People may know that my battery, no matter if being used or idle lasts 2-4 hours max.
    I have changed everything in settings to help it and deleted apps, battery pulled, reset. Everything, with no avail.

I contacted O2 and told them of the situation and they were happy to send me a replacement in a couple of days.
    They also stated that if the same thing continues to happen on the new handset that they will replace that too within so many days.
    Decent of them to be so helpful to me, and I really do hope that a new handset fixes this issue as I do love the BB10 software and the Z10 as a whole. it's just impossible to use with a 4 hour max battery life.
    The phone also heats up to an extreme temperature to the point that it is difficult to hold.

I do however fear that the problem will persist in whatever Z10 they send me.
    If that is indeed the case, (which I hope it is not) I wonder will they allow me to do some sort of exchange or trade for another phone in around the same price range from their store, possibly an iPhone 5 or HTC One. Hell I wouldn't even mind a used or refurbished one, just as long as I have a working phone.

I am on an O2 contract that will last 24months. So I would like to have a working (preferably Z10) for the majority of it if not all.
    06-01-13 08:39 AM
    The battery use discovery process is documented on this site. I've written two posts explaining a systematic approach. Yes I know you are getting a new phone but, let me tell you how to figure out where the problem is, in case it could help you or others.

First you need an app that gives you an accurate battery charge graph. You can do it just using Settings, About, Hardware, Battery but I find that too tedious. I use BatteryGuru but there are other apps you can use.

Graph battery level over a one hour period without changing anything. This is your baseline. The goal is to improve from there.

Set your phone into Airplane mode. Hit the lock button to blank the screen. Set it down and don't touch it for an hour. Pick it up and look at the battery use graph after the hour is up. It should have used almost no battery at all in that hour. I.E., the graph is nearly flat.

If the battery level drops more than 2% over that hour, you have a hardware defect, a bad firmware (BB10) load or an app that is messed up. I would back it up, wipe it and reload the OS. Check the battery use for an hour. Is it better? If not, replace the hardware.

If the reload fixed the excessive battery use, set up your accounts and check the battery use. Is it still OK? If not, remove accounts one at a time until you find the one using too much power.

If it is good with accounts set up, restore the backup. Is it still OK? If not, try to figure out what you restored that caused the problem. This may not be easy, or even possible.

Finally if you got here and your idle time battery use is under 3% per hour, start installing apps. You should have tracked down your problem by this point.
    06-01-13 09:14 AM
    There are settings you can tune to reduce power usage. Generally these make only small differences. Screen brightness makes a big difference and you should reduce it to the lowest setting you are comfortable with. Most other things make so little difference they are hardly worth it. Location services can stay on as they use an almost immeasurable amount of power (unless you have an app that uses them and it is stuck running). Wi-Fi is almost always going to reduce battery use when it's on. Bluetooth matters very little unless it is active (like sending an audio stream). NFC should stay on because for power use, it is too small to notice. Allow Gestures When Locked does make a difference but I like having that on so I accept the battery use.

Finally we come to 2G, 3G, 4G and LTE. For me, I can't see any difference in battery life no matter what setting I use. But, I'm in a cell tower rich area. My coverage with LTE is very good so my Z10 doesn't work hard to find a mobile connection. For others, this may be worth testing battery use over time with different settings.
    06-01-13 09:33 AM
    I forgot something important. When you load a new OS, add accounts, or change the email history period, the universal search feature has to build new indexes. This is power expensive and takes time. On my Z10 it took about 30 hours and the battery usage was high until it finished. I'm guessing that is what was happening but I measured a distinct difference in battery use during the first 30 hours and after.
    06-01-13 09:46 AM
    Great tips man! If the problem persists, I will definitely consult your guide lines!

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 04:26 PM
    So the estimated arrival of my new replacement handset will arrive tomorrow or Wednesday and today my battery has been flawless.
    I have changed nothing on my phone whatsoever and all of a sudden the battery life goes from not lasting 4 hours to lasting 15+.
    I am not sure why this is happening, but I will accept the replacement regardless as I don't want to risk the battery going on the fritz again.
    Like I said, I changed nothing and the battery just seemed to be okay. Very buggy I reckon.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 01:50 PM