OK, so I have sync'd all my Google contacts to my Z10 by simply adding my Gmail account... easy peasy. But I have noticed that when I add a new contact on my phone it must be "labeled" differently than the Gmail contacts that were sync'd. For example, when I use Link to sync my phone with Outlook, it only syncs the contacts that I added via my Z10, not the ones that were sync'd from Google.

Is there a way to "label" all the contacts the same so that they are recognized as BlackBerry contacts?
    08-29-13 07:17 AM
    I'm betting that the contacts you've added on your device are ending up in the "Local Contacts" list in addition to (or instead of) your Gmail list. To check the situation, open Contacts, then tap "All" at bottom left. Select your Gmail list -- only Gmail contacts will be displayed. See if the contacts you've added on your device are there. (Hopefully they are.) Then go back to the All view. Swipe down from the top and go to settings. Toggle off "Show Account in Contact List" for all accounts (this will not delete them). Return to the All view. If you see any contacts, they're in the Local list, and probably linked to the contacts in the Gmail list.

If you want to get rid of those and just work from your Gmail list, tap each one, then tap Links at the bottom. You can then unlink them so you can delete the Local contacts safely. You can delete them one at a time, use multi-select from the overflow menu, or (from the Home page) go to Settings > Accounts > overflow menu and tap "Clear Local Contacts".

To avoid adding contacts to the Local Contacts list in the future, open Contacts, tap All (bottom left) and select your Gmail list. If you add the contact in that view, it will be added to the Gmail list only.

It took me a while to get to this... but this is why Link is only syncing those contacts you added on your device. Link will not sync contacts (or calendar entries) that are on an online account like Gmail or Hotmail, only ones that are stored in Local Contacts.

Personally, I keep all contacts in my Gmail account so I can access/update them from a number of devices or PC without the need for a manual sync.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. ~ecm
    R Dale D and anon(4086547) like this.
    08-29-13 12:23 PM
    I'm betting that the contacts you've added on your device are ending up in the "Local Contacts" list in addition to (or instead of) your Gmail list. To check the situation, open Contacts, then tap "All" at bottom left. Select your Gmail list -- only Gmail contacts will be displayed. See if the contacts you've added on your device are there. (Hopefully they are.) Then go back to the All view. Swipe down from the top and go to settings. Toggle off "Show Account in Contact List" for all accounts (this will not delete them). Return to the All view. If you see any contacts, they're in the Local list, and probably linked to the contacts in the Gmail list.

If you want to get rid of those and just work from your Gmail list, tap each one, then tap Links at the bottom. You can then unlink them so you can delete the Local contacts safely. You can delete them one at a time, use multi-select from the overflow menu, or (from the Home page) go to Settings > Accounts > overflow menu and tap "Clear Local Contacts".

To avoid adding contacts to the Local Contacts list in the future, open Contacts, tap All (bottom left) and select your Gmail list. If you add the contact in that view, it will be added to the Gmail list only.

It took me a while to get to this... but this is why Link is only syncing those contacts you added on your device. Link will not sync contacts (or calendar entries) that are on an online account like Gmail or Hotmail, only ones that are stored in Local Contacts.

Personally, I keep all contacts in my Gmail account so I can access/update them from a number of devices or PC without the need for a manual sync.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. ~ecm
    Thanks so much for the detailed explanation ecm! I followed your suggestions and it looks like that's exactly what was happening. The ones I added on my phone were synced with Gmail so that was good. I will leave my phone contacts in the Gmail view from now on. And I guess I will have to find another way to sync my Gmail contacts and calendar with Outlook.
    08-29-13 03:19 PM
    Thanks so much for the detailed explanation ecm! I followed your suggestions and it looks like that's exactly what was happening. The ones I added on my phone were synced with Gmail so that was good. I will leave my phone contacts in the Gmail view from now on. And I guess I will have to find another way to sync my Gmail contacts and calendar with Outlook.
    Glad it help.
    I've put a fair amount of work into figuring and reading others' input about how Gmail works with BB10. I'm happy to share that where I can.
    Cheers.
    08-29-13 03:26 PM
    Hello Elessar,

I am trying to find the best option to sync all my contacts as well. I use Outlook 2013, BBQ10, Samsung Note 2 and want them to sync everything. Unfortunately each phone (BB/Smasung/Iphone) and each app (Outlook, Whastapp, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin) has a different way of storing contacts. I want the best solution to have one universal contact list.

I have 1800 contacts in outlook but 1780 contacts in BB, BB link does not resolve this issue. (I really can not understand how the world has not come up with a standard sync program So many people have sync issues)
    So yesterday I did this:

1. I did a master reset to my Q10, so no contacts whatsoever.
    2. I went to Gmail.com and deleted all my gmail contacts. 0 contacts
    3. I exported my 1800 contacts to a csv file, and I actually see 1800 rows in the excel file
    4. I deleted all my contacts in outlook
    5. So now I have only a csv file with 1800 contacts.
    6. I imported the CSV to gmail.com contacts, voila I have 1800 contacts in Gmail. So I assume no probelms with Gmail and Outlook and CSV file.
    7. I added my gmail account my BB q10, IMAP, to get those contacts. It takes time since it does it over the web. ****PROBLEM: I do not get 1800 but get 1780 or something! Could not solve this problem and really do not understand why***
    8. I open BB link to sync my q10 with outlook, 1 way from device to PC. ****Problem: I get only 40 contacts!!! Why why why, it's one way and only 40 contacts.
    9. I did 2 way sync and then 1700 arrived. I don't understand how this works.
    10. After 2way sync, under contacts on BB there is a separate PC contacts apart from my gmail IMap contacts. Why?? I just sync, I don't want duplicates???
    11. I deleted all my gmail contacts from the web and it takes time for the BB to get those, approximately 8 hours??? But I still have these PC contacts in the BB. Just because I synced with a pc, it created copies of all contacts and even if I delete contacts from IMAP, BB doesn't delete them and hence outlook does not sync.

Do you think the only option is to use Gmail contacts via IMAP on BB and use a separate program called "GO Contact Sync Mod" to sync gmail contacts with outlook.

Anther question is about Whatsapp. Even though I deleted all contacts from my BB (both gmail IMAP contacts and accounts, and the pc contacts that appeared after the sync) and when I go to contacts there are 0 contacts in BB, when I open up Whatsapp, most contacts are still there. That means Whatsapp creates another set of contacts from your bb contacts and saves them somewhere else???

Another is BBM. That also creates another set of contacts!

Another is Twitter and Facebook and Linkedin. Each program creates a separate list in BB and Samsung and Gmail etc.

Please someone tell me the best way.
    Cureently I have 0 contacts in my outlook and bb and samsung and BBM and whatsapp contacts in BB
    Did anyone use fullcontact.com

Is there one single way to use only 1 set of contacts everywhere??
    02-13-14 05:32 AM