I'm trying to decide how to get a Z10 and have two options.
    - Pay full retail for the Z10. Stay with the current plan with unlimited data, 500 min of talk time, and 500 txt messages. So far I've never hit the talk time or txt limit.
    - Pay 199.00 for the Z10 . Sign up with a limited data plan and unlimited talk and text.

What I don't know is how much data the Z10 consumes in a a month. Verizon offers 1 gig and 2 gig plans but I fear overages.

How much data have you used in the last month with your Z10?

Thanks!
    03-14-13 10:07 AM
    I have a 6GB data plan that I have never gone over. In the first month of owning the Z10, with what I consider fairly regular usage, I used 2GB's of data. But that 2GB is also with my PlayBook being bridged to my Z10. With my previous BlackBerry, a 9900, I would use an average of just over 1GB per month with the same usage and conditions.

Everyone's usage and usage patterns will be different. For example, my Z10 and PlayBook are connected to WiFi all day while I'm at the office. For days I'm not at the office, when I'm in the field checking on job sites, my Z10 and PlayBook rely more on my data plan. If you can stay connected to a WiFi network for the majority of your use, you should be fine with a lower GB data plan. If you have no WiFi available during your heavy-use hours, then you may want to look into a mid to high GB data plan.

What phone are you coming from, how much data would you use in an average month and what are your data patterns?
    03-14-13 10:16 AM
    I currently have a Bold 9930 and a Playbook. Over the last 6 months I've averaged about 70 mb a month. This may change once I get a Z10 since the 9930 is not that useful for streaming media (in my opinion).

I compared the 2 gig data plan to my current plan over the next two years. The 2 gig plan would cost 533.00 more and the 4 gig would be 720.00 more, not including overages. The phone would cost 599.00 today.

Very tempted to pre-order it today.
    03-14-13 10:57 AM
    I would suggest doing what you need to in order to keep unlimited data.

There is an increase of data usage with BlackBerry 10 devices. More on par with current smartphones on the market.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 11:00 AM
    I have 700mb left out of my 1 gig allowance and I am halfway through the month. I would say my usage is moderate and I try to use wifi where I can.
    I'd say get 2gig as a minimum.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 11:05 AM
    Also on my 9810 I never went over 50mb a month. The z10 devours data compared to legacy devices

Posted via CB10
    Craig Tewsley likes this.
    03-14-13 11:06 AM
    I'd try to hold on to that unlimited data plan. I've got 6gb of data per month and i'm consistently using above 5, going back to when i had my 9900.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 11:13 AM
    I use about 7 gb per month, but that's because I use bit torque to download the walking dead Sunday nights because I'm at work until midnight

Also download other torrents and lots of mp3s

I have 6 gb plan with rogers, I work for the company so I get big savings on overage charges

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 11:20 AM
    I'm on an unlimited data plan, when not on wifi I find I use around 6Gb/month.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 11:22 AM
    Working at Rogers and speaking to customers who went from a legacy BlackBerry to the z10 or even to iphone or android, I would say you should expect your data to increase by 4-5 times the amount you are used to using, and that's if you just go about using it your normal way of using a smartphone in the past, any new activities you do after getting the new device, budget your usage to be higher than my estimate

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent likes this.
    03-14-13 11:32 AM
    I got my Rogers bill today and surprisingly I only used 80mb. I'm connected to wifi most of the time, have data turned off if I'm on wifi and also have lte off. I guess I was scared going over my data from reading people's experience on this forum. So at least I know, I don't really have to worry about it that much :-)

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 12:05 PM
    i average about 350 meg a month with my z10
    03-14-13 12:16 PM
    I'm in the exact same boat. I have a family plan with unlimited data. I generally use less than a gig of data a month. But I rarely stream media.

With BB10 - if you are a sports fan - you are likely going to be streaming at least audio for sporting events and even occassionalyy video or replays. I have found over the last 2 years just listening to MLB AT BAT games on my train ride home during the summer about (2 hours) my data usage sky rockets.

I don't torrent or download mp3s, movies or evn podcasts when I'm not on wifi. But I can imagine that one or two video calls or a netflix movie will ratchet up the data usage as well.

Bottom line for me and my family - no upgrades from here on out. It's not worth it.

Verizon can have my unlimited data back when they pry it from my cold dead hands.
    frannip, bunky1971 and crazeee4u like this.
    03-14-13 12:18 PM
    With my legacy device, an average month for me would be 30-50mb/month. My first month with some app downloads etc I was about 150mb/month. I do not stream videos often, don't download a lot of media. I use my phone for email, text, bbm, occasional internet browsing. So it is definitely personal use habits that will dictate how much data you need. I do not leave apps open that continuously check for updates such as facebook, twitter, weather programs, these will eat up data and kill your battery quickly. I have no need nor desire to be constantly updated by these things.
    03-14-13 12:23 PM
    I ordered the Zorro 10 at full retail. It's worth the price if I don't have to worry about data overage charges.

Verizon has some good online tools for comparing current plans to others they offer. The new plans would have cost more over the next 2 years, not to mention the initial 199.00 for the phone.

Now I must be patient.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    03-14-13 12:26 PM
    On my Bold I would typically use 500-600MB per month.

In the first month with my Z10 I used 940MB or so, 2 weeks into my second month, my data usage has further declines and i suspect I might be closer to my Bold's data level.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 12:55 PM

This is from my bill that I just got from Bell Canada a day or so ago.
    I had a 9900 for the first 5 months in the graph and I switched to the Z10 shortly after Canada launch date, around Feb 11 or so. Bucking the trend, my data usage seems to have gone down in Feb

This month, with 22 days left, I'm at 163 mb, so tracking about the same.

Keep in mind that Bell seems to still be doing data through BIS, as my APN (greyed out, can't change) is "blackberry.net"

I'm currently on a 1 GB data plan, so I don't see a need to change my plan upwards at this point.
    03-14-13 01:00 PM
    I strongly suggest keeping unlimited data until death! If anything, I would look to up the text messages unless you can be diligent about staying under 500.

I too have Verizon and an unlimited data plan. They have been trying to convince me to switch to a tiered plan since it started quoting my average data usage. My answer is always "that is until I use a phone that can stream data faster and without compression!". I'm not stupid, the difference in full price vs upgrade price pays for itself within 6 months. I won't give Verizon more of my money every month just to save $400 once every 2 years. Nope, not doing it.

BUT, if you should choose to tier it, I would go for the biggest and downgrade every month until you get a good idea of what your usage will be.
    Gray likes this.
    03-14-13 01:02 PM
    I have a 6GB plan with Rogers, and I NEVER use WiFi with my device (why take the hit in speed when I have that much data?). My peak for last month, including the 150MB update, was just over 700MB. That included all my app downloads, browsing, BBM, YouTube, etc.

It's definitely higher than when I was using my 9900, but certainly not 5x higher. 3x higher at the most. A good tip for saving yourself on your data is to try to find RSS feeds in your browser, and aim for mobile versions of websites where possible (fully rendered sites will kill your data allowance).

JB
    pandapurple likes this.
    03-14-13 01:03 PM
    Probably about 3-4gb a month, but I love slacker radio and watching youtube vids in high quality

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 01:16 PM
    About 2GB of data, which is PlayBook pairing, lots of email, BBM, you tube on the go. Things will go down hill from there with WhatsApp and soon Skype.

Posted via CB10
    pandapurple likes this.
    03-14-13 01:29 PM
    Today my one full month billing cycle ends for my Z10 for its first full month.

I'm at 102 mb used.

Really not to0 sure how you guys eat up gigabytes and gigabytes of data! lol

-Chris-
    Last edited by remus2k; 03-14-13 at 02:37 PM.
    03-14-13 01:57 PM
    I've used 73.28MB in about 3 weeks on a 1GB plan, as remus said, I don't know how some of you can eat so much data!!
    03-14-13 02:24 PM
    I purchased the phone at full price and I went with the flex data plan for tablets. So far I have used over 3 gigs of data. I use data everywhere even at home.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 02:31 PM
    I chose to purchase at full retail and keep my unlimited plan. This way I don't have to worry about the cost of data. Had I waited and bought the phone for 199.00 the plans would have been more expensive.

Now I must wait for FedEx to arrive in two weeks.
    03-14-13 02:33 PM
103 123 ...