View Poll Results: Did this work for you?
- 2. You may not vote on this poll
How to transfer your contacts from your old BB to Z10 (Solution)
I'm gonna keep it simple.
1. Old phone: Backup your contacts using BB Desktop Software. (Do a one way sync to Outlook)
2. Old phone: Contacts > Options > Delete your contact groups/categories. All your contacts will remain though. You should be left with one group that you can't delete, in my case it was called 'Desktop'. If it's called 'Default' you should be ok, but I'd recommend following all steps below.
4. Old phone: Close Contacts, go back to home screen.
5. Old phone: Contacts > Options Type RSET (How do I clear or reset a BlackBerry address book without hard resetting? - IS&T Contributions -*Hermes)
6. Old phone: Restore your contacts using BB Desktop Software (do a one way sync TO DEVICE from Outlook). When you do this you should get a warning that you've never seen before saying "Your 'Desktop' category doesn't exist, storing in 'Default' instead" or something to that effect.
7. Close BB Desktop Software, keep old phone plugged in.
8. Open Blackberry Link and click the 3 vertical circles on the bottom right and select 'Switch devices'
9. This screen will have 2 options, you choose the top one 'Transfer Data' - if this isn't selectable it means Link hasn't detected your phone correctly - I had to reboot my old phone, and reboot my PC
10. Next screen will tell you to put your new phone in and continue.
11. You are done.
When you go into your contacts you will only see a few there, but be patient, the ole Z10 seems to take its time building that list up from whatever data has been sent it's way.
It's possible that Bluetooth transfer would work after step 6 is done. I haven't tested that but I think it will.
A lot of people seem to think that syncing with Gmail, Hotmail, CardDav is a good solution. That did work for me but I didn't want my data syncing back 'to the cloud'. I prefer my contacts being on my device and syncing them manually using BB Desktop and now Link. I didn't like the fact that if I deleted my Gmail or CardDav accounts from my device all my contacts would disappear (makes sense that they do but I don't like that). I was also worried about creating all the links between twitter, fB and linkedin contact entries using a synced contact list, deleting that account or moving my cloud contact list to another device not having all those social profiles retaining their links. If they DO keep their links that's awesome, then a cloud sync is good to go. But storing my contacts ON DEVICE is safer for me and suits my needs
I've been waiting for an unlock code for my O2 Z10 for 24 hours now so that I can use it here in South Africa, so I'm only using it on wifi, but yeah so far so good.
Last edited by xdoomx; 02-16-13 at 05:35 PM.
- CrackBerry User
03-08-13, 01:41 AM #4
- 41 Posts
would you know if it is possible doing the transfer of data and contacts if you don't have both old and new phones at the same time? I got my new Z10 yesterday but had to trade in my 9900. Before I traded in the 9900 though, I backed up everything on desktop manager
thanks in advance
No, I don't think so unfortunately. Your contacts will be in the wrong category
I think the new version of Link allows you to pull your contacts from Outlook though, so if you could extract your backup files contact list somehow then load that into Outlook... you could try?
- By ccscissors in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 3Last Post: 08-16-09, 10:56 AM
- By bberrynewbie84 in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 2Last Post: 06-17-09, 09:46 AM
- By wrxm33 in forum BlackBerry Curve 8900Replies: 3Last Post: 06-08-09, 11:37 AM
- By glmingsii in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 5Last Post: 10-17-08, 08:44 AM
- By corrnell in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 2Last Post: 07-14-08, 03:27 AM