The app situation is dire... and I do not think poor android ports, whether they are offered in BBW or sideloaded, are the answer. They are a stop gap for sure.. but a poor shortsighted one at best.

I know BB is planning on updating the runtime engine to 4.2... but for goodness sake... it is still on 2.3?! That automatically leave out well functioning apps from android.
    Respectfully, do you think that if Blackberry updated their Android runtime from Gingerbread 2.3 to Jellybean 4.x tomorrow it would make a difference in terms of how quickly we'd see Google Maps, or the other major app providers, appear on Blackberry 10? I also disagree that the app situation is 'dire', far from it. I think the OS, the integrated Hub, buttonless swiping and the keyboard will win over a lot of users. Cheers.
    03-28-13 04:33 PM
    Respectfully, do you think that if Blackberry updated their Android runtime from Gingerbread 2.3 to Jellybean 4.x tomorrow it would make a difference in terms of how quickly we'd see Google Maps, or the other major app providers, appear on Blackberry 10? I also disagree that the app situation is 'dire', far from it. I think the OS, the integrated Hub, buttonless swiping and the keyboard will win over a lot of users. Cheers.
    I would be a start... for one the latest google maps will only run well, with all features on 4.1+ devices. So of course Google themselves will never offer the app because minimum guidelines are not met... once they are we can try to hold their feet to the fire and have them offer it.

I love those features you listed, problem is I am not your average customer. **** almost know one is that frequents this forums. Apps can be the draw and offer the staying power needed for BBRY to increase their marketshare. I know my parents or wife will never switch without a few key apps, and I would never tell them to which anyway... we are BETA testers..
    03-28-13 04:39 PM
    And... You can sideload NetFlix, although honestly, that appeal baffles me given the offerings... Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have this friend, his name is Torrance, bit of an eccentric, he's a self-described Pirate, lives on a Bay... When I have movies that I've purchased, if I can't figure out how to convert them digitally in a format that I can transfer I always go to Torrance and he helps me out. If I've already purchased the movie or show, I have no problem asking him for help... =)
    Hahahahaha this made me laugh hard not sure if I was the only one who got what you were saying! Lol
    03-28-13 04:47 PM
    Attachment 144752

I'm just going to copy and paste this from now on... 750k in apps for Google play store/apple didn't happen overnight for a new OS but there are still plenty to choose from

BlackBerry 10 Now Offers More Than 100,000 Applications to Customers | CrackBerry.com

Blackberry Playbook and BB10 Android Apps | Android APPS - BB10 Apps & Playbook Apps

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    The Blackberry Twitter and LinkedIn app is nothing to brag about. The quality of these apps is poor when compared to those of other platforms.
    03-28-13 04:47 PM
    I put an edit to my initial post clarifying further what I'm talking about.
    03-28-13 04:58 PM
    Only one thing...
    Just remember that we are talking about a platform with only 2 months of life...
    We already have great devs on board :
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tegory-775441/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l-list-772065/

These devs deserves our support!
    03-28-13 04:59 PM
    Only one thing...
    Just remember that we are talking about a platform with only 2 months of life...
    We already have great devs on board :
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tegory-775441/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l-list-772065/

These devs deserves our support!
    I second that, +1000.
    BlackQtCoder likes this.
    03-28-13 05:17 PM
    I would be a start... for one the latest google maps will only run well, with all features on 4.1+ devices. So of course Google themselves will never offer the app because minimum guidelines are not met... once they are we can try to hold their feet to the fire and have them offer it.

I love those features you listed, problem is I am not your average customer. **** almost know one is that frequents this forums. Apps can be the draw and offer the staying power needed for BBRY to increase their marketshare. I know my parents or wife will never switch without a few key apps, and I would never tell them to which anyway... we are BETA testers..
    We're all beta testers my friend. I have Windows 8, and I get 'updates' at least once a week on my desktop computer.

As for Gingerbread, I have at least one friend using a Samsung phone running Gingerbread. The Samsung POS he jokingly calls it, his words, not mine. He can't even get Samsung Kies to work with it on his desktop computer. But he has Google Maps, and it works just fine. So I don't think it would be particularly difficult (or time consuming) for Google to throw a Gingerbread Google Maps app on Blackberry World. Honestly, I think it's more likely that Google is a competitor in the field and they're not about to port their app to Blackberry unless they have to. Just like they haven't ported it to Windows phone (which doesn't have an Android Runtime). As far as I'm concerned, it's just app politics. I'm pretty sure Google would have preferred not to offer Google Maps on iOS 6 either, but the value of showing up Apple was too tempting. That, and I'm pretty sure given Apple's huge market share, Google would have come off looking bad if they didn't offer it for that platform.

Anyway, just my thots! Cheers.
    03-28-13 05:24 PM
    Your mistake was using examples. People here just see app names and their brains melt.
    But well written post op. Totally on the mark and I agree.
    I don't use many apps, and i have no must have app. But apps are important to people and make a difference. Be it a banking app or entertainment app. If you are used to the services of an app you will naturally want it on your platform of choice.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-28-13 06:56 PM
    I also want to add......

03-28-13 07:56 PM
    Are you asking me to search the forum and give you usernames for every single reference to "fart apps" "apps are just time wasters" "apps are for toys" etc? I can't recall everyone by name, but I remember a few such posts in the returning Z10 after 5 days thread.
    Again, just curious, why do you feel the need to convince these people?

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 07:56 PM
    Know exactly what you are saying regarding app's, but in all honesty is there actually anything you could not do with the phone as is from the factory. Is there anything or information you could not obtain via the browser. Could you not go to the weather channel, rather than wait to be hit by a tornado because you dont have an app. It's a communication device, primerally designed for contacting people. Before Facebook, Twitter, BBM, SMS, Instagam, or thousands of other contact type app's if you wanted to let someone know were, what, and who with, you just gave them a call. Actually the only true social method of contact, all the rest are actually anti-social. I agree app's are conveniant and do fill up a screen with pretty icons for street cred status, but needed? no sorry.
    03-28-13 08:22 PM
37 12