Just wondering how other people use their z10 from an apps perspective.

Having used apps for almost everything on my android device I find with the Z10 my need/desire for apps has pretty much been suppressed by the amazing browser on the Z10.

Granted their are some things that work better in app form.

Has anybody else found the same similar using the Z10?
    03-26-13 04:56 AM

Having used apps for almost everything on my android device I find with the Z10 my need/desire for apps has pretty much been suppressed by the amazing browser on the Z10.

Out of the handful I really wanted when I got my phone, I'm only waiting on two: SoundHound (due sometime soon) and Scrabble. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the web based app experience.
    talk2mikee and 8lackberry8 like this.
    03-26-13 05:32 AM
    I am surviving, unhappily.

Two of my banks haven't got mobile sites. Having to bookmark things u had apps for make me feel like I'm living in 1997.

And need I say it???? The What'sApp app is terrible in comparison to the Android and iOS version AND no native Instagram.

Trying to keep my cool.

Posted via CB10
    JPSKILLZ and KoukiFC3S like this.
    03-26-13 05:33 AM
    Well I am getting along but am pretty annoyed that I still have to pull out my iPhone for so many things. I have to carry it in any case (BB private, iPhone company) but I would wish I could use my iPhone for more things.

There are still many things that work better on the iPhone (like waze) and I am talking iPhone4 not 4s or 5. And the BB has so much more horsepower, I just wish the apps would be as refined.

But for anything that involves typing I use the BB, and I always "grab it first". So if that is an indication ;-)

So no, my need for apps has not reduced. I try to get along and every new app that is released helps a little bit.
    03-26-13 05:45 AM
    Yes I've reduced this to 98%

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 05:47 AM
    Ya. No apps to download.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 05:53 AM
    To be honest I've never been a huge app user. Having been an I phone and galaxy s3 owner in the past, I've noticed that the vast majority of apps available are entirely unnecessary and superfluous.

I've always based my phone selection on which is the best tool for what I need it for, communication. If you want to play games, get a Nintendo ds.

For me, the WhatsApp app is perfectly functional for instant messaging, a native Skype app would be nice but not essential for me.

So for me, the BlackBerry suits all my needs. And the new keyboard on the Z10 is easily the best touchscreen keyboard available.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 05:56 AM
    I have been getting by and I am patient that new apps will be here, I downloaded the eBay app and used it yesterday and it worked OK, I had a couple of FC's because it's an Android port. I would have thought with the money that eBay generates from mobile users, they would have at least had a developer with OS10 knowledge develop the native OS10 app instead of porting a Android one over to the BB World?

I ended up uninstalling the app because it caused severe battery darin on my z10 and the battery life takes priority over the app at this point in my daily use of the device. Not a good start for a new product that is expected to draw folks over from the android and apple platforms who's apps have been refined for years.

I just don't get the people who think oh, just side-load the app you need, yeah right? Fact is, 99.9% of the new users are not going to know what the **** you are talking abut and/or have the knowledge to do it, they just want something they can just download and it works.

I would have thought the folks there in Waterloo making that big money for their expertise would have figured that out? Oh well, who I am I, just the consumer buying your new product.
    03-26-13 06:07 AM

I was never much of an app person. I don't commute nor am I ever far from a computer so it was never an issue. With the Z10 my app usage has increased actually.
    pubcrawl likes this.
    03-26-13 06:14 AM
    My m.sites snap open faster than the actual apps used to, so Yeh, no problems over here

Posted via Freshberry Z10
    goodcoffy likes this.
    03-26-13 06:18 AM
    To be honest I've never been a huge app user. Having been an I phone and galaxy s3 owner in the past, I've noticed that the vast majority of apps available are entirely unnecessary and superfluous.

I've always based my phone selection on which is the best tool for what I need it for, communication. If you want to play games, get a Nintendo ds.

For me, the WhatsApp app is perfectly functional for instant messaging, a native Skype app would be nice but not essential for me.

So for me, the BlackBerry suits all my needs. And the new keyboard on the Z10 is easily the best touchscreen keyboard available.

Posted via CB10
    Except that I am sure that a lot of the apps folks are asking for are not games... not that it is bad to want to play games, nor does it necessarily make a person less of a communicator.
    R_from_Toronto and Berry_Pink like this.
    03-26-13 06:23 AM
    Yes, I find I use less and less apps. I downloaded eBay app and promptly delete it, the website is much easier and faster to use.
    03-26-13 06:23 AM
    Switched from a 9900 last year to a sgs2 and for 8 months I had apps at my disposal. After a few months I realized that I used less and less of them. Fb, twitter, foursquare and whatsapp are the main ones. Had instagram and Skype rarely used them.

Yes I miss some of the others but not to e extent that I see many others complain and give the phone a bad review over.

Posted via CB10
    aarty likes this.
    03-26-13 06:35 AM
    I was never big on apps to begin with. A good Bank of America app would be nice, but I just use the browser in the mean time. To be honest, I don't see why someone would get the Z10 right now if they love/depend on apps a lot. Blackberry world is severely lacking compared to ios and android. It'll change over time though.
    03-26-13 06:43 AM
    nope. im always looking for new apps to sideload!
    aarty likes this.
    03-26-13 07:02 AM
    No....not at all.....(since yesterday) There were 3 apps I absolutely needed, and BB World didn't have an alternative. I converted the .apk's to .bar files and side loaded them onto my Z10. Now if I can just find a real Z10 dock, I'll be a happy camper.
    03-26-13 07:03 AM
    Not at all.. i have over 60 apps on my Z10. Stop complaining you need need native vs sideload. You've had your phone a week

Posted via CB10
    root likes this.
    03-26-13 07:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    I don't play games.

I am talking banking apps, insurance apps, comprehensive public transportation apps.

Posted via CB10
    MTL likes this.
    03-26-13 07:11 AM
    All my banks have mobile sites that work better than any app I used on my Android.

I use the hub 70%, Browser 20%, CB10 10% and NHL Gamecenter 10%

Other apps would make up less than a percent after the initial exploration of the app.

Posted from my Z10 in the CB10 app
    03-26-13 07:14 AM
    Not at all.. i have over 60 apps on my Z10. Stop complaining you need need native vs sideload. You've had your phone a week

Posted via CB10
    Who says anyone has to stop complaining. A lot missing and for too long. There are about 6 I'm waiting patiently on but you don't get to tell anyone to stop complaining. Who the eff are you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Berry_Pink likes this.
    03-26-13 07:20 AM
    I am surviving, unhappily.

Two of my banks haven't got mobile sites. Having to bookmark things u had apps for make me feel like I'm living in 1997.

And need I say it???? The What'sApp app is terrible in comparison to the Android and iOS version AND no native Instagram.

Trying to keep my cool.

Posted via CB10
    Really surprised a bank wouldn't have a mobile site in this day and age. Luckily mine does.
    03-26-13 07:23 AM
    FOR ME BIG TIME.The more ''must have apps'' get ported over the more I laugh and find the concept and devs stupid. The app culture is funny.

I have laptops/desktops 50% of that usage is all online,no tablet or phone can do the other 50% of my laptop/desktop use.So all a phone is a contact tool that allows me my internet usage when I'm on the move.So majority of apps are pointless for me.The Z's browsers great I don't use these faux apps when I use my laptop/desktop.I have no need for them on my phone I dont use my phone as some laptop replacement which people seem to do.

I find it hilarious that these apps are nothing but mobile websites repackaged.How have ''apps'' needed to be built for individual platforms when they are just mobile sites is puzzeling.I don't open up an eBay app,amazon,Facebook separately on my laptop/desktop I open up my browser and these websites are opened in tabs.Why are we opening these separately when we have web browsers,mobile browsers with tab options.

These devs care about saving money and resources or whatever excuse.So why are they wasting time developing for x,y,z when they can focus more on the website functionality and can write 1 universal website that reach more people as a alot of people have browsers on their phones.We got 4g speeds,free wifi hotspots,fast mobile browsers.Yet people are creating websites masquerading as apps its 2013 not 2005.

Not to say apps don't matter they do but as tools, phone 2 phone/cross platforms IM's, Voip/video chat, ,flashlights ,remotes, apps that use the phones sensors,editing software,real programs.

Its new times the world changes every 4 years reliance on apps need to die era of needing apps needs to be extinct asap.Better communication,better tools and user experience is the way forward.**** better battery is the major thing these new speeds are not kind to battery.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 04-10-13 at 04:54 PM.
    03-26-13 07:25 AM
    There are just a couple apps I'm waiting for. Wunderlist, which has a webapp that works well, and Amazon which works as good on the browser. My bank has a mobile site so I'm good there. All-in-all no problems here but everyone has different needs.
    03-26-13 07:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    Backberry needs to overcome the app gap. Enough defending.

I showed my phone to several people yesterday. Everyone OOOOOOHHHHHH and aaaaaaahhhhhh when they saw it. Everyone said nice device, eyes lit up.

Then the question.....how was Instagram. What about Skype. Netflix

Then the "Well, what apps ARE there????"

And the enthusiasm went away. No more eyes lit up.

Then the inevitable "Well they won't make it out of their perception problems without apps."

Make excuses here, BlackBerry faithful. Consumers in the U.S. expect apps.

Without side loading, that's a workaround. I've got an Android. I want to run my BlackBerry like a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 07:37 AM
    As interest in BB10 increases, apps will come. It is a newborn baby just learning to crawl. This is not a do or die situation. I do believe as the technology changes, apps will be a thing of the past.
    03-26-13 07:44 AM
209 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD