When can we look forward to GpsLogger app for Z10?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 03:19 AM
    Hi,

UPDATE 2014/06/23
    GPSLogger II for the BlackBerry 10 is here: GPSLogger II - The free AIO GPS solution - BlackBerry World

ORIGINAL POST
    actually I was contacted by RIM/BlackBerry if I am willing to port my application to BB10 - to be able to port AND test the application I have kindly asked to to get additional support by BlackBerry - including the question, if they could send me over a BB10 device - I have actually asked multiple times - none of these emails have been replied. At the same time I had contact with other BlackBerry Developer Relation Team Members that where very kind and we have exchanged plenty of technical/implementation details that have been a great help - but to be honest - the behavior of the none technical developer relation team is simple frustrating.

I would not had mind, to receive a negative reply - but simply being ignored is fitting into the picture... If you will find a 'GPSLogger' for BB10, then it's probably not by emacberry.com.
    Last edited by emacf1; 06-23-14 at 11:59 AM. Reason: GPSLogger II for BB10 is released!
    03-24-13 02:44 AM
    I understand that but if you are in the business of selling GPS apps then your priority should likely be to find out if buyers would want that app on BB and then sell it if its promising to be profitable, right? Certainly, ignoring mails is not a good thing but if the tech team did help you out with details then what's still in the way?
    03-24-13 03:28 AM
    First of all - GPSLogger has been always for free

but if the tech team did help you out with details then what's still in the way?
    What's in the way - actually releasing an app without having ever tested it on a real device would be even more foolish then ignoring emails... Yes there are SIMs - but honestly that are just SIMs - during my BlackBerry developer Career I have encountered so many things that work on a SIM, that does not work on a real device, that I would not believe that this would have all changed with BB10.

So what's in the way? - Holding a BB10 device in my hands to start with one thing that's in the way
    03-24-13 03:40 AM
    Well ok, if we are talking about a non-profit app then this makes more sense. If it was a regular for-profit then I would have said just buy a Z10 as an investment.

I think BB is in a difficult position here, seeing how the lack of apps is still a big issue for many. With that in mind, supporting devs who want to develop free quality apps would be a good thing.
    03-24-13 03:44 AM
    ...With that in mind, supporting devs who want to develop free quality apps would be a good thing.
    at least talking with them would be a start... have in mind, RIM contacted me, if I am willing to port my application - they started the initiative...

And concerning the mentioned situation lack of apps - it's self chosen by RIM - they have decided that the new OS will not support Legacy OS apps [OS4.x-7.x] - even not in a sandbox/emulator environment (even if I can understand this fact from a technical point of view).
    03-24-13 04:00 AM
    7 months later. still waiting - still hoping
    10-29-13 01:40 PM
    Honestly what I actually really suggest is, that you take out your old BlackBerry device - fire up the WiFi and get GPSLogger II 3.3 OPEN BETA running... that's actually the only purpose of my remaining BlackBerry device.

If RIM (ahm - BlackBerry) continue to disallow developers to "easily" paint on a Canvas (right now you have to do it via hard core OpenGL), so long we will not see a build4blackberry GPSLogger Version on the new Platform. Again even if I could understand the motivation behind this restriction - I am simply refusing to make 27 steps backwards and code like I did in 1992 (don't blame me for this exaggeration)...
    10-29-13 02:25 PM
    Honestly what I actually really suggest is, that you take out your old BlackBerry device - fire up the WiFi and get GPSLogger II 3.3 OPEN BETA running... that's actually the only purpose of my remaining BlackBerry device.

If RIM (ahm - BlackBerry) continue to disallow developers to "easily" paint on a Canvas (right now you have to do it via hard core OpenGL), so long we will not see a build4blackberry GPSLogger Version on the new Platform. Again even if I could understand the motivation behind this restriction - I am simply refusing to make 27 steps backwards and code like I did in 1992 (don't blame me for this exaggeration)...
    All I can say is I'm terribly sorry that Rim (ahem, BB (I liked your reference!) is as uncooperative as they have been. I'd been using gps-logger for ages both here in the US as well as over on your side of the pond, hiking in the Dolomites and Austria. It was a very well-done program (you can see how old I am - calling them programs rather than apps!). I also miss file-scout.

Best to you in whatever you do.

F2
    emacf1 likes this.
    10-29-13 02:58 PM
    Well said, F2, and I agree wholeheartedly, being in the same boat myself as a long-time filescout and gpslogger user (well, until I ditched the 9700 for a Z10 last spring).
    10-29-13 03:51 PM
    First of all - GPSLogger has been always for free

What's in the way - actually releasing an app without having ever tested it on a real device would be even more foolish then ignoring emails... Yes there are SIMs - but honestly that are just SIMs - during my BlackBerry developer Career I have encountered so many things that work on a SIM, that does not work on a real device, that I would not believe that this would have all changed with BB10.

So what's in the way? - Holding a BB10 device in my hands to start with one thing that's in the way
    You are certainly correct. The simulator does not a bad job with basic GPS function. You are right in that you don't want to release a GPS program without testing it on the hardware.

I can't solve your hardware problem, but I'm willing to test drive your app. I have a Z10 and a DA-C both running the official 10.2 and experience with GPS on BlackBerry:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/128442

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 04:08 PM
    Actually in the meanwhile BlackBerry has provided me a DevAlpha Device (earlier this year)... So they made at least the min. required step - and I was very thankful to receive the device. Since it was the first chance for me to get the new BB experience... I just like to clarify this here.

What I have learned/read/evaluate concerning the different API's available my statement concerning the 27 steps backwards is still valid. If you miss GPSLogger, then get a (cheap/used) classic BlackBerry, plug in a SDCard and connect it via WiFi and you will have Bing!Maps, GoogleMaps and many other Maps with you ;-)
    10-29-13 05:07 PM
    Well said, F2, and I agree wholeheartedly, being in the same boat myself as a long-time filescout and gpslogger user (well, until I ditched the 9700 for a Z10 last spring).
    I only "ditched" the 9930 last month (sniff) and really still miss many aspects of it including Emacf1's apps.
    emacf1 likes this.
    10-29-13 05:13 PM

While I won't say painting on a canvas is easy, or well supported, you don't have to use hard core OpenGL to do it. Also if you can code your solution in terms of rendering lines or polygons and dropping icons you don't have to write any drawing code at all:
    Goniometer - SARMobile
    10-29-13 05:30 PM
    . Also if you can code your solution in terms of rendering lines or polygons and dropping icons you don't have to write any drawing code at all
    You can point me to a link in the "new" 10.2 API's that allow me to paint polylines and BufferedImage Data...
    10-29-13 05:36 PM
    Wow.... just yesterday I was wondering what became of gpslogger....i loved it.

Then I read this. IMHO, if they initiated the contact, then, more or less, left you hanging, that's not good.....

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    10-29-13 05:43 PM
    Then I read this. IMHO, if they initiated the contact, then, more or less, left you hanging, that's not good...
    Actually that's not correct anymore - as I tried to explain - initially this statement was true - after a couple of month (after the initial contact) they have provided me with a DevDevice and offered the help concerning implementation questions - so it's not true, that they just have "left me hanging" - yes - it took them quite a while - but RIM gave me finally support.

Most of my technical questions where more or less answered with "No - that is currently not possible with OS10.1 - but we are working on changing this" - I guess some of the points are now fixed/possible to do with 10.2 - looks like I could investigate a bit deeper what is now possible.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-30-13 02:20 AM
    Actually that's not correct anymore - as I tried to explain - initially this statement was true - after a couple of month (after the initial contact) they have provided me with a DevDevice and offered the help concerning implementation questions - so it's not true, that they just have "left me hanging" - yes - it took them quite a while - but RIM gave me finally support.

Most of my technical questions where more or less answered with "No - that is currently not possible with OS10.1 - but we are working on changing this" - I guess some of the points are now fixed/possible to do with 10.2 - looks like I could investigate a bit deeper what is now possible.
    Well, thanks for the clarification. It's unfortunate that nothing is possible (yet). In any case, please know that there are many folks hoping that you can be accomodated in the new OS
    FF22 likes this.
    10-30-13 08:36 PM
    I am finally stop using my torch (and gpslogger) and i am 'upgrading' to a z10.
    I am a gpslogger user for three years now, and am very happy with it.
    what is the situation right now with converting gpslogger to bb10?

thanx anyway for letting me use it all that time.
    and promise: if you convert it, i'll buy it.
    03-17-14 06:04 AM
    03-17-14 06:37 AM
    Even if this thread is already quite old - over the past two weeks I have made some major steps ahead concerning an android port of GPSLogger II - I am just in a very early stage - but as soon as I have something to show I want to provide also build for BlackBerry 10 [of course as Android Port]...
    FF22 likes this.
    05-11-14 04:12 PM
    Even if this thread is already quite old - over the past two weeks I have made some major steps ahead concerning an android port of GPSLogger II - I am just in a very early stage - but as soon as I have something to show I want to provide also build for BlackBerry 10 [of course as Android Port]...
    Ah, you prove the old saying: "You can't keep an old (or young) programmer down!" (just made up this variation of the old saying! )
    05-11-14 04:29 PM
    If you can install plain APK's on your BlackBerry you might like to try the first Version...

It should work with all Blackberry 10 devices -

Download the APK to your local file system of your BlackBerry and then simply open it via the FileManager

http://www.emacberry.com/ota/gpslogger2.apk

let me know what you think!
    Last edited by emacf1; 06-07-14 at 03:12 AM.
    06-06-14 01:22 PM
    If you can install plain APK's on your BlackBerry you might like to try the first Version...

It should work with all Blackberry 10 devices -

Download the APK to your local file system of your BlackBerry and then simply open it via the FileManager

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fyripwqp2...PSLoggerII.apk

let me know what you think!
    Yipee!

It found me.

Does it allow panning of the map? Can I see more map and "less compass"

I have to admit that I have not examined it carefully - basically loaded it!!!!!
    06-06-14 07:47 PM
    - no - no map pan - was never there - swipe left & right to change display, & pinch to zoom

enable/dispable secondary views via the menu - and/or adjust the initial start views via the settings - there are "some" configurations choices
    06-07-14 01:19 AM
42 12