I am wondering how much data the native maps app uses on average. Heading up to the cottage, 3 hours away, I'd like to use the navigation but not if it uses an unreasonable amount of data.

Or, because it is built using Tom Tom map data, does it not have to download data as it goes, using gps only?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 04:56 PM
    Great question! Would like to know as well

Black is best Z10!
    03-04-13 05:11 PM
    Bump
    Me too
    03-04-13 06:14 PM
    From what I have read and been told the data is downloaded instantaneously as required. Updates are constant from the mapping services as information is obtained. This is also how updated traffic and road services can be quickly changed. The amount of data used would depend on the amount of movement or displacement of position, and the details displayed.

Try this:
    If you can send a capture of a map page, and then look at the properties of the page on a PC this should reveal a good idea of the data per page. I am making a logical guess here...
    03-04-13 06:45 PM
    The risk is if you are roaming the cost could scare you silly.

Black is best Z10!
    03-04-13 07:36 PM
    You can check data usage with the Data Usage Counter app

05-08-13 06:16 AM
    Checked this yesterday and it didn't use any data. I'm on AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 06:25 AM
    I just got back from a business trip to Asia. To save roaming I bought a local sim card and used a separate phone in two different countries. I used very little data for email on my BBerry and one or two phone calls. But I did use the Map feature on a few occasions when lost in some Asian cities. Not excessive, but finding streets while walking in the central areas of Manila and Hong Kong. I came back to a $2,800.00 bill for roaming wireless use! Is this possible? How much data does this BlackBerry app draw down with the native Maps app? I discovered my service provider (Rogers Canada) charges $15.00 per meg roaming. Could this be correct?
    01-07-14 05:16 PM
    I ran up an $800 bill on Rogers over two weeks in the UK doing about the same as you. That was a couple years ago on BBOS 6 and on a BES.

So, I'm not surprised by your bill.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 05:30 PM
    I just got back from a business trip to Asia. To save roaming I bought a local sim card and used a separate phone in two different countries. I used very little data for email on my BBerry and one or two phone calls. But I did use the Map feature on a few occasions when lost in some Asian cities. Not excessive, but finding streets while walking in the central areas of Manila and Hong Kong. I came back to a $2,800.00 bill for roaming wireless use! Is this possible? How much data does this BlackBerry app draw down with the native Maps app? I discovered my service provider (Rogers Canada) charges $15.00 per meg roaming. Could this be correct?
    That is painful. I'd seek a more detailed bill.

I know that when I went to Europe in 2009, Verizon had a global plan for an additional $30/month for unlimited Data. When I went last January, they had no such plan. Calculating what the 2009 trip's data would have cost on their current prices - about $3,000!!!! Needless to say I used a lot of wifi and very little data.
    01-07-14 08:33 PM