Today i received my Blackberry Leather Pocket and i noticed it was NFC-friendly.

And i was like wow cool but whats nfc? but then i remembered turning nfc off when i first started the phone thinking it wasn't something i would use. I just turned it off for the sake of the battery life.

I did google it now and i do know NFC stands for Near-Field-Communication. You can share files, bbm contacts etc with nfc, which isnt really that big for me. I mean we have bluetooth and for bbm we can just scan the smart tags with our camera.

But what i did find out you can also use it to pay! I do know supermarkets in my area already got nfc terminals.
    But how can i pay with my blackberry nfc chip? i got my blackberry id + paypal set up but i dont know if i can pay now or what i have to do to pay with my blackberry.

I dont wanna be an ***** run up to this thing 10 people behind me and it wont work...

I did find videos about file transfer etc with nfc but NOTHING for payment with an nfc blackberry.
    03-05-13 10:19 AM
    You'll need to have an application to make a payment using merchant terminals (paywave, paypass), and a "secure SIM" (also called NFC-enabled). Your carrier may have given you such a SIM.

I know that in Canada, there is a CIBC mobile payment app for the 9900 (not yet for the Z10) that allows you to "load" your CIBC Visa card onto a secure SIM, then you can open the app and pay at any store that accepts Visa paywave.

I'm not sure what apps are available for this yet for the Z10, and I imagine it would depend on your region.
    03-05-13 10:25 AM
    I asked the same question, apparently until someone makes an app that allows this feature NFC is only for file transfers
    03-05-13 10:25 AM
    The phone has the ability, but how long do we have to wait until VISA makes an app for BB10???
    03-05-13 10:29 AM
    So i have to wait for my:
    network to send me an nfc sim?
    and
    Visa/Master Card to release an app for bb10

while those terminals in the supermarket already exist?

and then i can't even pay with holding the nfc chip in front of the terminal, then i have to open an app first?
    03-05-13 10:37 AM
    Think about what would happen if you lost your phone and all you had to do was tap and go everywhere? Yeah, it probably won't be that easy...then again, I have never seen it in action as it is not available in Canada yet and the various credit card companies have done stranger things. Pay-pass comes to mind.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 10:41 AM
    network to send me an nfc sim?
    and
    Visa/Master Card to release an app for bb10

while those terminals in the supermarket already exist?

and then i can't even pay with holding the nfc chip in front of the terminal, then i have to open an app first?
    You might already have a secure SIM, depends on your carrier.

As for how it works, I'm sure you'd have to open the app first, as dejanh says it's a security measure.
    Here's the link to the details of the app that's available for the 9900 (there's a video):
    https://www.cibc.com/ca/features/mob...obilePayment-E
    03-05-13 10:48 AM
    network to send me an nfc sim? - Depends on your carrier. Rogers included the NFC sims at Z10 purchase.
    and
    Visa/Master Card to release an app for bb10 - Nope, wait for your bank to get their crap together and build an app.

while those terminals in the supermarket already exist? - there's the kicker!! Yup, they're just sitting, waiting to be used.

and then i can't even pay with holding the nfc chip in front of the terminal, then i have to open an app first? - Will depend on your banks design. If they make it like Interact does, you'll be able to simply swipe and go with a limit set at $50. I use this on my RBC card instead of using that damn chip which is NOT secure (even though they claim it is) It's soooooo nice to swipe and go. No worries, not waiting for the chip to read, no processing. (yes I know the risks and it's worth the convenience)
    03-05-13 10:48 AM
    NFC is already in Canada and being tested by some companies already.

Canada
    03-05-13 10:50 AM
    Think about what would happen if you lost your phone and all you had to do was tap and go everywhere? Yeah, it probably won't be that easy...then again, I have never seen it in action as it is not available in Canada yet and the various credit card companies have done stranger things. Pay-pass comes to mind.

Posted via CB10
    I could also say think about what happens already now when you lose your wallet...

From what i read its only for a amount of 20€ then you have to type in a PIN.
    so it would be a n1 technology for lunchbreak etc.

but if it will be that complicated to use it...
    maybe nfc will stay shut down on my blackberry for the next years
    03-05-13 10:53 AM