I read a post that recommended setting up email accounts on the Z10 to push only. This would save power by not syncing.

Push seems to work with Gmail but not Yahoo.

Any thoughts on this?

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 03:05 PM
    I read a post that recommended setting up email accounts on the Z10 to push only. This would save power by not syncing.

Push seems to work with Gmail but not Yahoo.
    Yahoo uses a proprietary system that the old Blackberries supported but the Z10 does not. All of the other common smartphone platforms other than Apple (Android, Windows Phone) have the same problem.

Gmail supports push, Outlook.com/Hotmail.com supports push, Fastmail supports push, hundreds, probably thousands of providers, depends on your location and preferences.
    Gray and Bartleby001 like this.
    04-01-13 05:35 PM
    Here's a hint. Whenever you see a post by "Omnitech," don't even bother reading further. He's basically the site genius, so you can take his words for the truth.
    Vijik and Bartleby001 like this.
    04-01-13 05:44 PM
    Here's a hint. Whenever you see a post by "Omnitech," don't even bother reading further. He's basically the site genius, so you can take his words for the truth.
    +1
    04-01-13 08:19 PM
    Well that kills the Z10 interest for me. I use yahoo small business email and if I can't get it when sent the phone is worthless to me. Sad BlackBerry is the only smart phone I've owned and love my Playbook! But, at the end of the day BB has to do what's best for it and I the same.
    04-01-13 08:59 PM
    Well that kills the Z10 interest for me. I use yahoo small business email and if I can't get it when sent the phone is worthless to me. Sad BlackBerry is the only smart phone I've owned and love my Playbook! But, at the end of the day BB has to do what's best for it and I the same.
    Can you read? Its the email provider not the phone!
    04-01-13 09:02 PM
    Can you not read Omni tech said that the older blackberries supported it why not the z10

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 09:06 PM
    Yeah I can read! Can you? I don't care what the cause, if I can't get email when sent as I do on my current BB7 9850, the Z10 can't do what I require. What don't you understand about that?
    h20work likes this.
    04-01-13 09:12 PM
    So why is it you are so quick to jump on one person's problem, which by the way is now looking resolved, as an excuse to proclaim how "worthless" you think the phone now is?

Dying to complain about something today?
    04-01-13 09:13 PM
    No wonder we are all wading through endless flamewar after endless flamewar here. Seems some people just need something to rant about.
    04-01-13 09:14 PM
    So why is it you are so quick to jump on one person's problem, which by the way is now looking resolved, as an excuse to proclaim how "worthless" you think the phone now is?

What the actual phuck, you pointed out something and this person said that killed their interest in it. So it would he better if they didn't read and reply to threads and just buy the phone and return it later?

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 09:15 PM
    No wonder we are all wading through endless flamewar after endless flamewar here. Seems some people just need something to rant about.
    Exactly what you do in every single thread lately. Banned just said not worth reading anymore since you are the genius of the forums, then someone took your advice.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 09:19 PM
    If it is okay with you that you forward your Yahoo mails to a new gmail account, I have an app and a solution that gives you a notification email on your BB10 maximum 1.5 min after you receive an email in your Yahoo account.
    04-01-13 09:21 PM
    Hold on, I just got this thread confused with a different one about Yahoo small business email that I've got open at the same time.

Rewind.

Let's explore what BBitus wrote:

First of all, "Yahoo small business email" is not the same as the "Yahoo Mail" that most people are familiar with.

Secondly, we have this statement about "...if I can't get it when sent the phone is worthless to me."

Hard to determine exactly what s/he was saying there. No email system is going to deliver all email messages messages all the time "without any time delay whatsoever".

Matter of fact, neither is the legacy BIS Blackberry email if we're talking about POP3.

Now if we're talking about the well-known "Yahoo Mail" (Not "Yahoo Mail for Small Business"), Yahoo's proprietary system requires special facilities and probably license-fees to use, something which apparently no one but Apple cares about these days because Blackberry's situation is no different than Android or Windows Phone in that respect.

On those platforms, the only way you can get quick email delivery from "Yahoo Mail" is to use a dedicated Yahoo Mail app.
    04-01-13 09:22 PM

Are you goofy? I was really looking forward to the Z10. I even loved my Storm2, etc. But to learn that BB10 will not support push yahoo email when the previous operating systems did is a huge disappointment. I can't do business with 15 min, gaps in email. What don't you understand about that. Oh I get it if I can't say something nice don't say anything at all. Nonsense.
    04-01-13 09:26 PM
    According to this, Yahoo's "Mail for (Small) Business" doesn't even support IMAP at all.

That suggests that there is no quick email retrieval for that service with ANY non-browser platform. If you don't constantly poll their POP3 servers, you won't get fast email delivery, nor will you ever get "instant" email delivery.
    04-01-13 09:28 PM
    Are you goofy? I was really looking forward to the Z10. I even loved my Storm2, etc. But to learn that BB10 will not support push yahoo email when the previous operating systems did is a huge disappointment. I can't do business with 15 min, gaps in email. What don't you understand about that. Oh I get it if I can't say something nice don't say anything at all. Nonsense.
    That's not what I'm saying. You made a big dramatic sweeping imprecise statement. Be more precise in your words and your message will be more correctly interpreted.

See the post above.

Secondly, the previous system on the Blackberries was not "push" either, for POP-based email systems. Matter of fact, email could be delayed up to 15 minutes with that system as well.

It's not entirely clear to me, based on the Yahoo product page, whether this system supports the "push" system that Blackberries used to use with traditional Yahoo mail.

IF so, then email delivery will be shortly after Yahoo sends it. If not, and it requires POP as suggested in their marketing material, then it could be delayed up to 15 minutes from the time it was sent.
    04-01-13 09:33 PM
    Hold on, I just got this thread confused with a different one about Yahoo small business email that I've got open at the same time.

Rewind.

Let's explore what BBitus wrote:

First of all, "Yahoo small business email" is not the same as the "Yahoo Mail" that most people are familiar with.

Secondly, we have this statement about "...if I can't get it when sent the phone is worthless to me."

Hard to determine exactly what s/he was saying there. No email system is going to deliver all email messages messages all the time "without any time delay whatsoever".

Matter of fact, neither is the legacy BIS Blackberry email if we're talking about POP3.

Now if we're talking about the well-known "Yahoo Mail" (Not "Yahoo Mail for Small Business"), Yahoo's proprietary system requires special facilities and probably license-fees to use, something which apparently no one but Apple cares about these days because Blackberry's situation is no different than Android or Windows Phone in that respect.

On those platforms, the only way you can get quick email delivery from "Yahoo Mail" is to use a dedicated Yahoo Mail app.
    Thank you for this response. I use Yahoo Small Business email and if I will get that as quickly on BB10 as BB7 I will be glad to purchase a Z10!
    04-01-13 09:36 PM
    Thank you for this response. I use Yahoo Small Business email and if I will get that as quickly on BB10 as BB7 I will be glad to purchase a Z10!
    OK, so if you're saying that you currently get email via an older Blackberry "nearly instantaneously" from the Yahoo Small Business Mail, then it's safe to say that the old proprietary Yahoo plugin for BIS email on the old Blackberries still works with that service. So that's useful information.

The bad news is Blackberry no longer supports that on Blackberry 10, just like MOST other smartphone platforms. The only one that does, to my knowledge, is Apple - who has a special arrangement with Yahoo, matter of fact Yahoo appears to have modified their mail servers specifically to do this with Apple alone.

So the choices you have if you want to have quicker email delivery using a Blackberry Z10 include:

1. Forward all your Yahoo email to a provider that supports some sort of "internet push protocol" and then retrieve emails from there or at least get notifications from there,
    2. Use some sort of 3rd-party utility on the Z10 to enhance your email delivery time.
    3. Move your domain to a different provider that supports more commonly used "push" protocols. (easy to do if you own your own domain name)

Vijik is the developer of an app that provides an "app" interface to Gmail if you're willing to have all your Yahoo emails forwarded there, there's another vendor that has an app that can reduce your POP3 polling times on the Z10 from a minimum of every 15 minutes down to as often as every minute. (though it will impact your battery life somewhat)
    a4t likes this.
    04-01-13 09:45 PM
    OK, so if you're saying that you currently get email via an older Blackberry "nearly instantaneously" from the Yahoo Small Business Mail, then it's safe to say that the old proprietary Yahoo plugin for BIS email on the old Blackberries still works with that service. So that's useful information.

The bad news is Blackberry no longer supports that on Blackberry 10, just like MOST other smartphone platforms. The only one that does, to my knowledge, is Apple - who has a special arrangement with Yahoo, matter of fact Yahoo appears to have modified their mail servers specifically to do this with Apple alone.

So the choices you have if you want to have quicker email delivery using a Blackberry Z10 include:

1. Forward all your Yahoo email to a provider that supports some sort of "internet push protocol" and then retrieve emails from there or at least get notifications from there,
    2. Use some sort of 3rd-party utility on the Z10 to enhance your email delivery time.
    3. Move your domain to a different provider that supports more commonly used "push" protocols. (easy to do if you own your own domain name)

Vijik is the developer of an app that provides an "app" interface to Gmail if you're willing to have all your Yahoo emails forwarded there, there's another vendor that has an app that can reduce your POP3 polling times on the Z10 from a minimum of every 15 minutes down to as often as every minute. (though it will impact your battery life somewhat)
    Thank you for this information. I will never own an Apple product, so these alternatives will be useful.
    04-01-13 09:52 PM
    Can anyone tell me how to setup push email? I'm not sure about how options given to me when setting email up.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 09:41 AM
    Can anyone tell me how to setup push email? I'm not sure about how options given to me when setting email up.

Posted via CB10
    You might have to wait awhile for an intelligent, informative answer on that Shifty88. Most of the members here on CB are too damn busy ranting, raving & showing who can be the biggest arrogant jackassed d!ck to answer serious questions.

Be patient...
    04-02-13 09:50 AM
    I applaud Omnitech for staying calm throughout, one of the members here that really helps.
    04-02-13 09:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    What email account are you trying to set up. The fact that it is push email doesnt change the way you set it up on your phone. You just need to make sure that the push icon is selected when in your account settings. This refers only to personal email accounts like hotmail mail, i have no idea how to set up your email for business.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 11:15 AM

First of all, it needs to be supported by your provider. Who is your email provider?

Some email providers support more than one email/syncing protocol. (ie commercial/paid Google email customers) If you have a choice between using Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) or IMAP, EAS is generally preferred. If your internet provider (or your work email) supports neither of those (ie only POP/SMTP) then you won't get "push" email on the Z10.
    Shifty88 likes this.
    04-02-13 01:37 PM
30 12