Meaning, if I were to enter my home address, work, favorites, etc? I noticed if certain apps are installed, you're warned that it can access your pics, doc, etc. Can these apps access your personal information on BlackBerry Maps?

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    vjvj likes this.
    02-15-13 01:27 PM
    Good question. One of the main advantages of a bb over Android/Apple is taht I do not want to be providing information to anyone (carrier/phone maker/app makers/anyone else) such as where I go etc.

I hope this is still the case.
    02-15-13 01:36 PM
    LOL I thought you were thinking along the lines of a terrorist hacking into your phone and telling his compatriots where you were and scared they were going to get you. To that I was going to say, "really? That's what you are scared of? " But that's not the case. To you actual concern I don't know but it's a good thought.
    02-15-13 02:05 PM
    LOL I thought you were thinking along the lines of a terrorist hacking into your phone and telling his compatriots where you were and scared they were going to get you. To that I was going to say, "really? That's what you are scared of? " But that's not the case. To you actual concern I don't know but it's a good thought.
    I was thinking more along the lines of home address, kids school address, parents address. Address of my stash of gold bars. Stuff like that. It's a dangerous world out there. You can never be too careful.

02-15-13 02:09 PM
    It isnt secure. BB sends a .txt file to their servers containing your most frequented locations. Which then people can download. Of course, it's ment for devs. But anyone with a BBID can.
    02-15-13 02:53 PM
    It isnt secure. BB sends a .txt file to their servers containing your most frequented locations. Which then people can download. Of course, it's ment for devs. But anyone with a BBID can.
    Care to expand on this?
    Sounds a little fictive to me...
    cjcampbell likes this.
    02-15-13 05:31 PM
    So much BS in here it's hard to know where to start...

02-15-13 05:47 PM
    The map app has access to your current location and saved locations only. It can also tell when you are on the phone so that if you're using turn by turn voice navigation, it will turn itself off. You can see it in the permissions area of the settings. You are welcome to turn those permissions off if you want to do so.
    02-15-13 06:08 PM
    Meaning, if I were to enter my home address, work, favorites, etc? I noticed if certain apps are installed, you're warned that it can access your pics, doc, etc. Can these apps access your personal information on BlackBerry Maps?
    It sounds like a basic rundown on app permission is what you're looking for. I'm sure it's already been posted and it's covered by a ton of documentation out there.

EDIT: OP = diggler649 = banned. How do you get banned in 2 posts???
    Last edited by b320; 02-15-13 at 07:58 PM.
    02-15-13 07:45 PM
    Maybe the OP is temporarily banned while the admins hack the ".txt file" that "BB sends ... to their servers containing your most frequented locations" so that they can find the "address of [his] stash of gold bars."
    b320 and rasmadrak like this.
    02-15-13 08:03 PM
    Yeah, I'd like to know about this ".txt" file myself - "anyone with a BBID can download it"... what?

Most likely in order to provide a location-based service, especially one that relies on a data link to update continuously, there is going to be some sort of data available to the app vendor or carrier about the users, especially when one of the apparent functions of ie the Blackberry Traffic app (now integrated into the Maps app in BB10 apparently) is to "crowdsource" info like travel speeds, in order to update everyone else on current traffic-flow information.

BUT: companies can be obnoxious and cavalier about who gets access to this info, or just disseminate it on a "need to know" basis.

One of the absolute TOP reasons I stick w/ Blackberry is because I feel that they are not as bad as companies like Google or Facebook about exploiting personal data. I hope that is also the case with BB10, including location data. Apple got themselves in some PR hot water last year when people found out it was keeping a detailed log of everywhere the phone traveled, and had to change some things as a result.
    02-16-13 01:41 AM
    Holly crap! Sorry guys! The txt thing was a joke! BB Maps is secure. I havent checked on BB10 but at least on older devices there is an option that says "anonymously collect data" or something among those lines. If you turned that off. BBRY could still have access to your location if they needed to (BB protect, disabling a stolen phone, etc); but they didn't log your trips, search queries, etc to sell that info or improve their services. So you are pretty much safe like that.
    On apps, however, if the dev requests location permissions and you grant it, they have free access over your devices gps. But its not like they do that, its usually for statistic purposes and demographics. You can still deny GPS access on most apps and they will work as usual.
    02-16-13 02:07 AM
    Word of advice Don't put your house number in to the address, I'm sure you know how far down a street you live!
    That way you get home, and hackers/thieves do not know where you live!
    calicocat2010 likes this.
    02-16-13 02:31 AM