I've had my z10 for 2 days now and I'm kinda on the fence about keeping it. I went from a Note2 to this. I like the Hub and size. I'm not to big on lack of a few apps without having to side load. And my battery doesn't make it through half the day. Do you think I should give it a few more days or just go back to a familiar device?

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 10:14 AM
    There's nothing to lose by giving it a few more days. Battery life should improve, although I don't know why it's so poor to begin with. Mine has never been that bad.

More to the point, you just have to think about those missing apps and how high a priority they are. If you're likely to get more and more frustrated by not having them, you might as well cut your losses and go back to Android now.

It's all about self-knowledge. I knew I'd be giving up Audible in coming to the Z10. I didn't like doing that, but since Audible says an app is coming, I'm willing to wait. But there are plenty of other apps that either aren't coming or no one knows. If the ones you want are in that group, you just have to be as honest with yourself as possible about whether you're content to do without them. In addition, there is rumor that BlackBerry will block sideloading soon, although as far as I know that's still unconfirmed.
    04-17-13 10:21 AM
    Many of us took about a week before we really started to appreciate just how great this phone is. By then you start to understand the so called app-gap is not as bad as some say. The battery life improves as you learn how to save power and get updates. The keyboard experience begins to wow you with how smart it is.

If it is missing apps that you just MUST have, you have no choice. But you should have known that before you got it. Otherwise, I would encourage you to give it at least 7 days.
    04-17-13 10:22 AM
    I think you need more time than a couple of days.

The battery will get a lot better in a couple of weeks.... For some reason it takes time to reach it's potential. I have no trouble getting in a 16 hour day with medium to heavy use.

Apps are another thing and it depends which ones you miss. Some are coming, some can be replaced by another, some can be sideloaded. (I personally don't have anything sideloaded.)

Many apps are being added every day but if it comes down to you absolutely having to have a certain app right now, then you will have to decide.
    04-17-13 10:28 AM
    I guess I was so hooked on social media that I used my Note for everything but a phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 10:30 AM
    I've had my z10 for 2 days now and I'm kinda on the fence about keeping it. I went from a Note2 to this. I like the Hub and size. I'm not to big on lack of a few apps without having to side load. And my battery doesn't make it through half the day. Do you think I should give it a few more days or just go back to a familiar device?

Posted via CB10
    Depending on your carrier, don't you have 14 days or so to return it? Why make a rash decision? Give it a little more time and then, if it's not for you, return it and go back to your note.
    04-17-13 10:32 AM
    I traded my Note for my Z 10 so there's no return period.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 10:37 AM
    My good friend came from a Note2 to Z10... He had buyers remorse for the first day or two as well but I think as he used the phone over the first week it grew on him. We used to sit side by side comparing the two and there wasn't anything too special one had over the other. He's had the Z10 for 4 weeks now and I haven't heard anything negative in the last 3.

Slow motion recording on note2 vs Z10 camera came up a lot but I can show you pics that the note was better in some pics and others with lighting where the Z10 was better

The apps is gimmicky. Of all my friends who have iphone and androids, very few of them use any apps daily. We look at news and a few other things but would you really pass up Z10 because it doesn't have instagram yet? A couple years ago it wasn't even around. Don't look at the past as the apps your using now won't be the apps your using in a year. They come and go so fast that it shouldn't be an issue.

The mobile game is changing so fast that if your constantly comparing your gonna be pretty unhappy with anything. But as many of us have found that the benefits of the Z10 without a huge app store yet still outweigh the competition with a huge ecosystem.

In the end blackberry won't disappoint you, there will be some very nice updates coming.

Btw, lots of talk of a 5" Blackberry phablet coming later this year. May be worth holding out for. It'll have a huge battery and stylus as well if they do it right.
    KemKev and laketrout73 like this.
    04-17-13 10:42 AM
    It(battery life) gets better.....at least for me.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 10:46 AM
    I guess I was so hooked on social media that I used my Note for everything but a phone.

Posted via CB10
    Only half day before the battery runs out is not good. How are you using your device? Constantly of just average use? Your battery may get better but if you are only getting half a day it will not all of a sudden get a full day. You are either using it one heck of a lot of there is a problem. Give it a few more days, that should be enough time to decide. I was a long time BB user and tried the Z10 but went back to my iPhone 5. The Z10 was just not ready in my opinion but I know they are working on it. Reminds me of their Playbook which was not ready either!

Anyway, good luck!
    04-17-13 10:49 AM
    I think you're right. There's some buyers traders remorse. It's a shame that social media has some of us so hooked like this. I remember my first berry and how much I loved it. It was the 72xx. No apps and yet I clicked away like crazy.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 10:49 AM
    Concerning battery life...if your LTE coverage is spotty you might try setting your Z10 back to H+. I know many people object to having to turn off "features" to conserve battery power. But if your phone is having to jump back and forth between LTE and H+ a lot, it may just not be worth it. For most things, other than heavy web browsing and navigation, you won't need the LTE speed anyway.
    04-17-13 10:53 AM
    Depending on how anal you are about having apps on your phone. As you use the Z10, its features will greatly outweigh the lack of apps.
    There may be some issues with the phone but they'll be rectified soon enough.

Posted via CB with my BB10 Z10
    04-17-13 10:56 AM
    return it

it is going to come down to the apps, and blackberry can not support what we want because the app creators don’t find it necessary to waste their time catering to only 5% of the market when they can be making apps for android and OS
    04-17-13 10:59 AM
    We all soil ourselves when we make the transition from one OS to another. In the end the ONLY thing I miss about my previous phone -- a Motorola Defy -- is that it's so small and water proof. However, I kept it. The Z10 clobbers it in every other way. But if T-Mo doesn't get wifi-calling on the Z10 before I next go to Europe, I'll take the Defy.
    04-17-13 11:03 AM
    It's true when you have a phone that lacks built-in capabilities, apps are important. With a BlackBerry, not so much.
    04-17-13 11:04 AM
    It's true when you have a phone that lacks built-in capabilities, apps are important. With a BlackBerry, not so much.
    Yeah, when I got the G1, nothing worked -- nothing. I had to pile on the apps to make it a basic, functioning phone. But it had so little memory, then the POS would barely run. Even with my last Android, I still had to heap on the apps, but at least it had more memory.
    04-17-13 11:15 AM
    Well that's the beauty of choice and a good return policy. Lol.

Good on you for trying it out. No one can fault you for returning it if you feel it's not meeting your personal needs.

Way too many people kick tires and take the Z10 around the block once before making an ill informed decision. Give the Z10 a nice long test drive. You might be surprised.

Good luck in your choice.
    04-17-13 11:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    Ahh, well then, no hurry. I would give it a few weeks or so to get a good idea as to whether you are going to like it.
    04-17-13 11:50 AM
    I think you're right. There's some buyers traders remorse. It's a shame that social media has some of us so hooked like this. I remember my first berry and how much I loved it. It was the 72xx. No apps and yet I clicked away like crazy.
    Posted via CB10
    My $0.02, since you traded the Note anyway. Give it at least a week. The battery is stupid the first few days, and you need a week to get your head around the differences from Android to BB10. In a few weeks the OS will be updated to 10.1, and the apps continue to accumulate in BB World.

If you continue to experience battery drain issues there are a number of things you can try to improve its life. A big one is turning off "Allow Gestures When Locked", many users have reported a noticeable increase in phone life (the downside is you don't get to do the Swipe up to wake, you have to use the power button). And 10.1 reportedly will feature more battery improvements. Good luck.
    04-17-13 12:15 PM
    return it

it is going to come down to the apps, and blackberry can not support what we want because the app creators don�t find it necessary to waste their time catering to only 5% of the market when they can be making apps for android and OS
    Why are you even here? Your posting history shows that you hate the Z10 and BB. I think someone needs to get a life.
    ErinnM and brout like this.
    04-17-13 12:25 PM
    If you use it for apps, they simply aren't ready. Now if you carry around 3 phones, the Z will fill some of your needs and you have the others for your apps. I can't believe we're down to carrying multiple phones or that anyone admits to that while spreading accolades on the Z, at least not in 2013.

People actually carry an IPhone, Samsung, and Z?! These people must work for tech companies, maybe Apple, BB, or Google....and have a lot of time on their hands. Actually I must disclose that I'm carrying a Z and 2 other BB's. But "none of them work for certain apps absolutely necessary for efficient intl travel and business,"...he said as electronically stranded for nearly a month halfway around the world. ...Whew and I resisted IPhones and a Samsung as a staunch BB loyalist. (Also I admit to having a Droid tablet but not phone.)

Understand that missing one app for social network trolling might be doable, but in business it could easily cost big money...even their job. Are these apps in the end always needed, it is not whether they are really needed all the time but that competition forces an expectation that certain apps and phone functions exist...or you may be left out of the ballgame. These costs are sometimes easy to measure and sometimes oppty costs, but they are real.

We should be past the oohs and ahhhs of new technology. (Of course the Z is the best smart phone you've owned if you've only prior owned BB's.) Still, private sector business requires a few apps that BB is NOT currently providing and that costs money period. Some of the multiple phone carriers, and curious techies, can play wait and see, but the base of BlackBerry loyalists (even as mostly gone) that look to the Z as a replacement tool (not toy) are not amused. Further, the base of new phone buyers that may also look to a handheld device more as a tool, simply go elsewhere or, if having already procured a Z, either exchange or inventory them for aesthetic discussion or mention in a blog along side their "portfolio" of other phones.

Let's get beyond the old BlackBerry mentality for the sake of BB's very LT survival, if not for the general marketing and/or overall functionality of the OS10 based phones.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 12:53 PM
    My Z10 battery life has improved over time; the last software update made a big difference. But don't expect anywhere near what you go on your Note II. I used to have a Note II as well, and the battery life was crazy. I mean, I used it constantly for days and still couldn't kill it.

But you should get at least a day out of your Z10 with moderate use. Just charge it up over night and you should be fine.

As far as the app selection goes, that's a little harder to get used to. I've kind of fallen in love with the Z10 purely because of BlackBerry 10 -- I really like it, and having used Android and iOS a lot, it's a really nice change.

However, I do find the lack of apps a problem at times. For most things you'll find workaround, maybe using a web app for example, or side loading an Android app. But for other things, you just have to go without.

I'm really missing Spotify, for example, but I'm thinking about switching to Deezer which is available on BlackBerry 10. I also miss a good AdSense client, the PlayStation app, and a few other things.

As someone above said, you just need to work out whether you can live without the apps that aren't available yet. If you can, BlackBerry 10 is certainly worth it.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 12:59 PM
    However, I do find the lack of apps a problem at times. For most things you'll find workaround, maybe using a web app for example, or side loading an Android app. But for other things, you just have to go without.
    Hopefully, this will continue to improve in the coming months. I think the spotty Apps situation is a combination of (A) Developers being reluctant to initially commit to BB10 and (B) a bit of "App Politics" from some of the bigger app developers. Given the first quarterly report for BB10, they seem to have enough traction to last as a viable alternative to Apple and Google. So I expect that the bigger name devs will come on board, in better numbers than have been witnessed with WP8. We'll know for sure in six months. Personally, I'm optimistic, and think that BB has hit with Blackberry 10 and that all of this will be moot soon enough.
    04-17-13 01:33 PM
    My battery life was also 5-6 hours those first few days because I was using it so much! With the Z10 you get about 5-6 hours of screen time. Once you start using the phone "Normally", you'll find that that battery life is actually amazing. I always get a full day of solid real world use even on LTE with relatively good signal. On 3G, battery is way better!
    04-17-13 01:34 PM
30 12