<Rant>

Hey guys, is it just me or is anyone else sorta frustrated with the fact that the "attach" and "format" and "importance" are at the bottom of the compose window when writing an email hidden by the keyboard. I just picked up a z10 for my father and he constantly is asking me how to get to attachments for the email. Now, because i am a resident at this forum i know is a two finger swipe up to drop the keyboard but why on earth are those buttons behind the keyboard?

Am i missing something? Some sort of option or shortcut here but i would love to figure this out, more so for my father but me as well. The preference for me would be to have it on the top, overlayed possibly somewhere but allow for easy access.

Who's with me here? If you know or something to remedy this aside from the two finger discount to slide away the keyboard please do shoot me a reply.

</Rant>
    06-21-13 10:51 AM
    I agree with you. I'm sure there will be tons of Z10 users who never realize the options are even there.

Btw, a long press on space bar also hides the keyboard and seems less awkward.
    (Hence the little pic in top right corner of space bar.)
    Last edited by elite1; 06-23-13 at 10:52 AM.
    madx80h likes this.
    06-21-13 11:53 AM
    It will likely be addressed in the A10 if it comes out with wider screen.
    06-21-13 11:58 AM
    Oh actually, easiest way is just to tap outside of any typing areas:
    Just tap the word Compose at top in middle of blue banner.
    06-21-13 12:08 PM
    Oh actually, easiest way is just to tap outside of any typing areas:
    Just tap the word Compose at top in middle of blue banner.
    This doesn't seem to work on the Z10.
    06-21-13 12:15 PM
    This doesn't seem to work on the Z10.
    Agreed. Doesn't work on my Z10 either.

Long pressing the keyboard does the trick for me.
    06-21-13 12:43 PM
    It always worked in other places, like in CB10 app, tapping Reply at top hides keyboard and exposes Attach Picture option.

I remember it didn't work for me previously, hut does now.

At those saying you can't hide keyboard in an email by tapping Compose, are you on 10.1?
    If not, that's probably the difference!

This is how you CB10, son!
    06-21-13 12:49 PM
    This is what gets me and i use my father as a regular consumer of the Z10 and not a forum member, he was unable to easily find it that he had to call me and ask. This may prove to be a problem for the larger masses of people looking to use the z10 as a serious emailing machine. I suppose once you figure it out its fine but we are trying to give the best first impression here.

We want people talking about how great the z10 is and not how they can figure out how to attach a PDF document.

Lets hope this is addressed
    06-21-13 12:57 PM
    You can always hide the keyboard with a long press on the keyboard or a swipe with two fingers.

You can also hide it if you swipe down from the input box

Posted via Z10
    06-21-13 12:57 PM
    You can always hide the keyboard with a long press on the keyboard or a swipe with two fingers.

You can also hide it if you swipe down from the input box

Posted via Z10
    Was it introduced and detailed within the tutorial at the start of the device? This is something that should be easy to see, sort of iOS like to make things simple for users.

Back in the 9900 days, we could hit that BB button to drop the menu for all sorts of attachment goodies.
    06-21-13 12:59 PM
    This is what gets me and i use my father as a regular consumer of the Z10 and not a forum member, he was unable to easily find it that he had to call me and ask. This may prove to be a problem for the larger masses of people looking to use the z10 as a serious emailing machine. I suppose once you figure it out its fine but we are trying to give the best first impression here.

We want people talking about how great the z10 is and not how they can figure out how to attach a PDF document.

Lets hope this is addressed

This is one thing that made me go for the Q and ditch the Z for now..
    06-21-13 01:06 PM
    Does anyone have 10.2 installed that can chime in regarding this and if it has been addressed?
    06-21-13 01:46 PM
    At those saying you can't hide keyboard in an email by tapping Compose, are you on 10.1?
    Using the 10.1.0.4825 mashup hybrid. Tapping Compose area doesn't work. Long pressing the space bar works for me.
    06-21-13 01:54 PM
    Using the 10.1.0.4825 mashup hybrid. Tapping Compose area doesn't work. Long pressing the space bar works for me.
    Lol, looking at this issue in isolation is terrible on the efficiency front and for new users. It's the same problem within this cb app

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 04:22 PM
    This doesn't really have anything to do with flow but ok.

The normal behaviour is to hide the action bar with the soft keyboard. They could float the action bar above the keyboard but that would take a lot of composition space (especially in messages). One needs to check under the keyboard to see what might be available, once learned it shouldn't be a major issue. Similarly one should check for an application menu by swipping down.

Most area on the composition screen is for text entry so tapping won't get rid of the keyboard. However if you press on the cancel button, then swipe off it before you release the keyboard will go away.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    06-21-13 04:30 PM
    It always worked in other places, like in CB10 app, tapping Reply at top hides keyboard and exposes Attach Picture option.

I remember it didn't work for me previously, hut does now.

This is how you CB10, son!
    Tapping compose hides the keyboard for me, I'm on 10.1.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 05:35 PM
    This doesn't really have anything to do with flow but ok.

The normal behaviour is to hide the action bar with the soft keyboard. They could float the action bar above the keyboard but that would take a lot of composition space (especially in messages). One needs to check under the keyboard to see what might be available, once learned it shouldn't be a major issue. Similarly one should check for an application menu by swipping down.

Most area on the composition screen is for text entry so tapping won't get rid of the keyboard. However if you press on the cancel button, then swipe off it before you release the keyboard will go away.

Posted via CB10
    I was merely referring to the flow of writing an email and attaching a document, its counter intuitive in my opinion. You need to let go of the hub "flow" idea for this thread.
    06-21-13 05:48 PM
    Tapping compose hides the keyboard for me, I'm on 10.1.

Posted via CB10
    Yup,

This works for me too, but once again, as a new user such as my father..these things are not so obvious. If i am not mistaken, i don't think they go over this in the tutorial linked with the phone upon a new setup. I would love to see a more intuitive method to attaching documents possibly but do understand that we would miss composition space.
    06-21-13 05:49 PM
    However if you press on the cancel button, then swipe off it before you release the keyboard will go away.
    That recommendation is a little "dangerous" as could lead to someone accidentally losing work. Probably a popup first, but why tempt fate.

You can even quickly swipe up from bottom of screen to top of keyboard and quickly back down to bottom again too.
    06-21-13 06:01 PM
    You are correct in a technical sense. The OP's point is that there are probably more intuitive ways to organize this.

The easiest, most obvious (to me) way would be a triangle with a plus sign dipping below subject line into the top right corner of the email body itself.
    Or it could a triangle or small tab that said: More.
    06-21-13 06:14 PM
    I have to disagree with having "attach" etc on top, as that's quite a reach for my thumb.. Whether I type one-handed or two, it's always with my thumb(s) at the bottom of the device, so the long-press of the spacebar works well for me to hide the keyboard - and my thumb is already in position to select "attach"
    06-21-13 06:32 PM
    Agreed. I consider myself a power user and I'm even annoyed by the fact that the "attach" button is hidden.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 07:27 PM
    I too would like to see the attach at the top. In addition I'd like to see the back arrow at the top. Many times I'm done composing a message such as a BBM thru the hub and I want to go back to the hub. Each time I have to long press on the keyboard to access the button.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 07:55 PM
    I was just trying out hitting the 'compose' blue area to see if it worked for me - seemed to be hit and miss for some reason. However, something that worked every time was if I pulled down the send from bar. Once it was visible I could hit it and it dropped the keyboard every time.

Sadly that doesn't work when replying to an email. Only when sending. A quick swipe down from the top, bringing up the settings menu, also drops the keyboard. As does a long press on a blank area.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 07:57 PM
    That recommendation is a little "dangerous" as could lead to someone accidentally losing work. Probably a popup first, but why tempt fate.

You can even quickly swipe up from bottom of screen to top of keyboard and quickly back down to bottom again too.
    I might agree with you on that except the supported and document way of saving work on a message is to press cancel and then save on the dialog.
    06-21-13 09:24 PM
30 12