I'm going to cuba tomorrow and I want to use my z10 as a mp3 player. I don't want data or voice. If I leave it in airplane mode will I be ok? Don't want to be billed

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 03:55 PM
    Just turn off network and data to be sure.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 04:00 PM
    Yes that. Go in to your settings and network connections. Under mobile network, you can turn off both.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 04:01 PM
    Yep, that'll do it! Have a good trip!
    06-08-13 04:15 PM
    Just put it in airplane mode. That turns off all your radios. No need to do as the others say and turn things off seperately. This is what I've been doing for a while if you don't want voice/data. I just put it in airplane mode and then swith on wi-fi. Then I can get emails or text with WhatsApp while on wi-fi.
    Cap_172R likes this.
    06-08-13 04:22 PM
    Thought if you took a smartphone to Cuba that Cuban customs may take it?

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 04:24 PM
    Thought if you took a smartphone to Cuba that Cuban customs may take it?

Posted via CB10
    Someone on here did say that but i've been there a couple times with no issues...mind you going from Canada not the US so don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 04:26 PM
    Just put it in airplane mode. That turns off all your radios. No need to do as the others say and turn things off seperately. This is what I've been doing for a while if you don't want voice/data. I just put it in airplane mode and then swith on wi-fi. Then I can get emails or text with WhatsApp while on wi-fi.
    Right on! forgot to mention the wifi part lol. That's what i do as well... on my Note or Z10... Works like a charm, everytime. And with Wifi, you still get BBM on the Z! BBM/BBM voice or video
    06-08-13 04:29 PM
    Get it unlocked. You get the codes fast. Then grab a sim card in Cuba. Their plans are dirt cheap. That's what I did when I went to St.Lucia. Telus bends you over on roaming.

Posted via CB10
    jh07 likes this.
    06-08-13 04:32 PM
    Thanks guys

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 07:38 PM
    I went to Cuba about a couple months ago. I never brought my Z10 because I was afraid I'd lose it. Turns out that pretty much every other Canadian that was there had brought their phones with them! Yes leave your phone in airplane mode, unless you want to get hit with a data bill in the hundreds or even thousands! The all inclusive resort we went to had no wifi. Wifi is pretty non existent in Cuba, but there you can get Internet time cards. The connection there was slow, but doable.

Have fun in Cuba!

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 07:52 PM
    Someone on here did say that but i've been there a couple times with no issues...mind you going from Canada not the US so don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Posted via CB10
    That was me. The reason they can be confiscated is because GPS devices are illegal in Cuba for travelers. So, if the phone has GPS it's illegal and could be confiscated. In all likelihood you'd probably be OK. Friends I travel with who have brought their iDevices haven't had any issues. I'm not a risk taker though when it comes to the law (especially in another country!) so I leave mine at home when I go.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 12:08 AM
    That was me. The reason they can be confiscated is because GPS devices are illegal in Cuba for travelers. So, if the phone has GPS it's illegal and could be confiscated. In all likelihood you'd probably be OK. Friends I travel with who have brought their iDevices haven't had any issues. I'm not a risk taker though when it comes to the law (especially in another country!) so I leave mine at home when I go.

Posted via CB10
    I wasn't aware of that. Good to know though. Thanks for the info.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 08:31 AM