Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. patmur2010's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB11460
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default How to purchase no contract? AT&T

    I am with AT&T and I plan to purchase a bb10 without a contract but I think ATT uses a different type of signal than some companies. So what do I need to know in order to purchase the correct bb10 phone? Thanks for the help.
  2. raino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,350 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,487 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    You would want to make sure it has the following bands:

    3G/"4G": 850/900/1900/2100 (I think the deployed bands are 850 and 1900 MHz)
    LTE: 700/1700 MHz
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30

    Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
  3. FlashFlare11's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,187 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    I'm planning to do the exact same thing and I'm also with AT&T. I was just planning on buying the device from them with no contract. It's the best way to ensure that the device is fully compatible with their network. I've also heard that you can buy online with a month-to-month plan and just cancel the plan once you get the device and use your current SIM.

    My question, though, is will AT&T charge me to switch to LTE data the current data plan I have with my Torch?
  4. raino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,350 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,487 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashFlare11 View Post
    My question, though, is will AT&T charge me to switch to LTE data the current data plan I have with my Torch?
    You might want to look into the AT&T sub-forum for a definitive answer, but I haven't heard anything about them charging extra for a LTE plan if you're grandfathered in. Can you imagine the outcry if they pulled one like that?

    Instead of buying a phone on a month to month plan, have you thought about buying one outright from a third party seller like Best Buy, Amazon, etc. (assuming AT&T doesn't sell phones without a plan?) It may be worth looking into how much the phone+month of service cost versus just the phone. If AT&T doesn't subsidize much for one month of service, you might be better off just buying the phone w/o a plan and then using the SIM from your Torch.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30

    Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    Thanked by 2:
    aha (12-23-2012),  FlashFlare11 (12-21-2012) 
  5. FlashFlare11's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,187 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    You might want to look into the AT&T sub-forum for a definitive answer, but I haven't heard anything about them charging extra for a LTE plan if you're grandfathered in. Can you imagine the outcry if they pulled one like that?

    Instead of buying a phone on a month to month plan, have you thought about buying one outright from a third party seller like Best Buy, Amazon, etc. (assuming AT&T doesn't sell phones without a plan?) It may be worth looking into how much the phone+month of service cost versus just the phone. If AT&T doesn't subsidize much for one month of service, you might be better off just buying the phone w/o a plan and then using the SIM from your Torch.
    I asked an AT&T rep and wasn't given a definitive answer. I need to look into that more closely before BB10 comes out (because nothing is stopping me from getting a Z10 on launch day!). I'd need a new SIM anyway so perhaps I can get an LTE micro-SIM from AT&T when I purchase the device.

    I don't think AT&T subsidizes on month-to-month plans because I don't think commitments are involved with month-to-month plans. I also wasn't aware that Best Buy was authorized to sell devices w/o contracts (because they sell for the carriers) but if they can, I certainly will look into it. Thanks for the heads up!
  6. raino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,350 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,487 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashFlare11 View Post
    I asked an AT&T rep and wasn't given a definitive answer. I need to look into that more closely before BB10 comes out (because nothing is stopping me from getting a Z10 on launch day!). I'd need a new SIM anyway so perhaps I can get an LTE micro-SIM from AT&T when I purchase the device.

    I don't think AT&T subsidizes on month-to-month plans because I don't think commitments are involved with month-to-month plans. I also wasn't aware that Best Buy was authorized to sell devices w/o contracts (because they sell for the carriers) but if they can, I certainly will look into it. Thanks for the heads up!
    Yeah..that's what I thought initially: no subsidy for a month of full data. But then, I figured since month-month plans are essentially contract rates without the contract, there might be a subsidy involved. AT&T, I give you too much credit

    Re: micro SIM, yes you'll have to get one. I got a S3 recently, and getting a micro SIM through my carrier's store cost me $20. I felt like it was an excessive charge, but since I was in a time bind, I ate it. Anyway, moral of story: carriers may charge for micro SIMs, especially if you're not buying the phone through them.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30

    Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
  7. pantlesspenguin's Avatar

    Posts
    5,677 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,819 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B
    #7  

    Default

    I'm not on at&t but I've never had any difficulty going into my carrier and just buying a phone outright.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
  8. giper54's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    338 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A0E7EF
    #8  

    Default How to purchase no contract?

    I have bought off contract from both AT&T and best buy. Best buy is cryptically more expensive. Sometimes Best Buy won't sell off contract the first week. I bought the 9810 and 9900 the first day it was available at an AT&T corporate store.
  9. joeldf's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,089 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    You might want to look into the AT&T sub-forum for a definitive answer, but I haven't heard anything about them charging extra for a LTE plan if you're grandfathered in. Can you imagine the outcry if they pulled one like that?
    Well, so far they haven't done that for the LTE phones they have now with grandfathered plans. I doubt they would treat the BB10 differently.
    ___________________

    Joel
  10. eve6er69's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,052 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    one of the mods here had a verizon unlimited plan. went from a 9900 to a thunderbolt lte and he just had to get the new lte codes put on his acct and he was good. didnt need to change his plan.
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
  11. torrado Williams's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    46 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    I was also finding a place to buy no contract phone, i purchased from amazon
  12. Xinstaller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    I have AT&T and this summer I went from the Torch to a Motorola Atrix HD. They carried over my grandfathered unlimited plan onto the Atrix HD which is 4G lte and micro sim. I too am wanting to or have to buy a BB10 device without contract as I am not happy with the Atrix (Android OS). Maybe RIM could offer a trade in program for customers that have a non BB phone to soften the blow in coming back to the BB platform again. Imagine a trade in program for an unlocked BB device right from the manufacturer????
  13. jimpilot's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,283 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,354 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    When the Bold 9000 came out I went to an AT&T store to purchase outright. They would not sell it without a plan. So be careful. If you're going that route might want to work it out with store in advance.
  14. Dim-Ize's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    430 Posts
    Global Posts
    705 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    I have a corporate issued 9900 on AT&T. Isn't it 4G?

    If I get the new Z10 out of my own pocket, swap SIM - would I be okay? Or, would they have to add LTE to my contract?
  15. lnichols's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,442 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,980 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default Re: How to purchase no contract? AT&T

    Go into the AT&T store, say you want BB10 phone, pay full price, then walk out with phone.
  16. FlashFlare11's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,187 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    Go into the AT&T store, say you want BB10 phone, pay full price, then walk out with phone.
    I honestly hope it turns out to be that simple. I've heard varying stories from people who've had no problems to others who weren't permitted to walk out without signing a contract (or at the very least, purchasing a plan).

    Please make it easy for us to get our long-awaited BB10, AT&T!
  17. #17  

    Default Re: How to purchase no contract? AT&T

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashFlare11 View Post
    I honestly hope it turns out to be that simple. I've heard varying stories from people who've had no problems to others who weren't permitted to walk out without signing a contract (or at the very least, purchasing a plan).

    Please make it easy for us to get our long-awaited BB10, AT&T!
    Go to Best Buy if they give you troubles.

    Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-08-2013 at 12:20 PM.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
  18. nite732's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    At&T offers no commitment pricing for new accounts and upgrades.
    I couldn't help notice your pain. Come share it with me.

Similar Threads

  1. How to delete all emails at once?
    By thebigd in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2013, 12:14 PM
  2. How to stop emails while at work
    By thebigad in forum BlackBerry 8830 WE
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 04:46 AM
  3. How to buy no commitment from AT&T?!
    By toyanucci in forum BlackBerry Torch 9810
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 05:09 PM
  4. How to setup / pimp an AT&T 8300?
    By cibby in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 01:28 AM
  5. How to delete sample video & at&t's ptt?!
    By purpleberry218 in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 12:14 AM

Posting Permissions