Why the hell isn't there an equalizer for music settings like there used to be, there should be a digital one if anything at the least common it's 2013!!!!! And the music limit needs to be higher its not loud enough!

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 03:21 AM
    Buy Neutron if you need an EQ. Though its interface is pretty horrible. I prefer the stock player by far. Sure it would benefit from an EQ but I don't need one myself.
    06-02-13 04:49 AM
    Why the hell isn't there an equalizer for music settings like there used to be, there should be a digital one if anything at the least common it's 2013!!!!! And the music limit needs to be higher its not loud enough!

Posted via CB10
    they have done so for reasons only bb knows... i agree there should be an Equalizer and the sound volume limit should be a bit higher... we should get 100% out of our bb device (for basic things) without the need for third party apps... by basic core functions i mean... contacts, calling, music, video, pictures, browsing, emailing, etc...
    06-02-13 05:28 AM
    A decent digital EQ algorithm is very hard to make. In studio software, those plugins often cost hundreds of dollars, and they run on desktop machines with ample CPU & power. Doing something remotely acceptable on a mobile device on battery power is quite tricky, even with advanced DSP chips. That's why EQ's on digital music players always sounds like crap. They often introduce all sorts of distortions or emphasize ones already present in digital audio. And yes, even high bitrate and so-called lossless compression has distortions. It's a fact of life in the digital audio domain.

My advice: invest in some decent headphones or in-ears. They'll give you a much better audio quality without having to resort to EQ. But don't go too loud, or you'll end up with permanent hearing damage that no EQ can ever fix.
    06-02-13 05:54 AM
    A decent digital EQ algorithm is very hard to make. In studio software, those plugins often cost hundreds of dollars, and they run on desktop machines with ample CPU & power. Doing something remotely acceptable on a mobile device on battery power is quite tricky, even with advanced DSP chips. That's why EQ's on digital music players always sounds like crap. They often introduce all sorts of distortions or emphasize ones already present in digital audio. And yes, even high bitrate and so-called lossless compression has distortions. It's a fact of life in the digital audio domain.

My advice: invest in some decent headphones or in-ears. They'll give you a much better audio quality without having to resort to EQ. But don't go too loud, or you'll end up with permanent hearing damage that no EQ can ever fix.
    Yep that's what I found out when trying Neutron. The EQ introduced distortions in the sound and it sounded a bit weird overall to be honest. It raised the noise an awful lot too. I much prefer the sound of the stock player it sounds fine to me. But as you say a pair of quality headphones is to prefer to get the most of it.
    06-02-13 06:00 AM
    Neutron is a bit overpriced for my tastes especially since we can't try it first to see if it will make that much of a difference in sound quality.

Gonna wait for a price reduction down the line before I consider purchasing.

Posted via CB10 (BB Z10 : BLK : OS 10.0)
    06-02-13 06:34 AM
    Actually, I bought Neutron yesterday hoping from a higher sound quality since it can playback at a higher sampling rate than the BB one. It does make a difference if I connect my Z10 to my home stereo (high fidelity kind of system) but it doesn't make much of a difference on headphones. The headphone quality is definitely the main factor, not the player. And generally, I find that equalizers do perform better with speakers in a room than on headphones, unless it's an older recording which may sound too flat for some. Agree with all the comments about volume though.
    06-02-13 07:13 AM

Agreed

#postedwithaZ10 -- Foodie? Check out CBFN: Channel C0004E653
    06-02-13 07:34 AM
    The Neutron EQ will let you push it to the point of clipping, but that just means it's a real EQ. Make sure you have some headroom.

But I agree that there should be a built-in EQ or at least some presets.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 07:49 AM
    My BlackBerry sounds good enough through the earphones and when I connect to my home or car system I can just use the eq on that unit.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 08:45 AM

So the digital EQ software from legacy BlackBerry OS is pretty much crap to mediocre then too, rite? Maybe that's why they didn't bother?

~STV
    06-02-13 09:07 AM