I know there are many technical experts on this forum. What is the process from the carrier side to manage the OS updates? Does BlackBerry send it out for testing? Do they have a do not release before date? Teleconference? Is it loaded on the carriers servers? Is the load process BlackBerry code? Is there a blackberry tech on site when it goes live? Any information would be interesting ( I searched the topic but could not find this discussed - but if it's here a link would be appreciated)

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 02:33 PM
    I'm not a huge technical expert, but I do know a few things...
    BlackBerry will send the carriers the OS update once they're done with it. From there, it's up to the carrier to essentially test it on their devices.
    The carriers then may have their own developers add the carrier bloatware to the phone (ie - any carrier-specific apps and whatnot). They also have to make sure all their data services work properly.
    10-22-13 02:54 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is not how apple / samsung does it? It seems to me that doing a global rollout would be much smarter. Don't really see why carriers should have any say in the matter. It's not like BlackBerry would design an OS upgrade that broke their infrastructure in some way. I don't even have a carrier locked phone and are mightily pissed that BlackBerry cannot coordinate a world wide release like the other giants in the industry.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 02:59 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is not how apple / samsung does it? It seems to me that doing a global rollout would be much smarter. Don't really see why carriers should have any say in the matter. It's not like BlackBerry would design an OS upgrade that broke their infrastructure in some way. I don't even have a carrier locked phone and are mightily pissed that BlackBerry cannot coordinate a world wide release like the other giants in the industry.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, Samsung does go through the carriers. AT&T very much controls what goes out to the Samsung phones they carry. They are often just as behind the rest of the world as BlackBerry users on AT&T are.

Apple does in-house testing with carriers. That's why you don't hear much about an up coming OS for months, then suddenly, there it is. Of course even they have problems out the gate.

You would think that BlackBerry wouldn't do something to mess up the carrier's infrastructure, but, the thing is, carriers have to be the first line of support for the phones they carry. In the US especially, someone has a problem with the phone, the first person they call is their carrier. Not BlackBerry. That's just how most people deal with it.

As to how it gets released? BlackBerry holds all the files on their server, but only let's you get what is allowed based on the SIM card in your phone, telling the BB servers what carrier your phone is on.

That's why people can stick a SIM from another carrier and get prompted to upgrade to a different OS than they got on their primary carrier's SIM.

Posted via CB10
    bgregory902 likes this.
    10-22-13 03:40 PM