My buddy (life long BlackBerry guy) was all set to get a Z10 yesterday and he came home with a S4. What happened I asked?

The phone rep basically convinced him that an S4 was far better for apps, power and screen. Said the BlackBerry was not selling and it was better to get a phone with more of a future. He also showed him that all the staff has S4 and all loved it.

Gutted!

This is what BlackBerry is facing even with loyal owners. Store staff are pushing customers away!

Posted via CB10
    DoktorFace likes this.
    08-21-13 07:38 AM
    Well the rep didn't really lie. He just said what he knew and who can blame him. I bought the Q10 the day it was released here in the US and nearly went for the S4 as well.

It's a great phone out of the box while we are still waiting for BlackBerry updates.

Posted via CB10 on a kick *** Q10
    08-21-13 07:42 AM
    The staff may be pushing people away, but for apps. he's 100% correct, battery life, almost certainly correct. Screen is debatable, but there's little in it. As much as the BB10 OS is, IMO, the best out there, he's unlikely to recommend it when the vast majority of buyers want apps that you don't have to side-load, and a phone that their friends have got. BB missed the boat ages ago.
    08-21-13 07:43 AM
    Just wish he at least have the decency to talk him into HTC one if anything - Still find samsung so soft plasticine yack
    08-21-13 07:46 AM
    Your friend apparently wasn't enough of a BlackBerry fan if he was swayed so easily. In fact, IMO, he seems to fall under the category of "Lemming".
    08-21-13 07:46 AM
    Fan or not, sometimes when you're unsure of something you listen to experts. And that's what he did. Reps might not be experts but they are the ones selling the phones so they are supposed to be

Posted via CB10
    St_Deborah likes this.
    08-21-13 07:50 AM
    Well the rep didn't really lie. He just said what he knew and who can blame him. I bought the Q10 the day it was released here in the US and nearly went for the S4 as well.

It's a great phone out of the box while we are still waiting for BlackBerry updates.

I would agree BlackBerry has some growing pains but he didn't even show him a Z10, an iPhone or anything else. Almost like Samsung is what you need to buy. He went in asking for a Z10 specifically.

It's frustrating. I have seen 3 friends in the last month leave BlackBerry. I was hoping they would all get Z10s. I did get one guy in the office to upgrade. Tuff slug for BlackBerry for sure.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 07:54 AM
    I said it right when the Z came out that the average phone user would have a very difficult time side-loading and still very believe it. Finally with 10.2 I love my Z10 now, but would never recommend to someone who wants apps. Just trying to explain it would be enough to turn someone away. Don't get me wrong, I love it and sideloading is easy, but I totally get how someone would walk away from it at the store. It's a shame for sure.
    08-21-13 07:57 AM
    Just wish he at least have the decency to talk him into HTC one if anything - Still find samsung so soft plasticine yack
    Samsung pays more commission per device sold and also provides an incentive to store owners for pushing their own devices instead of those from other manufacturers. And as most people, store owners readily sell their soul to the devil.
    08-21-13 07:57 AM
    My buddy (life long BlackBerry guy) was all set to get a Z10 yesterday and he came home with a S4. What happened I asked?

The phone rep basically convinced him that an S4 was far better for apps, power and screen. Said the BlackBerry was not selling and it was better to get a phone with more of a future. He also showed him that all the staff has S4 and all loved it.

Gutted!

This is what BlackBerry is facing even with loyal owners. Store staff are pushing customers away!

Posted via CB10
    True to an extent, but your buddy is a sucker for not making his own decision even if he wanted a two-way pager. It is either iPhone or Samsung these carrier sales reps are pushing. Rarely will you even find them encouraging someone to try an HTC device like the "One" which is a very nice Android device. If he had went in with his mind made up and had some experience with the Z10 prior to making a purchase; than unless the S4 had something that was absolutely more important over the Z10, he should of walked out with a BlackBerry.
    LP_Rigg and croman like this.
    08-21-13 08:04 AM
    And as most people, store owners readily sell their soul to the devil.
    Good point, altho' making the best living you can by flogging the best deals for your company isn't really selling your soul to the devil.
    08-21-13 08:10 AM
    Send me to the rep so can slap his stupid face.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 08:24 AM
    Send me to the rep so can slap his stupid face.

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    08-21-13 08:28 AM
    Your friend apparently wasn't enough of a BlackBerry fan if he was swayed so easily. In fact, IMO, he seems to fall under the category of "Lemming".
    I know I shouldn't ask, but what would a, uh, true BB fan (in your estimation) have done here?
    08-21-13 08:32 AM
    I know I shouldn't ask, but what would a, true BB fan (in your estimation) have done here?
    I'm assuming he would grab a pitchfork and a torch and scream obscenities, bite, and scratch his way to a BlackBerry device.

Last edited by Michael Stewart; 08-21-13 at 10:08 AM.
    08-21-13 08:33 AM
    And the Z10 I guess is made of steel and gorilla glass?
    08-21-13 08:43 AM
    Android beats BB10 in the app section, nothing else!
    NinjaB likes this.
    08-21-13 08:48 AM
    Samsung pays more commission per device sold and also provides an incentive to store owners for pushing their own devices instead of those from other manufacturers. And as most people, store owners readily sell their soul to the devil.
    I get what you're saying but let's use Sprint as an example...when the rep sells a phone, its a spiff. That's it. Its the same spiff if they sell blackberry or android....the rep gets the same amount of money. If the reps were educated on the usefullness of having a blackberry, they in turn would educate the consumers.
    Coach57 likes this.
    08-21-13 08:48 AM
    I have seen this kind of thing first hand at Best Buy. On a return visit noticed one of the staff had a Z10, we talked and he loved it, but behind him rest of staff were shaking thier heads. Wish there was something we could do about this kind of thing

Gutted!

Posted via CB10
    Canadaace likes this.
    08-21-13 08:49 AM

Gutted!

Posted via CB10
    There's nothing the sales rep said that was not true.
    world saviour and scorpiodsu like this.
    08-21-13 08:50 AM
    I know I shouldn't ask, but what would a, uh, true BB fan (in your estimation) have done here?
    Problem is he is not knowledgeable and was easily talked out of it. I bought mine on-line a straight upgrade, no sales discussion. I was never not going to buy a Z10. Sadly not everyone is sure and sales people can talk customers into whatever they want.

There is a buzz around Samsung and IPhone. BlackBerry needs some buzz.

Posted via CB10
    brout and moody like this.
    08-21-13 08:51 AM
    Android beats BB10 in the app section, nothing else!
    Just as a primate is more efficient than a kangaroo ONLY because of the opposable thumbs.
    08-21-13 08:56 AM

Gutted!

Posted via CB10
    Please point out one misleading item he said?

Truth hurts from time to time.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 08:57 AM
    Problem is he is not knowledgeable and was easily talked out of it. I bought mine on-line a straight upgrade, no sales discussion. I was never not going to buy a Z10. Sadly not everyone is sure and sales people can talk customers into whatever they want.

There is a buzz around Samsung and IPhone. BlackBerry needs some buzz.

Posted via CB10
    Is he happy with the device? Because that's all that really matters. If he is, the salesperson did his/her job.

Another point... all things being equal, I believe salespeople sell devices they themselves like and are happy with.
    21stNow, bp3dots and scorpiodsu like this.
    08-21-13 08:59 AM
    I get what you're saying but let's use Sprint as an example...when the rep sells a phone, its a spiff. That's it. Its the same spiff if they sell blackberry or android....the rep gets the same amount of money. If the reps were educated on the usefullness of having a blackberry, they in turn would educate the consumers.
    A friend of mine who has sold phones for something like a decade has told me on numerous occasions that certain phones will make you more on commission. This apparently changes based on what brand and what phone all the time and the rest have a basic commission. He has also told me that Samsung has always been at the top of that list with extra incentives and prizes. However all companies do this. Him and a friend recently went for a 4 day vacation his friend won from a BlackBerry sales contest.

In the end though it doesn't account for much because in reality they make more money from selling the plan then from selling the phone. As in more commission from someone buying a phone and signing a contract than someone buying a phone off contract. This should mean a salesperson should just get the person what they want. They would need another reason entirely to talk someone out of a particular phone like sales incentives or just personal preference for a brand. That's the way I see it. It's just extra work talking someone out of a phone they want.
    08-21-13 09:00 AM
226 123 ...