According to the Z10 specs it has real GPS on board: "Assisted, Autonomous and Simultaneous GPS Preloaded with BlackBerry Maps application. GLONASS Support." So I gather when you turn on an app like maps, GPS and cell tower nav come on simultaneously. However, if I'm out of the country, can I turn on a stand-alone GPS so as to use maps saved on the SD card and not incur huge data charges by downloading maps via cell service? In other words, can I shut off data and have a way to turn on GPS?

Thanks
    04-02-13 11:00 AM
    04-02-13 11:34 AM
    Thanks but doesn't really answer the question. I'm also interested in Magellan Maps, but I need to confirm GPS can be used stand-alone, data reception OFF. Any clues anyone?
    04-02-13 11:43 AM
    I have no idea. I would assume that if the map app you're using doesn't require a data connection then in theory what you're asking will work.

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    04-02-13 11:53 AM
    I have no idea. I would assume that if the map app you're using doesn't require a data connection then in theory what you're asking will work.

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    Right... but in Google maps, for instance, I could turn off data and run the maps only on GPS. Since there does not seem to be a dedicated GPS activation button on the Z10, how is this possible? Perhaps through Compass? Does anyone actually know?

Thanks
    04-02-13 12:12 PM
    Thanks but doesn't really answer the question. I'm also interested in Magellan Maps, but I need to confirm GPS can be used stand-alone, data reception OFF. Any clues anyone?
    In the thread linked to, the OP says "So when I booted up my Z10, I was shocked and thrilled to see the GPS lock on after about 30 to 40 seconds. At 33000ft and 540MPH the GPS was faithfully plotting my track. I used the Magellan Compass/GPS app to show the maps. The maps were stored into the Z10's cache so there was no need to have the data on. Also, while in airplane mode, the GPS receiver still works." emphasis added.

I think that answers your question.
    04-02-13 12:27 PM
    Just try it out first.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 12:29 PM
    In the thread linked to, the OP says "So when I booted up my Z10, I was shocked and thrilled to see the GPS lock on after about 30 to 40 seconds. At 33000ft and 540MPH the GPS was faithfully plotting my track. I used the Magellan Compass/GPS app to show the maps. The maps were stored into the Z10's cache so there was no need to have the data on. Also, while in airplane mode, the GPS receiver still works." emphasis added.

I think that answers your question.
    OK, saw that... BUT... do you need an app to do this? In other words does this mean with compass running and data off, ANY GPS program should be able to access GPS? Or, put another way, is the Compass -- essentially -- the stand-alone GPS "switch"? That make sense?
    04-02-13 01:22 PM
    OK, saw that... BUT... do you need an app to do this? In other words does this mean with compass running and data off, ANY GPS program should be able to access GPS? Or, put another way, is the Compass -- essentially -- the stand-alone GPS "switch"? That make sense?
    I downloaded the Magellan app today ($4.99) and played around a bit with it and, while I haven't totally figured it out. Here is my take: with the compass it will give you lat and long and direction when the GPS is on but you won't get the speed and track that the linked thread referred to, for that you need an app.

Must say the gps receiver is first rate. I am getting a signal in my living room in the ground floor of a 3 story double brick construction house. Will play some more and report back.
    04-02-13 04:52 PM