I did it like this. Read it from someone that gave his solution in another thread.

Briefly

1. Stop Syncing all contact accounts. (Delete them)

2. Use Contact X auto merge contacts by number.

2. Manually fix all contacts ( repeated contacts with different names) and link Facebook accounts, etc.

3. Use Contact X to export .vcf file to your phone.

4. Email yourself the .vcf file to your Gmail account.

5. Delete all your Gmail contacts.

6. Open the email you sent yourself in the desktop mode web browser or desktop/laptop. And click the option to import contacts from vcf file instead of downloading the file.

7. Use Contact X and delete all your contacts from your phone.

8. Go to Settings > Accounts > Add new > Advance > CardDAV. Put your credentials and in server write Google.com

9. Set the Sync interval to 24 hours so it doesn't drain your battery

10. Your contacts will begin to appear for the next half hour. You might need to remake the correct links to Facebook profiles on some of them.

Enjoy no more duplicates ever. At this point you can delete Contact X, you won't need it anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Douken; 05-03-13 at 04:45 AM.
    ami.one likes this.
    04-23-13 09:28 AM
    Thanks. But, not sure why, I was getting the super-duplicate on duplicates issue. So I went through and started cleaning them up -- and in the middle of deleting duplicates they started coming back again (I may have hit the exact sync moment). But I just went ahead over the next couple days and deleted duplicates... and suddenly it just stopped duplicating. No idea why. T-Mo USA.
    pallav_gupta likes this.
    04-23-13 09:58 AM
    Because you delete them on your phone but not in the database you're syncing on.

If you follow the guide I guarantee you that you will not have any more problems

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 11:46 AM
    Does this fix the problem in the phone's contacts? As opposed to just the contacts app?

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 11:58 AM
    Both

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 11:10 PM
    Spread the word!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 12:42 AM
    Did you try to make changes to a contact and save it? What happens then?
    05-03-13 06:54 AM
    Gets saved like it's supposed to. No problems.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 07:53 PM
    This guide may work for people who put their "master" contact list into Gmail, and then only update contact information in their Gmail account (never updating or adding new contacts on their phone), but it is not a fix for the rest of us experiencing issues.

I am an example of someone experiencing duplicate contact problems, and I do not sync with Gmail.

(I am just adding this comment so that people are aware that the issues with the Contacts app are bigger than just Gmail sync settings)
    ryanlrobinson likes this.
    05-12-13 12:45 AM
    Hmm, good to know. What email server do you use?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 07:28 PM
    Hmm, good to know. What email server do you use?

Posted via CB10
    I use Outlook.com for personal mail and Exchange for work. A description of some of my issues with duplicate contacts on the Z10 can be found here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post8421659

The problem is that the Z10 is trying to maintain multiple copies of every contact record on the device and this is corrupting everyone's data over time with duplicate, triplicate records. All these duplicate records are not just confusing to the device owner, but also appear to be confusing the OS itself with regard to figuring out things like which contact name to display for incoming calls, and where to log activity history.
    05-13-13 09:03 PM
    When you sync after removing contacts on Gmail, does it sync all the details like notes, birth dates & anniversaries also??
    05-14-13 09:13 AM
    This guide may work for people who put their "master" contact list into Gmail, and then only update contact information in their Gmail account (never updating or adding new contacts on their phone), but it is not a fix for the rest of us experiencing issues.

I am an example of someone experiencing duplicate contact problems, and I do not sync with Gmail.

(I am just adding this comment so that people are aware that the issues with the Contacts app are bigger than just Gmail sync settings)
    Yeah, my phone is primarily copying/moving from my Office 365 Exchange personal email into my Exchange work email so I'm in the same boat that this wouldn't work.
    05-26-13 07:37 AM
    Manually fix all contacts... hahaha. nice joke

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 03:55 PM
    I just did 10 reboots to try and problem solve my issues.

I get duplicates on the same 30 or so contacts every time. I merge them with contact X.

I removed all outside email syncing with my Gmail account. All I have is twitter and sim card. Twitter never duplicates.

When you get duplicates back it's not taking your previous contact links and separating them. I have one case where contact X merged two brandis, same name different number. After they duplicate I still have the Brandi with both numbers, and a Brandi with just one. Not 3 brandis though so it's inconsistant.

I've checked and unchecked the "send info to RIM cloud to find more info on your contacts" box. Both instances will bring the duplicates after a restart. And what's even more weird is that box re-checks itself after every reboot. So you can't turn it off. If this is causing the problem it would make sense.

Other then that, wtf... this is a joke. I can't maintain 80 contacts without it turning to a mess.

EDIT: ok just realized that if I take away my sim card contacts out of the list the duplicates go away. So my device and sim card aren't sharing contacts nice. Do these auto sync? It takes about 30 seconds from a reboot to duplicate. I'm guessing contact X will merge my device and sim contacts. But then after every reboot the phone goes back on my sim save file and tosses them in the phone again.

I'm running 10.1, most recent update from telus.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 09:05 AM
    For fun I re synced with Gmail and it duplicated everything lol.

What it comes down too is the "all" section in contacts created by blackberry as being completely useless. But in gmails case it will sync both ways and destroy that backup of your contacts aswell if I remember correctly, I took out my Gmail months ago thinking that was the problem.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 09:23 AM
    My work email is a Google based email account, so i'm well & truly screwed
    06-03-13 08:29 PM