For Docs2Go, yes, that's fine. But what about other apps, say music or an hour long movie feed closed in between
    For movies if you close it or it forces closes, select the video file and it continues playback from where it stopped off. For Music, I think this only works with 10.2.1 but I'm not sure, I'll test it out later with 10.2.0 but it does the same thing, music will resume from where you left off in the playlist you left on at, even if you selected shuffle all, it'll continue on from that same list.
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    12-06-13 09:57 AM
    I get that it CAN happen. But how often DOES it happen.
    One could make a very strong argument that the extra seconds launching weather,news, stocks and Evernote would be many less wasted minutes throughout an entire day than the loss of performance from having 16 app running.

And really, how many weather checks do you need a day? You wake up, check the weather, plan accordingly and close it for another day.
    you're missing the point and presenting a very narrow mindset.....who cares how often it does happen.....how often do your brakes in your car fail but you still go to a regular service schedule...if having more apps simultaneously open is something that is of concern we should be discussing the issue and possible solutions or work paths rather than refuting or playing down the importance of such task to the person asking the question....just my 2 cents.
    12-06-13 10:09 AM
    you're missing the point and presenting a very narrow mindset.....who cares how often it does happen.....how often do your brakes in your car fail but you still go to a regular service schedule...if having more apps simultaneously open is something that is of concern we should be discussing the issue and possible solutions or work paths rather than refuting or playing down the importance of such task to the person asking the question....just my 2 cents.
    If you think that anyone needs more than eight apps running at once, you are delusional.

There are people who WANT apps open. No one NEEDS it.

Besides, it's an intentional limitation to preserve device performance.
    There is no solution, there is no work around.
    There never will be.
    Get over it.
    No discussion required.
    12-06-13 11:02 AM
    I just tried, FYI if the music app is running it's "prioritised" so when you reach your 8 apps, the 7th is killed.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 12:21 PM
    I just tried, FYI if the music app is running it's "prioritised" so when you reach your 8 apps, the 7th is killed.
    Clever! Really like it.
    12-06-13 01:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, the occasional experiment can help figure things out - thanks.
    12-06-13 03:35 PM
    It is somewhat conceivable that this could happen with a music app since you might not go back to that very often, but with a movie I imagine you'd be watching it and thus would never get in a situation where you opened up 8 different apps before going back to the video.

I only say somewhat conceivable because like others have noted, it's very rare to be in a situation where you want 8 apps open at once. I've gone through to 6 if I get really busy or caught up in something, but once you start having to scroll down to the 2nd pane of active frames, you tend to start closing the ones you're done with!

Yes, of course, if the app is open it's going to use resources. If you dont want it to use resources, you can close it...
    Need for keeping app open is not there, but want to keep app open so that they are one touch away.

And even with 8 apps open and 4 of them in 2nd pane, one will most likely go to menu page rather than 2nd pane by swiping down. Given the screen real estate, Z10 and Z30 can have 8 apps in 1st pane itself and still show some meaningful info on min state.
    12-06-13 09:49 PM
    Really pal, you're overthinking this. It's a very VERY fast learning curve. You'll just get used to not keeping stuff you don't need in frames.

Stuff you need, you'll be using constantly and they won't close due to that.

It may feel strange since you haven't used it yet, but it is actually very efficient.
    Got it. App which is in bottom of the pecking order gets closed.
    12-06-13 09:56 PM
    This is going in to two ways.

Is it necessary to keep open apps?
    True multitasking (from human perspective) is working for a specific job using multiple apps, usually 3 or 4 max. Since they are flip flopped, they will stay on top of pecking order and will never get closed. That's fantastic.

Laziness keeps apps open. Definitely. Personality comes here on whether this is NEED or WANT. But device performance also comes in to picture. My kids keeps tons of apps open in Ipad and the performance doesn't seems sluggish. Expecting a functionality from a toy in a tool is lame but that is a fact. However, for me, in John Chen's style, "That's OK"

How many hidden features are there in BB10?
    As discovered above, even if app get closed on 8th spot, there are ways to get them right on spot.

Like Docs2Go, recover the last file.
    Songs and Video may start where it closed
    In games, the last move is saved

And amazingly, as noted by "sgt_snacks-64", apps stay on active frame even at the bottom. (That's a pinned frame, Kevin, are you listening?)
    12-06-13 10:25 PM
    If you think that anyone needs more than eight apps running at once, you are delusional.

There are people who WANT apps open. No one NEEDS it.

Besides, it's an intentional limitation to preserve device performance.
    There is no solution, there is no work around.
    There never will be.
    Get over it.
    No discussion required.
    Easy with the attitude or I'm getting the big guns here...

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 07:36 AM
    This is going in to two ways.

Is it necessary to keep open apps?
    True multitasking (from human perspective) is working for a specific job using multiple apps, usually 3 or 4 max. Since they are flip flopped, they will stay on top of pecking order and will never get closed. That's fantastic.

Laziness keeps apps open. Definitely. Personality comes here on whether this is NEED or WANT. But device performance also comes in to picture. My kids keeps tons of apps open in Ipad and the performance doesn't seems sluggish. Expecting a functionality from a toy in a tool is lame but that is a fact. However, for me, in John Chen's style, "That's OK"

How many hidden features are there in BB10?
    As discovered above, even if app get closed on 8th spot, there are ways to get them right on spot.

Like Docs2Go, recover the last file.
    Songs and Video may start where it closed
    In games, the last move is saved

And amazingly, as noted by "sgt_snacks-64", apps stay on active frame even at the bottom. (That's a pinned frame, Kevin, are you listening?)
    Pinned frames: not quite. What Kevin (and I) want is what you do to tabs in chrome. Force the app to remain on the top of the list (maybe even run on boot).

Hidden stuff: it's a new os. I bet we didn't push it enough to find out all it can do!

Do not confuse thing. Keeping apps open and multitasking are different stuff. The iPad freezes the apps once you move away from them. BlackBerry 10 can have apps still work in frames. More over, it is not a hardware limitation. The PlayBook can run loads of apps at once. It was a design decision. The goal was to make sure performance would be great, but remove that and you'll find yourself running 20 apps on a Z10.

People use their devices differently. I am sure you'll come to see that 8 is enough. Like you notices, what you are using stays on the top. I am sure you won't have issues with a Z10!

And do post back after a week of ownership. I'd love to know what you really think after using the device!

Posted via CB10
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    12-07-13 07:45 AM
    So.. let me answer your question to.the point and no beating around the bush..

See.. the concept of active frames is..
    That a whole application is divided into two parts..
    The process(of the application which runs in the background)
    And the GUI ( graphic user interface) which helps the user to see what going on..
    And this GUI is the active frame..
    Now.. the thing is.. that there are two types of apps..
    1) with head( the active frame) : these apps close completely when u close the active frame eg. music, games etc
    2) head less (background apps) : these apps continue to run in the background even when u close the active frame. Eg BBM, alarm(from clock) etc..

So.. u don't need to worry about these active frames.. its like multi tasking..
    Like u double click the home button on an apple device.. or long press home button on an Android phone..

Hope this helps..
    And I am running Z10STL100-2/10.2.0.1791.. so there r headless apps in it..(they weren't there till 10.1)
    And u will get a new Z10 loaded with the same..

Hit via the sexiest fone there is. Did sumone say Z10?
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    12-07-13 08:13 AM
    A lot of apps stay in the state they were in when you closed them. I have a chess app. If I close it completely, the next time I open it, my game is at the exact move it was at when I closed it. Data loss is really not a concern if that was the question.
    Hey.. actually.. those are not native apps ie, they are not "made for BlackBerry "
    They are merely android ports which one can side load or there are many ports in BlackBerry world too.. so to close the game completely.. go tony be menu of the game and swipe down from the top of the screen.. click 'pin bar' and then click on the back button in the bottom of the screen.. then close the app.. and to remove the bar in the bottom.. swipe down from the top and click 'hide bar'
    Hope this helps..!!

Hit via the sexiest fone there is. Did sumone say Z10?
    12-07-13 08:16 AM
    Thanks Creackberry ppl.

Ordered and awaiting for delivery. Will post back my experience.
    diegonei likes this.
    12-08-13 09:21 PM
39 12