Hi Publisher1963. have you ever used BlackBerry protect? If so, go to protect.blackberry.com and you can unlock/reset the password from there.

Good luck!
    Did you guys miss this from the first page? You can change your device password from protect.

Posted via CB10
    MrGlenn likes this.
    03-06-14 06:40 AM
    Found this posted in BlackBerry channel Help with device password - 9/10!!!-1394115446604_071702.jpeg

Posted via telegraph
    03-06-14 08:25 AM
    Did you guys miss this from the first page? You can change your device password from protect.

Posted via CB10
    What the post fails to mention is you need to know the existing password before you can change it.
    03-06-14 09:18 AM
    I just went to change my picture password, and it required me to enter my 'device password'. Trouble is, I've entered 9 of my 10 attempts unsuccessfully! The chance of getting it in the next 'go' is nil... so what do I do?

Will the phone revert back to 0/10 after a period so I can have a few more goes? Just to be clear, it's not the PP that I'm struggling with, but the device password...

Heeeeeelp!!!

Posted via CB10 on my Z10.2.1
    Be very diligent in reading the password prompts, it does ask you to enter the word blackberry during the process.
    My wife was having troubles and I talked her through it, she then realized that she was not reading the prompts and was entering her password when it was in fact asking her to type blackberry.
    03-06-14 10:15 AM
    just use bb password keeper. open up the password keeper and it should be in there if you set it up.
    03-06-14 11:25 AM
    How secure would it be if it could be hacked by sets of 10 attempts, a pause, more attempts, pause - brute force of an intentionally secure device, lost or stolen, would be possible.
    Do you mean, then it would be as secure as a non-BlackBerry device?!
    FF22 likes this.
    03-06-14 12:05 PM
    I consider this to be a horrid feature, and insecure at that. It's an alleged security feature, however it could allow someone who wants to mess you up to simply enter a password wrong and have the device wiped. That's horrific security, that's actually giving them absolute power over your device. Sure they don't have access to the date past the screen, but imagine you're going in for a job interview, and you need things that are on your phone, you go to the bathroom, leave your phone laying there, someone else that's there tries a password 10 times and you're just done now, it's over for you.
    03-06-14 01:43 PM
    I consider this to be a horrid feature, and insecure at that. It's an alleged security feature, however it could allow someone who wants to mess you up to simply enter a password wrong and have the device wiped. That's horrific security, that's actually giving them absolute power over your device. Sure they don't have access to the date past the screen, but imagine you're going in for a job interview, and you need things that are on your phone, you go to the bathroom, leave your phone laying there, someone else that's there tries a password 10 times and you're just done now, it's over for you.
    That can happen but only if you leave your phone exposed or available to anyone. There have been the usual tales of drunk friends wiping a phone by trying to break in too many times. If your data is valuable, the phone it is on is also valuable. Do not leave it unprotected - take it with you.

I will admit that prior to the z10, I did not password protect my prior bb's and it was for that very reason - I did not want it accidentally wiped or even purposefully wiped.

And a good and current backup is the best protection although it might have to wait till the computer is available where the backup was preserved.

I do miss having a backup on BB Protect but they seem to have abandoned that aspect of Protect.
    shupor and PatrickMJS like this.
    03-06-14 02:08 PM
    I agree with F2... keep your phone with you at all times.

If you have friends who would screw around with your phone like that, get new friends.

Plus nothing beats a reliable & regular backup system. It's the data that's important, not the phone itself.

And if you're on your way to a job interview, what the heck are you doing leaving your phone unattended???

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 03:54 PM
    What the post fails to mention is you need to know the existing password before you can change it.
    And this is where Blackberry (IMO) should allow you some flexibility with the device password. Security questions to override the lockout or change the password when you have forgotten the password.
    03-06-14 04:29 PM
    And this is where Blackberry (IMO) should allow you some flexibility with the device password. Security questions to override the lockout or change the password when you have forgotten the password.
    I beg to differ. Anything of this sort opens the door to abuse.

If people want a BlackBerry, they want it for its ironclad security. Look at the mess the Android phones & iPhones have with their lax security.

As I said above, it's not the phone we are protecting, it is the private info on it. That info should always be backed up so if the phone becomes compromised, (lost, stolen, damaged, and yes a forgotten password), the device is toast and you pick up a new unit, restore from backup and KEEP MOVING!!!

Posted via CB10
    shupor and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    03-06-14 05:09 PM
    You would be surprised how easily security question overrides can be compromised by doing a web search or simply by knowing enough about the owner of the device/account.

IMO the way BlackBerry has it is great for maintaining the integrity of the content on the device. Only addition i would suggest is having a backup option with Protect on BB10 like it did on Legacy OS
    Last edited by shupor; 03-09-14 at 12:01 PM. Reason: grammatical error
    FF22, PatrickMJS and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    03-07-14 01:19 PM
    The thing of it is if you use your phone several times per day how do you forget your password. You can use a password for awhile and then it will not work? Hmmmm operator error?
    The OP said he was trying to change his picture password. Perhaps he never used a simple PIN password before but of course was forced to create one in order to use picture password. And then only having had to enter it a couple of times ever, and not having had written it down, etc. He forgot it. Again if he's only using picture password he'd not ever be entering his device password except if he opts to change his picture password. As was the case here.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    03-12-14 01:18 AM
    If u still know the BlackBerry ID password then u can log in from the BlackBerry Protect site and unlock the phone from there.. (I guess)

Hit via the sexiest phone there is. Did sumone say the Z10?
    03-12-14 01:24 AM
    If u still know the BlackBerry ID password then u can log in from the BlackBerry Protect site and unlock the phone from there.. (I guess)

Hit via the sexiest phone there is. Did sumone say the Z10?
    I sure hope not.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    03-12-14 01:28 AM
    Please. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I just want to say that my statement is not for the OP.

Sometimes when I see posts like this, it makes me think the person has found or stolen a device and cannot gain access to use it for themselves.
    So, they come to CB where there are hopes to pick the minds of the greatest BB users in the world to circumvent security in the device.

OP, your situation just reminds me of a couple of threads I've seen before that's all.
    Nothing eluding to you whatsoever, ok?
    I'm sorry I do not have a real solution for you and I hope things work out.
    03-12-14 01:33 AM
    Mad Brad is not alluding to the OP, no not in the slightest. But he is hoping the OP isn't eluding justice.

Freudian typo?

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 09:03 AM
    Mad Brad is not alluding to the OP, no not in the slightest. But he is hoping the OP isn't eluding justice.

Freudian typo?
    Nope. Just simple spell check/word substitution.
    Nothing "Freudian" about of it.....

Thanks for the heads up though....
    But, I won't even change it, so it won't take away from your witty comment.
    03-13-14 11:48 AM
68 123