OP. Please Google CNET Z10 Camera. They have a test that puts it ahead of S3 and in par with iPhone 5. Certainly puts my Nexus 4 to shame, so your blackjack must've had some amazing that oddly bests Samsung's own flagship today. Lol some people on this forum really don't have brains.
    Agreed about the Nexus 4 camera. Had one for about a week and the camera was awful.
    02-09-13 07:22 PM
    Seriously? Gestures difficult for you...? OMG... ok Gestures 101 for gesture-challenged mobile phone users: (if you have established being mobile-gesture-challenged, go directly to rule 5 below)

Rule 1. Place finger just on edge of screen (any edge)
    Rule 2. swipe inwards (notice what happens)
    Rule 3. Repeat same gesture 7 times (basic phycology says average repetitions a human needs to learn something in kinetics is 7 times)
    Rule 4. If you still cannot understand it you are phone-gesture-challenged. Now with this established go to number 5
    Rule number 5: PRETEND THAT SWEEPING UPWARDS FROM BOTTOM IS YOUR HOME BUTTON ON AN IPHONE. That should short it out. If you STILL have problems do not use a Z10, since advanced technology would be greatly underemployed in your hands.

PS: Notice how most 4 y.o kids nowadays go to TV sets or screens trying to "swipe" only? That's right.. they know better because they adjust without bias by mimicking. If your kid does it, it means it mimics YOU, so if you cannot get gestures and have a "learning curve too steep... wait couple of years and your kid will teach you how).

PS: Gnomesane covers me 1000% towards answering the OB eeerrr.. OP I meant.
    One last thing OP, we get it you are a student dev that somehow spends in a year more than any other fully employed person on phones spends in 3 or 4, you are a dev yet do not talk about the OS but rather of the UI (you must not be very good at "Dev" school...(?) -educated guess/supposition) and then again you spend "hefty" money on ebay for a z10 that now has you disappointed and "depressed"... Gnomesane even dedicated time to answer you... don't ever say that these forums have been un-welcoming to ya
    UKCatFan3 and DJRikko like this.
    02-09-13 07:40 PM
    Seems you picked up the dummy demo model
    Funny story, I was in a Source store yesterday and checked out the Z10 they have on display, it was cool, but the sales clerk tells me that the demo model is locked in that the demo mode,even a security wipe won't break it out, not sure how valid that is? Then he starts telling me how there have been a couple of punks trying to steal it,going as far as trying to cut the clamp holding the phone. They suspected that these fine fellows were then planning to sell the Z10 on Ebay or Kijiji or whatever. Moral of the story, careful what you buy on Ebay, it may not be what you were expecting.
    02-09-13 07:43 PM
    He's right people, it's time to get our heads out of the sand and face facts - this is a truly terrible device, and you should all hang your heads in shame for even wanting one! Cough cough...
    Cast your minds back 20 years or so (some readers may not have the luxury of going back THAT far...) and you'll remember a time before Internet was available to all and sundry - let alone mobile Internet - and cell phones were the size of a small house brick. Cameras needed film and building a social network actually required you to leave your house and see people in person. I don't propose a move back to these "dark ages", but these days the very fact that we can get about with a mobile device in our pockets that provides such a rich experience and convenience really is nothing to be sniffed at.
    I'm sure there is no one perfect device that does everything, but pick one - just one (preferably a BB!) - and you'll be pretty close the mark. There are trade offs with most things in life, the fact that your camera your in phone doesn't act the way a purpose built camera does, or your tweeting experience is somewhat lacking (does the world need to hear what you think anyway?), are just some of the minor inconveniences that won't ruin your quality of life in the long run.
    I've never considered myself a genius (or close to it), but I've now decided I must be after having mastered the gesture driven UI for PlayBook in about a day. If anyone out there is looking to employ a visionary in the field of excellence, I'm available.
    02-09-13 07:50 PM
    z33dev33l I don't believe that you have a Z10 at all. Your comments and responses make no sense. Prove me wrong and I'll eat my words and apologize.

Posts a screen shot of this thread just like I'm doing. It takes less that 30 seconds so there is no reason not to if you actually own a Z10...
    ^^^This a million times over! You totally beat me to it. I would go a step further, I want a pic of the device. Probably one of those Dev Alpha A's that people bought for $2000. Either way, if it was bought off of Ebay you definately overpaid. How could one be satisfied buying a device for 3 or 4 times what it is worth.
    02-09-13 07:56 PM
    I have a Lumia 920 as my main phone right now and I love it to pieces. It integrates everything and while the apps are lacking and Microsoft is, in my opinion, dropping the ball, I still love it for what it does. While most people here probably see me as a troll because I seemingly criticize everything, I have BlackBerry's best interest at heart. I want it to succeed. I want options other than iOS and Android.
    I'm actually in the exact same boat as you. I'm a die hard fan of blackberry and have been for 5 years. While i was waiting for the new BB10 to launch, i picked up a Lumia 920 and while it's not perfect, i've actually grown to love the device. The People Hub, Music Hub (since i'm a zune pass holder), photo hub are incredible and very well integrated - much more so than all the competition. When i look at the Z10 (though i have yet to pick one up) i feel a little disinterested because it actually looks very bland and similar to ios in terms of the grid of icons. I do though, desperately miss BBM, a proper email hub and proper notifications that Blackberry has . I wish they could mash Wp8 and Blackberry and make a super device. I may pick one up and switch between the 2 devices and see what's most important to me in the process.
    02-09-13 08:50 PM
    okay thanks, now bye.
    RECOOL likes this.
    02-09-13 09:05 PM
    My experiences with my z10 are amazing. Love my new phone. Can't put it down.
    02-09-13 09:34 PM
    I'm actually in the exact same boat as you. I'm a die hard fan of blackberry and have been for 5 years. While i was waiting for the new BB10 to launch, i picked up a Lumia 920 and while it's not perfect, i've actually grown to love the device. The People Hub, Music Hub (since i'm a zune pass holder), photo hub are incredible and very well integrated - much more so than all the competition. When i look at the Z10 (though i have yet to pick one up) i feel a little disinterested because it actually looks very bland and similar to ios in terms of the grid of icons. I do though, desperately miss BBM, a proper email hub and proper notifications that Blackberry has . I wish they could mash Wp8 and Blackberry and make a super device. I may pick one up and switch between the 2 devices and see what's most important to me in the process.
    You'll like the Z...works great. These devices are like bikes, not one bike is everything to everyone.
    02-09-13 09:36 PM
    Funny story, I was in a Source store yesterday and checked out the Z10 they have on display, it was cool, but the sales clerk tells me that the demo model is locked in that the demo mode,even a security wipe won't break it out, not sure how valid that is? Then he starts telling me how there have been a couple of punks trying to steal it,going as far as trying to cut the clamp holding the phone. They suspected that these fine fellows were then planning to sell the Z10 on Ebay or Kijiji or whatever. Moral of the story, careful what you buy on Ebay, it may not be what you were expecting.
    This is incorrect. A demo mode can be removed for sure. I believe that a Security Wipe or a software reload would work but I haven't tried it personally.
    02-09-13 10:26 PM
    This is incorrect. A demo mode can be removed for sure. I believe that a Security Wipe or a software reload would work but I haven't tried it personally.
    Try it out.

Settings>Display>Advanced>Retail Display Mode: On

02-09-13 10:37 PM
    sell it on ebay for more than you paid. if you even have one.
    shellnsean likes this.
    02-09-13 10:37 PM
    I respectfully disagree with the OP. The gesture learning curve is short..and is well designed and implemented. Yes, there are may bugs, some pretty bad too...but the overall design of the OS is more advanced and intuitive than anything out there today. You have to be completely asleep to not get the gestures right away; It's that easy. There are what...like 5-6 gestures to control the entire phone? How complicated is that? The OS is fluid, lightning fast and stupidly simple to use. It doesn't need a button like IOS to return to the home screen...and the browser - although it needs a few enhancements, is faster than anything out there today, except when using Flash. (bug) The intuitive keyboard is way beyond anything I've ever used prior. I dont what the OP is complaining about.
    tjseaman likes this.
    02-09-13 10:38 PM
    Try it out.

Settings>Display>Advanced>Retail Display Mode: On

No, no, I haven't tried restoring from Demo mode by wiping a device yet. I have already tried the Retail Display Mode and turned it off the regular way.
    02-09-13 10:42 PM
    No offence, but I stooped reading 1/3 into your post. Having no paragraphs, made that hard to read
    LOL.
    This is probably easier

.......safer.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    02-09-13 11:04 PM
    I am fairly eclectic about the restaurants I go to, never thought I should be eclectic about the phones I use. I just use what works for me. I have been a loyal BB user forever, when my BB 9700 died a month back I went to the dark side, Iphone 5. I think the Z10 is far superior and the fact that I can't get the latest "fart" app from Apple doesn't bother me. Everything about the functionality of this phone is superior, maybe not camera, I will give you that. I think William Shatner said it best "I'd just like to say Get A Life will you people, I mean for crying out loud it's just a (phone)..." William Shatner SNL skit Get A Life 1986-12-20 - Video Dailymotion
    LMAO! That clip is hilarious! Not too far off from some of the things I've seen posted here in the forums.
    02-09-13 11:10 PM
    Seriously? Gestures difficult for you...? OMG... ok Gestures 101 for gesture-challenged mobile phone users: (if you have established being mobile-gesture-challenged, go directly to rule 5 below)

Rule 1. Place finger just on edge of screen (any edge)
    Rule 2. swipe inwards (notice what happens)
    Rule 3. Repeat same gesture 7 times (basic phycology says average repetitions a human needs to learn something in kinetics is 7 times)
    Rule 4. If you still cannot understand it you are phone-gesture-challenged. Now with this established go to number 5
    Rule number 5: PRETEND THAT SWEEPING UPWARDS FROM BOTTOM IS YOUR HOME BUTTON ON AN IPHONE. That should short it out. If you STILL have problems do not use a Z10, since advanced technology would be greatly underemployed in your hands.

PS: Notice how most 4 y.o kids nowadays go to TV sets or screens trying to "swipe" only? That's right.. they know better because they adjust without bias by mimicking. If your kid does it, it means it mimics YOU, so if you cannot get gestures and have a "learning curve too steep... wait couple of years and your kid will teach you how).

PS: Gnomesane covers me 1000% towards answering the OB eeerrr.. OP I meant.
    One last thing OP, we get it you are a student dev that somehow spends in a year more than any other fully employed person on phones spends in 3 or 4, you are a dev yet do not talk about the OS but rather of the UI (you must not be very good at "Dev" school...(?) -educated guess/supposition) and then again you spend "hefty" money on ebay for a z10 that now has you disappointed and "depressed"... Gnomesane even dedicated time to answer you... don't ever say that these forums have been un-welcoming to ya
    LOL... Agreed 100%
    currentodysseys likes this.
    02-09-13 11:18 PM
    Gestures are difficult. It is for example not as easy as pressing the back button in androids and getting random results
    ^ this
    b320 likes this.
    02-09-13 11:39 PM
    I respectfully disagree with the OP. The gesture learning curve is short..and is well designed and implemented. Yes, there are may bugs, some pretty bad too...but the overall design of the OS is more advanced and intuitive than anything out there today. You have to be completely asleep to not get the gestures right away; It's that easy. There are what...like 5-6 gestures to control the entire phone? How complicated is that? The OS is fluid, lightning fast and stupidly simple to use. It doesn't need a button like IOS to return to the home screen...and the browser - although it needs a few enhancements, is faster than anything out there today, except when using Flash. (bug) The intuitive keyboard is way beyond anything I've ever used prior. I dont what the OP is complaining about.

I played with a friends Z10 for a couple of hours...the screen looks nice...the phone itself feels a bit on the cheap side but perhaps that's because I'm using a 920 these days and have used a 4s before...however I do like the back cover of the z10 and it's nice and light...kind of feels like a typical samsung cheap plastic phone although the z10 is much easier to hold on to than a galaxy...

I think if you have to learn a gesture to get some basic functionality you are simply doing it wrong as a manufacturer...it just seems like they are doing some things to try and be different rather than actually doing them to make a user's life easier...I like the "idea" having all the messages on the left hand side and being consolidated but I'm not sure it works as well as it sounds on paper...the z10 I played with had hardly anything setup contact wise so it wasnt bad but the videos I have seen don't paint a pretty light for me. However, I do think BB will get there with future updates of the software...like many have said, this is just version 1.0...give it time...

The app situation is pretty bad...I'm using windows phone these days and everyone makes this to be a wasteland of apps but there are about 130,000 apps actually written for windows phone...the good news is that for Canadians most banks and services like tv are supporting BB with apps but I fear the same will not happen in the US...unless they can make the android implementation much much better, I'd rather see them just get rid of it as it's pretty embarrassing from what I played with...the apps written natively for it are good, just not a lot of choice...

Tried the camera...it's good enough...don't know why people are complaining about it too much as I've seen worse. It's not nearly as good as an iphone 5 or my 920's at least from the pics I took with it but it's probably much better than what the average BB user is used to...definitely good enough for a smartphone

If they sold this for $350 unlocked I'd definitely pick one up to play around with...I can't see this being able to compete with someone who has a Jelly Bean android phone or someone who needs apps (iphone rules for this) but the OS is more interesting than the iphone's... I prefer the windows phone OS by a large margin but this is just a personal preference...the integration with microsoft products (office, skydrive, music, games,etc...) is just too good for me to give up...but I definitely can see a BB user picking this up and being pleased or someone who has used an iphone in the past but doesn't care about apps and is looking for a change...
    02-09-13 11:57 PM
    Not only does he probably not own a Z10 he also knows nothing about Fisher Price toys. Anyone who had a Fisher Price toy knows they were/are indestructible.
    Snazy, SDTRMG, Bobcat665 and 1 others like this.
    02-09-13 11:57 PM
    The screen, despite it's high pixel density, is absolutely dreadful in the sun, requiring frequent cupping with my other hand.
    I disagree with this. I was amazed at the clarity of the screen on my Z10 a few days ago when I was using it while walking outside on a sunny winter day. Admittingly, the sun was not as bright as it will be during the summer but it was still sunny and I didn't not need to cup my hands to see the screen clearly. Of course you have some reflection from the glass surface but that is only natural and occurs with any device.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    02-10-13 12:38 AM
    Like someone else said. These forums are starting to become full people that appear to be doing nothing but infiltrating in order to cause others to second guess getting the device. What other purpose do threads like this have? It is not constructive criticism. For anyone on the fence the phone is GREAT.
    02-10-13 02:15 AM
    I have a windows phone (Nokia 822) and the media player is horrible. I have had BlackBerrys in the past (most recent 9930) and the media players are the best. I don't know about the Z10 but you sound like a hater.
    02-10-13 06:35 AM
    I agree with you. If Windows phone could/would incorporate some of these notification features into its OS it would be incredible.
    02-10-13 06:39 AM
    I played with a friends Z10 for a couple of hours...the screen looks nice...the phone itself feels a bit on the cheap side but perhaps that's because I'm using a 920 these days and have used a 4s before...however I do like the back cover of the z10 and it's nice and light...kind of feels like a typical samsung cheap plastic phone although the z10 is much easier to hold on to than a galaxy...

I think if you have to learn a gesture to get some basic functionality you are simply doing it wrong as a manufacturer...it just seems like they are doing some things to try and be different rather than actually doing them to make a user's life easier...I like the "idea" having all the messages on the left hand side and being consolidated but I'm not sure it works as well as it sounds on paper...the z10 I played with had hardly anything setup contact wise so it wasnt bad but the videos I have seen don't paint a pretty light for me. However, I do think BB will get there with future updates of the software...like many have said, this is just version 1.0...give it time...

The app situation is pretty bad...I'm using windows phone these days and everyone makes this to be a wasteland of apps but there are about 130,000 apps actually written for windows phone...the good news is that for Canadians most banks and services like tv are supporting BB with apps but I fear the same will not happen in the US...unless they can make the android implementation much much better, I'd rather see them just get rid of it as it's pretty embarrassing from what I played with...the apps written natively for it are good, just not a lot of choice...

Tried the camera...it's good enough...don't know why people are complaining about it too much as I've seen worse. It's not nearly as good as an iphone 5 or my 920's at least from the pics I took with it but it's probably much better than what the average BB user is used to...definitely good enough for a smartphone

If they sold this for $350 unlocked I'd definitely pick one up to play around with...I can't see this being able to compete with someone who has a Jelly Bean android phone or someone who needs apps (iphone rules for this) but the OS is more interesting than the iphone's... I prefer the windows phone OS by a large margin but this is just a personal preference...the integration with microsoft products (office, skydrive, music, games,etc...) is just too good for me to give up...but I definitely can see a BB user picking this up and being pleased or someone who has used an iphone in the past but doesn't care about apps and is looking for a change...
    Perhaps you should actually own one before you pan it, instead of telling us about "the z10 I played with..." Then, it might make more sense...
    SDTRMG likes this.
    02-10-13 06:44 AM
140 ... 23456