I've done a lot of research of the threads on here the last few days on which Blackberry device to upgrade to. I'm still using the Bold 9650 that I've had for about 5 years now. It's a solid device, just a little slow anymore and I'm ready for a change. I love my keyboard but I think I'm pretty much in love with the look of the Z10. My biggest question is have any of the bugs/issues with the Z10 been worked out/fixed since it was launched last year? I see so many threads about battery life issues, inability to receive calls, and issues with the hub. Anything better about it now? I've read great things about the Z30 but I'm not in love with the idea of using a phablet, it's just too much. I love that my Bold 9650 fits easily in my back pocket so I can throw on a pair of headphones with it and rock my tunes on my motorcycle without worrying it's going to fall out. I got to hold a dummy Z10 at a Verizon store yesterday and it feels okay in my hand, a little longer so I don't know if I'd have the same size convenience for rides or just walking down the street. I'm happy to read that there are quite a few ways to load Android apps on BB 10 devices, though it seems like not all of them work correctly and there is a risk of phone damage being assumed when sideloading Android apps.

I'm a dedicated Blackberry user since 2008....need a little convincing on which way to go from here from this trusty forum!
    08-22-14 07:44 AM
    Glad you've done some research. However, the Z30 is not phablet sized. It's slightly larger than the Z10 and has so many more benefits. It's a one-handed phone for a woman...I use it with no problems. And it's solid and the battery life is killer. Much better than my Z10.

Ask around and see what people say
    08-22-14 07:58 AM
    Hardware wise I think the battery size is the only issue. I've never experienced any call or hub issues (other than when testing a little too early LEAKED OS). It is a great device for the price!

No need to sideload any apps other than SNAP.... you can use the Amazon App store (pre-installed if you get the latest 10.3 leak) or use SNAP to access Google Play. No not all Android App will work... but a big percentage does (at least for now).

I moved from a 9650 and had no problems adjusting to the virtual keyboard, but if after five years you can wait a few more months the Classic might be more to your liking if you want a real BlackBerry Keyboard.

If you want your next phone to last another five years....
    08-22-14 08:02 AM
    The z10.is amazing! You won't go wrong, there might be battery issues if you installed a leaked IS etc but otherwise it's an amazing device! Get it, you can't go wrong!

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 08:08 AM
    Don't like the battery. Get Z30.
    eduzojordan likes this.
    08-22-14 08:16 AM
    Long story short.
    It's a perfectly fine device. I myself came from Android world after 4 years of hanging with droid devices. Maybe there were some issues in earlier part of Z10 life, with newborn OS and lack of apps, but now, it's a rock solid device.
    The only thing you can call issue, or drawback, is that famous battery life, as well as battery percentage misreading, but it is not that terrible issue. Everything else (at least for me), is working butter-smooth on this device. Browser is amazingly fast. Communication as a whole is feeling just right and convinient and smartly worked out. To me, definitely step ahead Android in that regards. Also, the whole OS feels very smooth and un-hiccupy compared to some other platforms. And the thing I love, is keyboard. What else to say... There are enough apps for anything you need. And yeah, call quality is top notch. In-calls are perfectly audible and clear and loud, and the persons on other side will hear you out perfectly too.
    Go for it...
    Alvin Loh likes this.
    08-22-14 08:21 AM
    I got the BlackBerry Z30 three weeks ago and I would definitely recommend it. The battery life is amazing. I have 12+ hour days and the battery lasts the entire day and then some. It is not as big as it sounds, it feels nice in the hand, and the rounded edges make it comfortable to hold.

Out of curiosity why do you want the BlackBerry Z10? Is it for the smaller size?

P.S.
    A phablet would be a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 which has a 5.7" display and is 151.2 mm x 79.2 mm x 8.3 mm. Or the Sony Xperia Z Ultra which has a 6.4" display and is 179.4 mm x 92.2 mm x 6.5 mm. In comparison the BlackBerry Z30 has a 5.0" display and is 140.7 mm x 72 mm x 9.4 mm.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 08:25 AM
    I'm looking at the Z10 mostly for it's smaller size. Consider that I've been carrying a pocket-sized phone since 2008 when I got my first Blackberry Curve, I don't want something that feels big and clunky in my hand after that much time and being able to handle the smaller phones one-handed when needed. While I love what I've been reading about the Z30 performance over the Z10, I don't want something that feels like an anchor to me. I love that I can stuff my 9650 in my back pocket and it doesn't even peek out. The Z10 would poke out just a little bit. Size aside, I don't use it too much during my work day since I'm on my computer AND I have a work Bold 9930 (no camera, no permissions to install much since it's a government phone). So battery life may not be an issue when I'm at work, but when I'm out and about on the weekends, when I want to load up my device with my tunes to throw on my headphones and go for a long ride, that's when I would worry about battery life. I don't run a lot of apps, I'm not big on games.....just love to be able to get my emails as soon as they come in and respond to them, clear phone calls, text messages, Facebook, and just a handful of other apps.

On another note, I'm also with Sprint which doesn't offer a great selection of Blackberry devices (only have the Q10 and 9930) and their coverage isn't that great either. I had to get an AirRave to boost the signal in my own home just for phone calls. I got on board with them when I was stationed in Louisiana only because Verizon was crap for coverage in that area at that time and only AT&T and Sprint were reliable carriers there. I hated AT&T's customer service so opted for Sprint. But I do like that I'm still on an unlimited talk/text/AND data plan that no one seems to offer anymore. Not that I use a whole lot of data anyways but I also don't relish the idea of paying based on anticipated usage.

I think I could wait, but I see that Blackberry is having a 30% off sale on unlocked Z10s and Q10s through the end of this month. It would be nice to have an unlocked device I could use overseas if my work ever sent me there instead of the headache of a branded phone from the U.S. (One thing I loved about living in Europe was the freedom to put any phone on any carrier freely! Just insert their purchased SIM card!)

So still thinking thinking thinking. Thanks for the replies so far! I would love to go to a Blackberry store and pick up and play with these devices, but I don't see them outside of major airports. Anyone know if there is one in the DC area that I don't have to go through airport security to access?
    08-22-14 08:57 AM
    Yeah, the Z10 is good, as far as battery life is concerned it depends how often you play. I've had mine last three days with half a dozen short calls a day and checking and dealing with messages a dozen times a day but then I'm an old fart with no social life. When I first got it I could run it flat in half a day (Setting up, loading, browsing, playing etc.) I certainly wouldn't risk putting it in a back pocket. I use a belt holster many times as I can find it uncomfortable in a pocket. You know, it digs in. The size of the phone has caused the biggest adjustment that I've had to make.
    If radio is your thing remember the Z10 is not capable of FM reception. The Z30 is.
    Never had any issues with the hub or calls and it's been a very stable OS for me.
    08-22-14 09:09 AM
    Z10 is legend
    But get a Z30...
    It is better than Z10

Zed 10 --� The BEAST
    08-22-14 09:20 AM
    Had the Z10 for over a year and it's a great phone. The only downside is the battery. Albeit it does have the option to swap out the battery I decided to go with the Z30.

I just got it this past Monday and so far so good. The battery life on the Z30 blows the Z10 out the water and the Z30 seems to be a faster operating overall.

Posted via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    08-22-14 09:23 AM
    Just get a Z30. I just bought yesterday. I'll keep the z10 for a back up or give it away.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 09:23 AM
    It's a great device, value for money. Just make sure you don't buy STL100-1.
    08-22-14 09:52 AM
    Your post makes it sound like you want to stay with Sprint. If that's the case, what is your actual question since Sprint would not allow you to bring an outside device onto their network? This rules out buying an unlocked Z10 directly from BlackBerry.
    08-22-14 09:54 AM
    Your post makes it sound like you want to stay with Sprint. If that's the case, what is your actual question since Sprint would not allow you to bring an outside device onto their network? This rules out buying an unlocked Z10 directly from BlackBerry.
    Sprint is CDMA not GSM.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 10:01 AM
    Not going to stay with Sprint, hate giving up the unlimited data and everything for the reasonable price. But I want to have more options available to me when I want to upgrade to something I want. My husband is with Verizon so I'm going to port my number over to them, though I still want to buy an unlocked phone through Blackberry. Not a big fan of contracts.
    08-22-14 10:54 AM
    Too bad you don't like contracts. Z10 free from Verizon, Z30 only $99.99! Both are great phone, though Z10 should have shipped with better battery.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 10:59 AM
    Last I checked, unlocked phones direct from BlackBerry were all GSM, no CDMA.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 11:00 AM
    Not going to stay with Sprint, hate giving up the unlimited data and everything for the reasonable price. But I want to have more options available to me when I want to upgrade to something I want. My husband is with Verizon so I'm going to port my number over to them, though I still want to buy an unlocked phone through Blackberry. Not a big fan of contracts.
    If you don't want a contract, you might want to buy a Verizon Z10 from someone here on CrackBerry. The only way you will find out if the Z10 is right for you is to actually use one.
    08-22-14 11:22 AM
    I have had the 10 and the 30.
    No comparison, the 30 blows it away in every aspect for me.

Z30 user and lover.
    08-22-14 11:29 AM
    If you can afford the little extra for the Z30 its a no brainer.
    this phone is a beast
    08-22-14 11:37 AM
    Hardware wise I think the battery size is the only issue. I've never experienced any call or hub issues (other than when testing a little too early LEAKED OS). It is a great device for the price!

No need to sideload any apps other than SNAP.... you can use the Amazon App store (pre-installed if you get the latest 10.3 leak) or use SNAP to access Google Play. No not all Android App will work... but a big percentage does (at least for now).

I moved from a 9650 and had no problems adjusting to the virtual keyboard, but if after five years you can wait a few more months the Classic might be more to your liking if you want a real BlackBerry Keyboard.

If you want your next phone to last another five years....
    This, I always like your answers, yes wait for the classic is the best choice if budget is not his or her concern.
    08-22-14 12:31 PM
    Great phone, but weak battery life. I haven't used the z30 but I have heard only good things regarding that. I came from the storm 9530 so I was used to only having to charge every 2-3 days, so upgrading to the z10 having to charge before a 24hr span is quite annoying at times. Other than that, it's a great phone.

I got the z10 because I was able to get my hands on a brand new unlocked one for $200CAD. Will be upgrading to z30 in the future solely for battery life.
    08-22-14 01:39 PM
    I bought the z10 a year and a half ago. Upgraded from a Bold. Went through all the OS growing pains...battery drains, etc. Now running standard TMO 10.2.1.2156 OS. Works great, acceptable battery life (YMMV) for me. Excellent experience. Right now I see no reason to change...thinking about buying a second z10 just in case! Would not want to tread off into Android or OS7...wife has android and I have ipad...both are less than satisfactory in my book. Love my Z10!

"Dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    08-22-14 02:14 PM
    Consider that I've been carrying a pocket-sized phone since 2008 when I got my first Blackberry Curve, I don't want something that feels big and clunky in my hand after that much time and being able to handle the smaller phones one-handed when needed.
    I carry my Z30 on my pocket. You can google images comparing Z10 and Z30, no big difference in size.
    At least you have some kind of work that force you to have most of the time only one hand free, don't see
    why not use both hands. It really amaze me people talking about one-hand-use on their devices, 3 out of
    10 times probably people will use one hand to write.
    08-22-14 02:29 PM
56 123