Just ranting as I added a new home address to one of my contacts and remembered how much I hate the BlackBerry 10 contacts app.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 05:49 PM
    Hate is pretty strong for an app!
    You gonna let a little app beat you?
    Get back in there and work it. Make it yours.
    OWN IT!!
    kbz1960, newcollector and Jahtruth like this.
    12-18-14 06:14 PM
    Duplicate contacts, lack of merge utility, auto saving to my office, birthdays transposed, lack of sane linking management screens. The list goes on.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 02:49 PM
    Duplicate contacts, lack of merge utility, auto saving to my office, birthdays transposed, lack of sane linking management screens. The list goes on.

Posted via CB10
    Well, seeing how you're not asking for a fix or anything... all I can suggest is:
    Learn to LOVE how much you hate it!!
    12-19-14 03:02 PM
    This is my list so far. I hate the app. Problems with contacts:
    1. Linking system is insane chaos. Automatic linking fails and manual linking is too cumbersome.
    2. Z10 contact is not the main contact.
    3. Linking results in multiple duplicates.
    4. Fields don't propagate across linked contacts
    5. Birthday fields often corrupt.
    6. Birthday fields not linked to calendar with a reminder.
    7. Personal contacts automatically copied to work when using Balance/BES.
    8. No way to properly merge contact sets.
    9. No way to properly merge contact fields.
    10. No way to automatically find and merge duplicate contacts that might have slightly different fields.
    11. Contacts search function does not search within notes

Solution to contacts problems:
    * Expect that the BB10 contact will be one single file that contains the most complete data possible, not a group of linked contacts

*Assume we want BB10 contacts to be considered the source of truth and that all field level updates will flow into or out of the BB10 contact

* The linking system has got to go. It automatically tries to add links for new contacts.

* We need screens to control both 1. *Contact Sets such as BB10, LinkedIn, Yahoo, or PC and *2. *a screen to help with field level updates. *The field level updates control how contact data flows into and out of a particular contact. **3. A screen to merge and dedup existing that intelligently suggests duplicates or like contacts.

* However, will need feeds from other sources that are either 1 or 2 way sync for updates. For example, your Gmail account is 2 way syncing. You can add, delete, or modify contacts in both sets. However, your linkedin contacts will be 1 way syncing. Ex. you cannot modify your linkedin friends' information, only your own.

* changes will propagate out and in based on a hierarchy, or user defined

* merge is used for 2 way contact sets such as Google, however link available but only to allow contact updates to flow through from a unidirectional contact set such as LinkedIn*

* good backup and restore for contacts so can back up to PC withou using workaround such as creating an Outlook account

Posted via CB10
    dibbis and FF22 like this.
    12-19-14 03:13 PM
    I love it! I have full control, and it syncs perfectly with my Outlook.com account... I've never ever encountered the issues other have for some reason...

Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    12-19-14 03:14 PM
    I love it! I have full control, and it syncs perfectly with my Outlook.com account... I've never ever encountered the issues other have for some reason...

Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    Yes! I'd have to agree.
    Numbers 1,3,4,6,8 and 10 are all doable.

I'm not saying it's all perfect but you read up on how to do it on your device by search or help.. you'll find everything you need to know. there are even Videos on your device that show you how to do it.
    That would be time well spent rather then listing why you hate it! (just my opinion)

You could start by opening the Contacts App, slide down from the top and tap "settings" and scroll down to "Show Account in Contact List" and turn on or off what you do or don't want!!

Last edited by Lostboy5151; 12-19-14 at 03:47 PM.
    12-19-14 03:36 PM
    +1 I have the same problem! Even my long dead Nokia has contact management utility. And now my Z10 is just used for bbm and with minimal contact for call purposes only. Not mentioning it is still run 10.2 which force me to charge twice a day due to unexplained battery drain and temp increase.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 05:41 PM
    It's weird. I have about 10 separate email accounts on my Z10, about 300 contacts, and not a single duplicate. Not even one.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 06:23 PM
    It is user error.

Switch to Outlook email, and you won't have any sync issues with the contacts app.

Long live BlackBerry, long live Microsoft. And **** you Google.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    12-19-14 10:05 PM
    I have dupes and trips!!!!!! I canNOT get it straightened out.

I remove them and they are back.

And, yes, there are hundreds of user errors.
    12-20-14 12:48 AM
    The only solution people typically propose is to switch to Outlook.com, the cloud based email. I only want to use the Z10 and sync it to my PC(windows contacts).

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 12:48 AM
    Lostboy can you walk me through #6? Should be easy enough.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 12:49 AM
    I wrote about the Contacts app here. (Give votes and comments if you want.) It's indeed frightening how inconsistent this central and important app is. It looks like a programming test of a student. Then one day suddenly the time was over and so is the app still today.
    12-21-14 03:16 AM
    I have dupes and trips!!!!!! I canNOT get it straightened out.

I remove them and they are back.

And, yes, there are hundreds of user errors.
    Hi F2,

Try to go through this other post, your situation sounds like what I was going through.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=881146

It was driving me nuts too.....but now I no longer have multiple contacts and contact info.

It technically is 'user error', but BB didn't design it well and caused a lot of trouble for a lot of users. Hope they make it better.
    FF22 and anon(3732391) like this.
    12-22-14 05:06 PM