Hi there,

I'm wondering how can i press (enter) to start a new line when a BBMing in my Blackberry Z10? the same when I want to type a new Text Message!!

As when I press enter it send the message, and what i want is to add a new line to start a new sentence before sending it !!!

Your Help is really appreciated.
    xxslxx likes this.
    02-07-13 02:40 PM
    This should do the job. But if you mean you press this button and it sends the message, I don't know what advice to give you.How to start a new line in BBM Blackberry Z 10?-1234.png
    lil_g likes this.
    02-07-13 03:29 PM
    The only way so far is pressing the space bar until it drops to the next line but I'm sure there's an easier ways hidden in there.
    02-07-13 03:38 PM
    This should do the job. But if you mean you press this button and it sends the message, I don't know what advice to give you.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1234.png 
Views:	2433 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	134535
    That key doesn't exist in SMS it changes to "SEND".
    02-07-13 04:09 PM
    I have a solution, but it's a very poor one.

Go to any other app and copy a line break and then when you are in SMS/BBM simply paste that new line into your message.

Like I said it's a very cumbersome solution, but I just tried it and it works.
    02-07-13 04:12 PM
    ****f + enter, perhaps?
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-07-13 04:33 PM
    Thanks D Mac

Well this is what i'm doing now .. Going to emails or reminder app and type what i want (including pressing enter to start a new line) then i copy what i wrote & paste it in SMS/BBM

But I thought someone could have an easier solution .. like a spacial way to press enter to start a new line in SMS/BBM.
    Viseur likes this.
    02-08-13 05:57 AM
    On my Curve with OS6 there is a setting for this. I hope it's still in there somewhere. Have you checked settings from within the bbm app?
    02-08-13 06:17 AM
    ****f + enter, perhaps?
    This is my favourite mistype/censorship post ever!!

I don't have a Z10 yet (just waiting on a price comparison from a rival carrier to see where I land), but has anyone tried holding down the Enter key? Sometimes funny things happen with long-presses, and I wonder if that may work?

An alternative might be to set up a word substitution (eg typing linebr could substitute for the line break). Again, just a thought from a position of no knowledge at all! (EDIT** - see Shao's post below, which explains much better how to do this!)
    Last edited by Barljo; 02-08-13 at 08:37 AM. Reason: better info in following post
    02-08-13 06:19 AM
    Thanks all for your replies.. i trued everything

I held the enter key for a long time but it didn't work.

I typed linebr & it didnt work

I tried to go to the bbm settings & i couldn't find anything about starting a new line!!

02-08-13 06:37 AM
    I have a solution, but it's a very poor one.

Go to any other app and copy a line break and then when you are in SMS/BBM simply paste that new line into your message.

Like I said it's a very cumbersome solution, but I just tried it and it works.
    Perhaps that could be added as a custom Word Substitution. Under Settings > Language & Input > Automated Assistance > Word Substitution > Add Shortcut

You could add a shortcut and call it LN or something. Haven't tried it but worth a shot.
    Barljo and boyfoolish like this.
    02-08-13 07:30 AM
    I tried using word substitution as Barljo & Shao128 suggested, unfortunately no luck.

When you are setting up word substitution the enter key becomes "Done", so there is no way to enter a new line. I tried my copy and paste trick but it just pastes it all in one long string with the line breaks removed.

Also previously I tried a lot of other things in SMS/BBM: checking the menus, holding Send, holding "?123" and then hitting send (this is how you do it on BBOS7 if you had Hit Enter To Send turned on) holding shift and hitting send, holding del and hitting send, pressing and swiping right, holding space and hitting send, etc, etc, etc...

So it really looks like there is no way at all aside from cutting and pasting. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.
    02-08-13 12:56 PM
    Does the old shift+enter not work?
    02-09-13 09:02 AM
    Ya I was wondering this too. If anyone comes up with a solid way of this it would be greatly appreciated

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 09:07 AM
    I tried to go to the bbm settings & i couldn't find anything about starting a new line!!
    On my 9810, under the text options, there is a setting called "Press Enter Key to Send." Do you see a check box like that under the Z10's text options? Leave it unchecked.

It looks like this:

Last edited by MsDarkDiva; 02-09-13 at 09:46 AM.
    02-09-13 09:15 AM
    No there is no option to turn off press enter to send.

No shift enter or ANY other combination doesn't work.

No there is no trick or option to do it (aside from cut and paste).

Until there is a software update there is no way to do it.
    02-09-13 12:55 PM
    I've been wondering how to do this as well. Hopefully there is a way somehow or BlackBerry include it in future updates.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 01:00 PM
    This is an annoying issue that I just discovered. Trying to send someone my flight details for example: Arrival: xx Flight number: xx it would look better with new lines but I couldn't figure it out. Shift-Enter (send) will only send the message. I hope someone discovers a solution
    02-11-13 05:28 AM
    I think this is a bug that should be resolved in the next update. We need an update soon. Some other features are not handled as good as they were before such as the vibration options or convenience keys (volume up and down) within the camera app.
    xxslxx likes this.
    02-12-13 12:57 AM
    I have the same problem and for what it's worth this is my exploration of the matter:

Tried substituting ### -> [cr] : Does not work.
    Tried composing text message without addressee. CR key does not change to SEND. When I hit the CR key the carriage return character is not inserted.

That experiment leads me to conclude that the current version of the SMS messenger does not support insertion of carriage return.

I can only guess that there is some solid technical reason other than lack of usability testing, why this is not so.
    02-14-13 10:18 AM
    I have the same problem and for what it's worth this is my exploration of the matter:

Tried substituting ### -> [cr] : Does not work.
    Tried composing text message without addressee. CR key does not change to SEND. When I hit the CR key the carriage return character is not inserted.

That experiment leads me to conclude that the current version of the SMS messenger does not support insertion of carriage return.

I can only guess that there is some solid technical reason other than lack of usability testing, why this is not so.
    Well you can cut and paste a line break into a text just fine so no there is no technical reason they are letting us do it.
    02-14-13 02:21 PM
    Any news re: an update that fixes this?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I'm wondering how can i press (enter) to start a new line when a BBMing in my Blackberry Z10? the same when I want to type a new Text Message!!

As when I press enter it send the message, and what i want is to add a new line to start a new sentence before sending it !!!

Your Help is really appreciated.
    ld76 likes this.
    02-18-13 05:12 AM
    Hi,
    I was also trying to solve this irretating issue without any succes. The only thing I came up with is to write my message on either Remember App or on Memo Pad and then when I finish I select and copy all and past it then in the sms.
    I wonder how BB did not notice these basic issues and rectify immediately
    03-11-13 04:18 AM
    Just ran into this problem ... how annoying!
    03-26-13 03:27 PM
    Tried this one & works like a charm
    Go to any program where U can use <enter> button
    Type <space> then <enter>
    Select all
    Copy
    Go to word substitution
    Create new term U like
    Paste above as substitute
    Voila

Thanks for the suggestion
    I take it you didn't actually try that?

As already stated there is no way to paste a line break into word substitution.

You can copy and paste a line break directly in BBM or SMS but no in word substitution.
    04-02-13 08:04 PM
123 123 ...