.

That picture of Glacier Peak is awesome, love the reflections, a bit worrying though, you guys seem to have your fair share of slumbering volcanoes, Yellowstone Park is one huge Volcano overdue for an eruption I believe!
    09-28-14 05:00 PM
    I think the Scots should be happy for a few years now but I'm sure they will want another vote in a few years time.

I know what you mean about carrying loads of Camera gear about!

I'm more of a telephoto kind of guy, I like to shoot Motorsport and not only is the Z10's lens too wide, by the time it's taken a picture all you end up with is an empty piece of road!

The Pano function would come in very handy for capturing the entire venue though so looking forward to that.

That picture of Glacier Peak is awesome, love the reflections, a bit worrying though, you guys seem to have your fair share of slumbering volcanoes, Yellowstone Park is one huge Volcano overdue for an eruption I believe!
    The Z10 is a bit slow. But then again, it is not foremost a camera!

I've been to Image Lake twice, both quite many years ago. Long haul - about 16 miles each way and lots of elevation gain.

Yes, both Yellowstone (hauled a sled through there one Winter - great trip) and the Long Caldera down near Mammoth Calif are waiting to go.

Five pretty impressive ones. I've been to the top of each of them. Baker was the most active - lots of sulphur smell and the crater sounded like a constant freight train. It has backed off again. St Helens before and after she blew. The one that just went off in Japan does give one pause.

If you are interested in our volcanoes, this article was published just yesterday. A fascinating look under the ice cap.

Under Rainier�€™s crater, a natural laboratory like no other | Special reports pages | The Seattle Times

http://mobile.seattletimes.com/story...6/track-.-.-./
    m3ach likes this.
    09-28-14 06:27 PM
    16 Miles each way up and down hills, sounds like you've done a bit of sightseeing now and then!

I guess you're right about the Z10, you can also make phone calls on it, I think we tend to lose sight of the fact that it is a Phone lol.

Thats a great article, thanks for sharing, the ice caves are very impresive.

If we believe what we are being told about Global Warming these things could be a thing of the past in a few years unfortunately.
    09-30-14 05:22 PM
    16 Miles each way up and down hills, sounds like you've done a bit of sightseeing now and then!

I guess you're right about the Z10, you can also make phone calls on it, I think we tend to lose sight of the fact that it is a Phone lol.

Thats a great article, thanks for sharing, the ice caves are very impresive.

If we believe what we are being told about Global Warming these things could be a thing of the past in a few years unfortunately.
    There use to be readily accessible ice caves about a mile or so from the 5,400 foot parking lot but those have succumbed to, ahem, climate change! It was a really good article. Yes, I still get out and about but I did Mt Rainier oh, about 30 years ago. I don't think I will make it again.
    09-30-14 07:33 PM