Has anyone else checked out the Best sellers list at Best Buy today.
    I couldn't believe my eyes, had to take a double take and reload the page.

The Z10 is now in 7th position AT&T model, # 31 and 37 Verizon model, and the real kicker the Bold was in the top 40.
    WTF?

LOWER THE PRICE AND THEY WILL COME Good news if you ask me.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=Y6VJrUb7
    Last edited by 40blind40; 07-24-13 at 03:02 PM. Reason: posted link
    07-24-13 02:43 PM
    Is this something you see in-store or on Best Buy website?
    If the latter, have a link?
    07-24-13 02:56 PM
    The Z is #2 for ATT on the bestbuy.com site. #12 for verizon.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 03:04 PM
    Is this something you see in-store or on Best Buy website?
    If the latter, have a link?
    I just added the link and its now up to number 5 AT&T model
    07-24-13 03:04 PM
    It is now the TOP selling AT&T model (!!)
    Jamez Avila likes this.
    07-24-13 03:27 PM
    Best Buy is also the only place I've seen Z10 on display and not tucked away in back. And it's a nice one.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5818411) and robkd like this.
    07-24-13 03:37 PM
    More BB10 users = more influence on Devs. Sale price FTW!
    j21jam6 likes this.
    07-24-13 03:37 PM
    Yaayyyy

Z10in' since the Beginnin'
    07-24-13 03:38 PM
    Yaayyyy

Z10in' since the Beginnin'
    Beat me to it

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 03:39 PM
    How did all those cheap HP Touchpads that were sold do for HP???? Giving away phones might be good for the customers but it is definitely not good for the companies bottom line. Looks like an inventory dump for retailers to me.
    07-24-13 03:43 PM
    How did all those cheap HP Touchpads that were sold do for HP???? Giving away phones might be good for the customers but it is definitely not good for the companies bottom line. Looks like an inventory dump for retailers to me.
    BlackBerry also earns something from apps . (the paid for ones) As long as they don't sell at a loss there is no problem in the short run.

Posted via CB10
    suprmanx7 likes this.
    07-24-13 03:48 PM
    Getting devices into the hands of consumers ensures visibility and market traction. Even if you decide to use some of your marketing budget to subsidize the cost of the product, it's may be money well spent. I'm not saying that this is what's happening here, but if it is, it's not a bad marketing ploy. By looking at the numbers, something seems to work.
    lorax1284 and a1s2d3f4g5 like this.
    07-24-13 03:54 PM
    It's also their third highest rated phone!
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=auLmjJHL
    Last edited by nquyen; 07-24-13 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Added link
    j21jam6 likes this.
    07-24-13 04:07 PM
    This is awesome news!

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 04:08 PM
    Sell sell sell!!! Haha
    07-24-13 04:18 PM
    07-24-13 04:18 PM
    That's funny, a friend of mine was playing with my z10 and loved it, so yesterday he went to best buy to get one. The sales person hammered him about BlackBerry and then proceeded to talk him into a droid hd.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 04:29 PM
    Totally different situation. HP permanently cancelled their entire line of webOS devices and cleared them out with the fire sale prices. More BB10 devices in the hands of customers is a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 04:42 PM
    If BlackBerry takes it on the chin with selling the z10s at this price, it's a good thing. They're obviously not interested in paying for advertising, so the money they lost on the phone will end up paying off as people are going to start spreading the word about the device.

I like it.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 05:01 PM
    More BB10 users = more influence on Devs. Sale price FTW!
    If price reduction leads to more BlackBerry 10 users and more BlackBerry 10 application developers maybe BlackBerry should giver the smartphones away and make their money on BlackBerry World purchases.
    07-24-13 05:10 PM
    I agree. The most important thing right now is getting devices into consumers hands. Everyone needs to stop comparing BlackBerry to HP/Palm they killed off Palm and then did the fire-sale. BlackBerry has already sold their phones to carriers/best buy and its the carriers/best buy that are lowering the prices. Either way its awesome news, the more people to try the new blackberries the better the chance of getting more of the apps everyone is crying about.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 05:13 PM
    Totally different situation. HP permanently cancelled their entire line of webOS devices and cleared them out with the fire sale prices. More BB10 devices in the hands of customers is a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    ^^ THIS!

Sale pricing and selling refurbs happens by manufacturers and carriers all the time... publicly killing your product line, then reducing the price isn't a strategic business move. Plus you don't have carrier subsidies involved in the webOS thing. The reason Best Buy, Costco, and Amazon can sell below carrier pricing is because they don't have the overhead/profit margins a dedicated carrier store has.

And OP, thanks for sharing!
    yellowhammer and j21jam6 like this.
    07-24-13 05:19 PM
    Best Buy is also the only place I've seen Z10 on display and not tucked away in back. And it's a nice one.

Posted via CB10

Yep.....Best Buy has the BlackBerries proudly on display. One week in and I'm still loving mine! The battery life on mine has been phenomenal....I've only had to charge it 3 times in one week. Love this phone!
    bradu1 and j21jam6 like this.
    07-24-13 05:23 PM
    People need to understand this is nothing new. It's not a fire sale. This is just how phones are sold in the US. I find it hard to believe that with all the people on here they haven't been in a situation where you've bought a phone, and then a few weeks layer it's free at best buy or Costco or Staples. It's happened to me every phone I've bought. It is due to how these retailers make their money. I believe once they recoup their original cost, they drop the price of the phones and go for volume sales. You need to remember that they make money several ways off of cell phones.

First, the obvious cost of the phones. The all the more lucrative accessory sales. And of course their commissions on activations which is huge for them. So think about it, they can sell 5 phones today and get 5 activations. Or they van drop the price, sell 15 phones and get 15 activations. Think how many sells they are getting by dropping the Z10 to free. I guarantee you the money they are making off activations is higher than money they were making off sells and activations at full price.

They will do this with all their phones except for the few that have the highest demand. If they can get a steady turn rate with the highest possible gross margin there's no reason to cut the cost.

Once they've recovered their initial investment, or at least can see the shift in the point that they will be cutting a higher profit by losing on the cost of the phone, but having more activations, they would be stupid to keep the phone full cost.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 05:39 PM
    Here's how I suspect this has worked: relatively high price on release. That sounds like a ripoff, but seriously, almost all phones come down in price within a few months of initial release. I think early adopters tend to know this. It might hold down sales, but given the nature of BB10 on release, that might be just as well. The GOOD news is that BB at least gets to report healthy margins, even if the sales suffer as a result.

Now, the 10.1 update is widely available, with the result that customers who buy now won't be exposed to issues with the release software like 30-day e-mail and battery-burn (it would SEEM that the spontaneous reboot issue has been resolved for the most part, too). There's also a somewhat healthier app catalog than was in place for release. Now's a good time to drop the price and cast a wider marketing net.

Fingers crossed that carrier testing is already underway with 10.2, and that it can come out in a timely manner. Margins will, indeed, come down, but as long as the phones are actually gaining some sales traction investors likely won't care (as a shareholder I know that's what I want to see).

This is encouraging; almost anecdotal in the sense that we don't know whether this is a quick spike or if it's sustainable, but at this point I'll take what I can get.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    07-24-13 05:40 PM
143 123 ...