Golfing with a guy yesterday. Always had yardage right. Asked him what he was using. He said skydroid. Of course it was on a DROID device. I searched "Golf" om app world and got nothing gps range app wise. Saw a news story that skydroid was now available on bb10! Searched the name and there it was.

Yes it's a port but it seems to work great. Has every course I have looked up. What is also very cool is that it works with no data connection! I guess the Z unlike other Berrys let's you actually use the gps without calling home!

I wi be trying it on my round today and will report back.

Blackberry World..how can I search the word golf and not come up with this great app??

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 08:02 AM
    lucky guy wish i was golfing
    03-14-13 08:05 AM
    Technically, that is cheating. :-)
    03-14-13 09:07 AM
    How is that cheating?

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 09:08 AM
    Many clubs have gps right in the carts!

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 09:16 AM
    I've contacted Golflogix and Golfshot and asked them about making native BB10 apps. That was yesterday so hopefully hear some good news soon!

Skydroid looks like a real nice app as well and will definitely give it a try when I get my Z10.
    cman5 likes this.
    03-14-13 09:17 AM
    I've contacted Golflogix and Golfshot and asked them about making native BB10 apps. That was yesterday so hopefully hear some good news soon!

Skydroid looks like a real nice app as well and will definitely give it a try when I get my Z10.
    Golflogix won't happen. I contacted them a month ago and they said due to bb diminished sales, it's not feasible to make a new app.
    03-14-13 09:39 AM
    Golflogix won't happen. I contacted them a month ago and they said due to bb diminished sales, it's not feasible to make a new app.
    A lot has changed in a month...maybe when they see the popularity of these new BB10 devices they will reconsider!
    03-14-13 09:55 AM
    The Royal and Ancient rules of golf, used to forbid "Distance-Measuing Devices" used in the game, but they likely opened it up now...as long as you are only measuring distance, and not other factors (such as wind-speed, slope, etc).

Real golfers use their eye. ;-)
    03-14-13 11:01 AM
    Real golfers use a knowledgeable caddy and in depth, precise yardage books ;-). I believe that any electronic measuring device is against the rules in tournament play
    03-14-13 11:05 AM
    @OP. Looking forward to your review especially any information on battery drain. I purchased Skydroid last week but haven't had a chance to play. :-(

I have Golfshot GPS and really like it on my iPhone. When I contacted the developer last year they said they had no current plans for BlackBerry or something like that. If Skydroid works well, I'll switch otherwise I will use my iPhone as my golf device.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 11:27 AM
    Only in Tournament play, seen a lot of weekend warriors used this type of electronic gadget now.

Technically, that is cheating. :-)
    03-14-13 11:32 AM
    Only in Tournament play, seen a lot of weekend warriors used this type of electronic gadget now.
    I also really like the electronic score cards and the stats tracking.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 12:41 PM
    So played a full round. Left it on and running whole time.

Was nice not having to look around for yardage markers.

Comparing to markers. Once it settled down (10 secs) it was within a yard or two or dead on.

I didn't use the satellite views to avoid data consumption stateside.

My battery is at 41%.

Has been on since 9 am and it is now roughly 6pm. Round started at 12:30.

Posted via CB10
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    03-14-13 05:11 PM
    there is more than 2 feet of snow here! I wish I hadn't read this thread! no golf till may at this rate!

CB10 App, Z10
    03-14-13 05:15 PM
    Little spring break trip with my teenage son to Myrtle Beach. Amazingly cheap and great golf! It was only about 12 c today but sunny.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 05:19 PM
    there is more than 2 feet of snow here! I wish I hadn't read this thread! no golf till may at this rate!
    LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing as I look out the window and see yet more snow falling.
    03-14-13 05:27 PM
    So played a full round. Left it on and running whole time.

Was nice not having to look around for yardage markers.

Comparing to markers. Once it settled down (10 secs) it was within a yard or two or dead on.

I didn't use the satellite views to avoid data consumption stateside.

My battery is at 41%.

Has been on since 9 am and it is now roughly 6pm. Round started at 12:30.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the review! I've been spoiled using Golfshot GPS but it sounds like this might be a good substitute and glad to hear the battery lasted so well. Any issues with bright sunshine and being able to see/read the screen?
    03-14-13 10:21 PM
    Thanks for the review! I've been spoiled using Golfshot GPS but it sounds like this might be a good substitute and glad to hear the battery lasted so well. Any issues with bright sunshine and being able to see/read the screen?
    No, no issue with seeing screen. My only issues were learning new app. Couldn't see score mid round (played with the scoring function too) also could only track one players score.

Posted via CB10
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    03-15-13 01:50 AM
    On the technical rules front, distance measurement is permitted but weather conditions are not. If you also have a weather app on your phone (whether you're using it at the time or not) you're breaking the rules.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 07:16 AM