Correct. FB notifications will come in to the hub, even if I have 8 apps open (and none of those 8 are facebook)
    Thank you....much appreciated.
    02-25-13 11:07 AM
    The 8 app open limitation really doesn't bother me. I know why they did it and as I look at it now, I rarely have that many apps open at once. And if I do, I am probably done with one or two of those apps anyway. But, how it closes the apps in order that you open them seems like a small issue, because what if that 8th app that is about to close is the one that you want to go back to next? Like, running an app to find a ATM and using Google Maps for directions, and Google Maps is the 8th app?

Aside from that, yeah, 8 app limitation doesn't really bother me.
    02-25-13 11:14 AM
    The 8 app open limitation really doesn't bother me. I know why they did it and as I look at it now, I rarely have that many apps open at once. And if I do, I am probably done with one or two of those apps anyway. But, how it closes the apps in order that you open them seems like a small issue, because what if that 8th app that is about to close is the one that you want to go back to next? Like, running an app to find a ATM and using Google Maps for directions, and Google Maps is the 8th app?

I can't tell you how many times I have to rely on navigation and bank apps to find tellers in new cities when I travel. It would be inconvenient.
    Something to look out for and manage.
    02-25-13 11:16 AM

The real problem you're going to run into is when we start seeing more BeBuzz type apps. Apps that don't actually serve a purpose in an active frame, but still take up one of your 8 spots.

Picture this scenario:
    You are running colorid, Shao's wallpaper changer and a message toast app.

Now you've only got room for 5 apps. Plus, I think the phone takes up an active frame as well, meaning really you've only got room for 4 apps (if a phone call comes in it would kick out your 5th app).

It's an unfortunate limit. Hopefully BB comes up with a better solution soon.
    02-25-13 11:25 AM

I would just open maps again. As with many things about the Z10, it's a little hard to explain and visualize, but when you play around with the phone for awhile I don't think you'd be disappointed with how it works (of course, everyone has different requirements). As qbnkelt says, it's about managing. I just close the apps I'm not using.. and if I'm in and out of maps a lot and keeping it open, it'll probably never be in 8th place.

(And sorry OP for hijacking thread - fwiw I don't sell phones to friends, but will show the Z10 if asked)
    HollyWOOD1906 likes this.
    02-25-13 11:27 AM
    The real problem you're going to run into is when we start seeing more BeBuzz type apps. Apps that don't actually serve a purpose in an active frame, but still take up one of your 8 spots.

Picture this scenario:
    You are running colorid, Shao's wallpaper changer and a message toast app.

Now you've only got room for 5 apps. Plus, I think the phone takes up an active frame as well, meaning really you've only got room for 4 apps (if a phone call comes in it would kick out your 5th app).

It's an unfortunate limit. Hopefully BB comes up with a better solution soon.
    I agree. From the other thread I mentioned, it seems that the API for this exists but hasn't been released publicly because they are figuring out power management (that's my understanding anyway).
    02-25-13 11:30 AM
    Ok. Suppose you have seven apps open. You open banking (now your eighth open app, but your "most recent" app). Now you want to look up your ATM and you open maps - banking is now second in line in your active frames, and your "oldest" app (the 9th) would close. You look up your ATM, swipe up to switch back to banking. Neither maps nor banking would close in this scenario.
    I will now test out something similar with 3rd party apps (but won't be banking as my bank doesn't have an app yet) and edit this post to confirm.

EDIT: Ok - I opened the following in this order: The Economist, CBC News, Angry Birds, Flashlight, Cineplex, Mobile MyAccount, Anyplace, TimmyMe, and CB10. When I opened CB10, The Economist closed (yes, without warning). In this scenario, TimmyMe was the "bank" and CB10 the "maps", and they remained open along with all the other apps I listed (except Economist, the 9th).

Also there is a thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-work-775315/ that discusses how 3rd party background notifications work, but other "background" capabilities are not yet enabled for BB10.
    So one more question, are you able to rearrange the "closing order" of the active frames? Or does the user have no control over that.
    02-25-13 11:30 AM
    You can't rearrange the order of active frames yet.
    8 apps is really crippling, the battery life isn't stellar as it is, I shudder what it might be like with more apps running that continuously poll for data.

Phone, CrackBerry, BeBuzz/Hub++(see my review in the app section), BBM, WhatsApp, Skype, Browser

A lot of people will be rolling with that as a bare minimum. That leaves you with a grand total of 1(!) app you can open before things start turning themselves off.

As I said, you can't brag about multitasking on this phone yet. People should be trying to not mention that word because it's really nowhere near as good as the alternative OSes from a functionality point of view.
    yunvi likes this.
    02-25-13 11:36 AM
    So one more question, are you able to rearrange the "closing order" of the active frames? Or does the user have no control over that.
    Only by reopening and minimizing because the apps are always in order of "most recent" to "oldest" (oldest closes first). This sounds like it's a lot of work, but it's actually really super-quick and easy (much faster than it sounds). Pinning would be a nice feature though.
    HollyWOOD1906 and yunvi like this.
    02-25-13 11:36 AM
    No control over that. Re-opening the app will move it back to the top of the list.
    Also, certain native apps will not auto-close if they are the 8th app. In these scenarios, the most recent non-native app will close (7th, 6th, etc).
    yunvi likes this.
    02-25-13 11:37 AM
    You can't rearrange the order of active frames yet.
    8 apps is really crippling, the battery life isn't stellar as it is, I shudder what it might be like with more apps running that continuously poll for data.

Phone, CrackBerry, BeBuzz/Hub++(see my review in the app section), BBM, WhatsApp, Skype, Browser

A lot of people will be rolling with that as a bare minimum. That leaves you with a grand total of 1(!) app you can open before things start turning themselves off.

As I said, you can't brag about multitasking on this phone yet. People should be trying to not mention that word because it's really nowhere near as good as the alternative OSes from a functionality point of view.
    I am finally beginning to understand the point you have been bringing up. I don't want to go back to having to religiously closing apps all the time, but I could concede that if other stuff works well. I guess I have to see the device in action in person to figure it out.

Right now, I have 13 apps running on my EVOLTE. No impact on usage... screen stuff, weather, Tapatalk, Google Voice, G+.

And is it true that non-native apps do NOT do push, or did I make up that fallacy in my head?
    02-25-13 11:50 AM
    Even the good people over at Cliffs Notes would immediately go the Colin Powell route when faced with all that. Sheesh.
    02-25-13 12:29 PM
    And is it true that non-native apps do NOT do push, or did I make up that fallacy in my head?
    You can set up an app to use invocation on push, which will open the app when a push message comes in. I believe this will count as one of your 8 active frames though. The app doesn't have to be open to receive the push message, but the invocation will open it once the message arrives.
    HollyWOOD1906 likes this.
    02-25-13 12:33 PM
    Well, if nothing, it looks like the Z10 got some buzz out of this. Good or Bad, doesn't really matter.
    It might make people actually want to find the real facts about the Z10 on Blackberry.com or Crackberry.com.
    Let us all relax and enjoy the best phone out there - Ahh, Yes, the Z10.
    02-25-13 01:11 PM
    It might make people actually want to find the real facts about the Z10 on Blackberry.com or Crackberry.com.
    As long as they stay out of the forums, they'll get the facts
    02-25-13 01:17 PM
    This comment sounded like a Michael Bay film
    02-25-13 01:24 PM
    Big thing here is we see people making the same excuses for iOS that they used to us for BBOS when they were being compared. BB10 comes out on top or equal in many or all categories and the CAPs-lock person was able to come up with quite a large list of things they see as superior with BB.

iOS is a mature and aged OS. BB10 is brand new with lots of room for growth.
    02-25-13 01:58 PM
    Big thing here is we see people making the same excuses for iOS that they used to us for BBOS when they were being compared. BB10 comes out on top or equal in many or all categories and the CAPs-lock person was able to come up with quite a large list of things they see as superior with BB.

Read the thread again. I think you'll find the only people making the same excuses are BB fanboys, making the same excuses for BlackBerry that they did for RIM. Which helps no one, as the market share and stock price of BlackBerry will attest to.
    Read the thread again, with your eyes and mind open.
    mikeo007 and richardat like this.
    02-25-13 02:10 PM
    He went IN.
    02-25-13 03:56 PM
    I just want to say that BB10 can run apps in that background.
    Just not 3rd party apps, that will be coming in the future.
    But you have to agree, iOS is HORRIBLE at multi-tasking.
    Other than YouTube, can you give me an example of why it's horrible ?

. <snip>

I'll certainly give my opinion if the topic comes up, and when somebody asks for advice I talk about it....although even then I tend to stick to facts, and for personal opinion, I say "this iphone has been working great for me. It has done everything I wanted". Again, partly because these people should make their own free choice, and I don't want to be responsble if something goes wrong! LOL
    I agree with you on that. I like the SGIII commercial, "Ally, respect my system."

I fully agree there. Personally, I have no major issues with BB Maps for my 9900 so I ready to see what BB Maps on the Z10 is like. I never expected it to be anywhere as good as Google Maps like many others seemed to expect...which is crazy because BB doesn't have people working on the around the clock like Google. BB maps on the Z10 seems a little bare-bones, but I think it should still suit me.

I'm also waiting to see if its true that many apps that are missing will come to BB World when it arrives in the US. Hopefully more will come to light in the next week or two.
    I like the simplicity of BB maps, but what is the quickest way to get to your current location. Also is there a way to turn on GPS from BB maps ?

BB10 is based off of a 30 year old OS (1982, originally ran 8086 or 8088 CPU, I don't remember which ), like iOS it has grown and evolved into what it is today.
    02-25-13 04:09 PM
    Other than YouTube, can you give me an example of why it's horrible ?
    I wasn't the one who wrote any of that, but I could vouch for iOS being a pretty bad multitasker.
    BBOS: Hold menu button, click.
    Android: Hold menu button (or home, I forget), maybe scroll a little, click.
    BB10: Swipe home, click (real time multitasking plus probably the easiest IMO as it is the most integrated).
    iOS: Hold home button, scroll through the many many apps that are open (4 at a time) until you find the one you want, click.

Another con about multitasking on iOS is that you can't actually close an app when you press the home button. It will just minimize it. So if you want to actually close the app, you need to go into the multitasker (hold down the home button), then hold down on the screen, and close it from there. IMO, multitasking on iOS devices is more of a pain than any other platform.
    02-25-13 04:26 PM
    I wasn't the one who wrote any of that, but I could vouch for iOS being a pretty bad multitasker.
    BBOS: Hold menu button, click.
    Android: Hold menu button (or home, I forget), maybe scroll a little, click.
    BB10: Swipe home, click (real time multitasking plus probably the easiest IMO as it is the most integrated).
    iOS: Hold home button, scroll through the many many apps that are open (4 at a time) until you find the one you want, click.
    BB10 only shows 4 open apps at a time as well...seems like a moot point.

Another con about multitasking on iOS is that you can't actually close an app when you press the home button. It will just minimize it. So if you want to actually close the app, you need to go into the multitasker (hold down the home button), then hold down on the screen, and close it from there. IMO, multitasking on iOS devices is more of a pain than any other platform.
    You can't actually close an app with ANY of the mentioned OSs by pressing the home button. Again a moot point. Sounds like fanboyism and ignorance about other platforms is clouding your judgement.
    02-25-13 04:38 PM
    BB10 only shows 4 open apps at a time as well...seems like a moot point.

You can't actually close an app with ANY of the mentioned OSs by pressing the home button. Again a moot point. Sounds like fanboyism and ignorance about other platforms is clouding your judgement.
    I am the complete opposite. I am just saying it is an inconvenience that you need to go into your multitasker to close an app. With BBOS, you can close an app within the app using the menu button and you can do the same thing with Android. The home button on those 2 platforms will take you home. They have other buttons which will allow you to close the app. Also, with BB10, those 4 apps are real time showing relevant information. Even my friends with iPhones think multitasking is a hassle. I have used the 3 big platforms: BlackBerry, Android, and iOS. I have chosen BlackBerry because that is my choice, not just for fanboyism or "just because".
    02-25-13 04:46 PM
    I am the complete opposite. I am just saying it is an inconvenience that you need to go into your multitasker to close an app. With BBOS, you can close an app within the app using the menu button and you can do the same thing with Android. The home button on those 2 platforms will take you home. They have other buttons which will allow you to close the app. Also, with BB10, those 4 apps are real time showing relevant information. Even my friends with iPhones think multitasking is a hassle. I have used the 3 big platforms: BlackBerry, Android, and iOS. I have chosen BlackBerry because that is my choice, not just for fanboyism or "just because".
    I have a hard time believing you've used iOS for anymore than a few minutes. First of all, your description of how multitasking works is incorrect on several points. Also, you're obviously not aware of the fact that there's no need to close apps at all in either iOS or newer versions of Android.

Each platform offers different multitasking. None is better, they are all simply different.
    If you need apps to be able to "free-wheel" and run non-stop even when not in use, then BB10 may be better for you.
    If you want to conserve battery life and have apps only run required processes in the background, then iOS may be better for you.
    If you want flexibility or a hybrid of the two options, then Android may be better for you.
    barnfoot and rlsmith999 like this.
    02-25-13 05:04 PM
    I have a hard time believing you've used iOS for anymore than a few minutes. First of all, your description of how multitasking works is incorrect on several points. Also, you're obviously not aware of the fact that there's no need to close apps at all in either iOS or newer versions of Android.

Each platform offers different multitasking. None is better, they are all simply different.
    If you need apps to be able to "free-wheel" and run non-stop even when not in use, then BB10 may be better for you.
    If you want to conserve battery life and have apps only run required processes in the background, then iOS may be better for you.
    If you want flexibility or a hybrid of the two options, then Android may be better for you.
    I've had iOS for years. The first one being a 2nd gen iPod Touch. And the "no need to close apps" on Android and iOS could very well be applied to BBOS too...or any mobile OS for that matter. I also don't get how my description on how multitasking works is wrong either.
    02-25-13 05:08 PM
112 ... 2345