Hey friends!

Just wanted to share with you an experiment I did the past few days.

I was cleaning my house including my "treasure" box of old electrical devices, so I stumbled over my old Bold 9790.

It's almost 2 years ago that I have used it and as I picked it up again, I was totally in love again. Battery still was half full when I turned it on. Then I hooked it up to my computer, made a wipe, loaded a fresh and clean OS and put back all my apps I was used to have.

What shall I say, still in the "old" Blackberry world what I needed!

So I decided to use it for a few days.

After getting back used to my old physical keyboard (yeah it took some time to do it) I was full of love again! Sure, I got used to the virtual keyboard (and it's an awesome virtual keyboard!) I never made it to type as fast and secure as I did it with the old physical one. I'm still making more mistakes (but maybe that's just me with my sausage fingers ) then I did it before.

Getting back used to the trackpad worked just charming!

The old OS with the notification bar on top - just great!

And I asked myself: "Why did I jump on OS10?!" Everything worked perfectly!

With that in mind I started my day one:

Day 1:
    I had it most time just in my pocket and just replied to mails and messages.
    Still perfectly happy!
    But I noticed that the battery did not last that long as I was used to - but not that much of a difference and everthing is fine.

Day 2:
    I enjoyed being woken up by the "Auto on/off function" and my favorite radio station via TuneIn (yes, on OS7 it works as a alarm clock) - awesome!

Then I had to check some things on the internet and the was that first "aha-moment" for me! I forgot how much slower the browser was and even some pages were not shown as they should look like - bit frustrating, but ok.

Then I checked Facebook and I totally forgot how much smaller everything was, like one post per screen, which means lots of scrolling.

After doing that stuff, the device got warmer on the backside and I lost about 10% battery in 30mins. or so.

Put it back in my pocket.

Day 3:
    Started with my favorite radio station and and a battery pull - the clock would not stop spinning in the middle of the screen.

Then I had to check some .pdf files, it was a bit of a pain to zoom in and out on that tiny screen (compared to the Z10) and lots of lag while scrolling - annoying.

Then that thing with the internet again, lots slower and some pages look weird (button fields over other and so).

I tried the camera, it's still okay but the one on the Z10 is a lot better - especially when it comes to focus and details.

Back at home my battery died. Sure, the Z10 doesn't have the best battery life of all OS10 devices but it always lasts enough for me! The one on the 9790 is better when you put it on standby - but in combination with internet and other things it's eaten up a lot quicker.

After charging the device I watched some videos on youtube - the screen is oooooook for that, you can see something. But then again: spinning clock. Which meant the second battery pull a day.

So that was enough "nostalgic feeling" for me and I switched back to my Z10.

First thing I noticed again: The crisp, sharp and big screen - awesome!

Then second thing: This device is FAST! No lags and an awesome browser! And it just works!

I put my 9790 back in my treasure box - to that keyboard and trackpad (and some small details of the OS) won't come anything close - but for the rest: I can't switch back to OS7, everything with OS10 is light years ahead!

But still the 9790 (and all the other old Blackberry devices I have) got a special place in my heart. And maybe I gonna make that experiment again - someday.

Greets,

Slash

Posted via CB10
    QXS, FF22, shardulxz and 1 others like this.
    10-16-14 04:47 PM
    Loved your post. I'm using a z10 right now for all my daily deeds, but is still have my Bold 9900 in my desk for when I go out on the shop floor at work and want to have stay in touch but don't want to risk damage to the z10. Still works wonders for what it was made for - messaging, calendar, tasks.

But I'll never go totally back to the old OS7, there is just too much positives on the OS10 to realistically compare the two.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 06:21 PM
    Keep it charged and use it only on wifi!!!!
    10-16-14 07:05 PM
    Sounds like you need a Classic...

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 07:17 PM
    Very interesting post. It is easy to get nostalgic at first.

I am looking forward to the Classic though. Most of the things missing are back. Plus the screen is a lot larger than on the old berries.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 07:56 PM