Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By InWithTheNew
  • 1 Post By Cntdwn
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Factory Unlocked L Series?

Does anyone have any idea if rim will have a factory unlocked model at or soon after BB10's launch, i'm only concerned about the os updates i'm not a fan of awaiting carrier approval
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

they should sell those directly on their website or at a BlackBerry store.
    EsJayDee likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

I'm hoping for this as well. Ideally the huge demand for the Nexus 4 has given RIM the idea that selling direct to consumers is worth it.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

i hope they do, i'm just a bit worried about the price, i would also hope to see an accurate leak about that sometime this month, i really hope it doesnt come to that but if the price is too high i may have to seek an alternative. bb10 os seems like the best of the ones currently available, i guess...only time will tell
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask/PM me

Highly unlikely when RIM boasts about doing carrier testing.

Price will likely not be cheap, considering RIM needs early adopters to gouge first. This will be considered higher-end, latest, newest, more feature-packed than the aging OS7.

Pricing will likely be the same as they did with the 9900.

Just my opinion, but it's a conservative one based on historical information.
    Nokia 5100 > Nokia 3390 > Motorola T720i > Siemens M55 > Sony Ericsson k700i > Nokia N73 > BB Pearl 8110 > BB 9000 > BB 9700 > BB 9900
    PB 16GB
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

A little birdie told me yesterday (after I played 10 minutes with the final hardware device....*drool*) that all phones will be unlocked.
    bluetroll likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Cntdwn View Post
    A little birdie told me yesterday (after I played 10 minutes with the final hardware device....*drool*) that all phones will be unlocked.
    Odds are that statement is only true on a carrier by carrier basis as there are some that would never agree to that.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    Odds are that statement is only true on a carrier by carrier basis as there are some that would never agree to that.
    That is possible, just relaying what I was directly told from a National Account Manager at RIM. Now, this is up in Canada...so it could be different for others.
    I was dumbfounded at the statement and asked him to repeat it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Is that usual for Canadian carriers, I know it is the case for some of the ones in Europe (even legally required in France iirc) but for the likes of AT&T it would seem to be very unlikely as they hate that kind of thing and even Apple who they bend over backwards to appease have to toe the line on sim-locking.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    Is that usual for Canadian carriers, I know it is the case for some of the ones in Europe (even legally required in France iirc) but for the likes of AT&T it would seem to be very unlikely as they hate that kind of thing and even Apple who they bend over backwards to appease have to toe the line on sim-locking.
    No, it's definitely not the norm in Canada.
    CrackBerry User

Factory unlocked L series is available now. Cheers
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stychill View Post
    Does anyone have any idea if rim will have a factory unlocked model at or soon after BB10's launch, i'm only concerned about the os updates i'm not a fan of awaiting carrier approval
    It sounds like you are asking if RIM will make a Nexus device.

I've also thought about this and it scares the crap out of me. I almost never use the official os as released by the carrier. I download leaks or a OS from a different carrier. Shrink it and install it. The idea of waiting for the carrier to release a update is dreadful. But BlackBerry 10 will completely remove all of our old options. There won't be any more hybrids, shrink an OS or leaks. We will be worst off then Android users. At least they do have the option to root and flash Roms. BB10 users will completely be at the mercy of the carriers. Which is a very scary idea.

I hope RIM makes a BlackBerry 10 Nexus knock off. But I doubt it happens.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask/PM me

RIM should capitalize on the results of the Nexus device, and offer it unlocked especially if it is going to be pentaband. This is just wishful thinking, and considering RIM's experience of a nightmare distributing the PlayBook during its firesale... I just don't think RIM could handle it. Google couldn't.

Highly doubtful since Thorsten said many devices will be released. I have a feeling he probably meant the L, N, and possibly the Aristo eventually in different bands.
    Nokia 5100 > Nokia 3390 > Motorola T720i > Siemens M55 > Sony Ericsson k700i > Nokia N73 > BB Pearl 8110 > BB 9000 > BB 9700 > BB 9900
    PB 16GB
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    742 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    We will be worst off then Android users. At least they do have the option to root and flash Roms. BB10 users will completely be at the mercy of the carriers. Which is a very scary idea.
    RIM has stated that it will not be up to the carriers for updates. BB10 updates will be deployed like they are on the playbook. Right from RIM's servers. Lets hope this still holds true after release.
    Thanked by:
    Stychill (12-15-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts

Default Re: Factory Unlocked L Series?

Quote Originally Posted by FunktasticLucky View Post
    RIM has stated that it will not be up to the carriers for updates. BB10 updates will be deployed like they are on the playbook. Right from RIM's servers. Lets hope this still holds true after release.
    Thats what I thought, they are using the Apple model for their updated bb10 and going forward. I pretty sure thats what rim stated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

i wasn't sure if i was just a daydream or i actually read that somewhere, but now it seems like i wasn't the only one that saw that. If that is the case then i would be happy with that, i have always liked the apple and google (stock android) way of deploying updates. That's exactly as it should be, carriers always seem to take forever to give the green light on updates
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Stychill View Post
    See brightpoint at Singapore. You will get factory unlocked Bb10. Since it provides for Indonesia market. And in our country, all handheld must be factory unlock.
    sent from anywhere
    @isatbb@isatbbplg
    #mybb10
    #BB10Believe
    Blog: bb10believe.blogspot.com

HONK! IF YOU WANT BLACKBERRY 10

9380, Black and White Z10, LG Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 520
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Syrous44 View Post
    Thats what I thought, they are using the Apple model for their updated bb10 and going forward. I pretty sure thats what rim stated.

You mean the Apple model where the updates are still tested by the carriers and only released after they have been approved? If so than yeah we will be at the mercy of the carriers.

Do you think Apple updates aren't tested? They update everyone at the same time, but the updates are still tested. I know this for a fact because I know Verizon Wireless has a dedicated team of people that tests iOS updates. RIM can talk a big game, but I'll believe BB10 gets updates directly from RIM when I see it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    You mean the Apple model where the updates are still tested by the carriers and only released after they have been approved? If so than yeah we will be at the mercy of the carriers.

Do you think Apple updates aren't tested? They update everyone at the same time, but the updates are still tested. I know this for a fact because I know Verizon Wireless has a dedicated team of people that tests iOS updates. RIM can talk a big game, but I'll believe BB10 gets updates directly from RIM when I see it.
    Thanks for clarification, never knew apple had ios carrier tested.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

That's all fine but, i meant the google way of doing it, with their nexus 4. I'm not sure of the procedure leading up to os release but the devices are sold from google so shouldn't the updates to the os come straight from google and as soon as their is an update its seeded and pushed to all models promptly. i think it should be an option for rim, selling devices unlocked directly from them. I don't mind the BIS data plan from a carrier i chose what i do mind is having to wait to enjoy improvements to an os while others around me are enjoying it.