Hi folks,

Installed the new ebay app this morning before work.

Checked my battery level this lunchtime and it was already down from 100% to 20% in 3.5 hours with almost no usage and the ebay app closed!

Just deleted it and battery consumption seems back to normal.

Beware!
    Last edited by Deckard79; 03-25-13 at 03:33 PM.
    03-25-13 07:56 AM
    Same experience, deleted ebay and left them a nice review asking for a native app, not an android port. One would think that a company like ebay could affor a coder to make a native app for BB...
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    03-25-13 08:06 AM
    I experienced this same behaviour last night after installing the app. Immediately after signing into My Ebay from the app, my battery level went from about 70% to 5% in about 2 hours. It was ridiculous! My device was getting warm while just sitting locked in my pocket. I deleted the app and today things seem to be back to normal. I'm not sure if the drain only happens once you sign into My Ebay, or if it happens no matter what, but I don't want to reinstall it and find out.
    03-25-13 08:11 AM
    There's that for the naysayers who do not believe in background apps. The android player.

I had a Memory Eater. Bar on my pc, laying around, so I sideloaded it to my Z10. It kills the android player (until I open and Android app again, of course) and makes my battery silky smooth.

If you guys want it, I could give it to you.
    03-25-13 08:14 AM
    I'm getting really fed up with this.
    I've noticed the same thing since installing Ebay.

Basically if you want to use any useful or functional app on BB10, it's coded badly and kills your battery.
    Travel, WhatsApp, Ebay.
    It's ridiculous.

You get great battery life, if you delete everything off the phone.
    Very very very disappointed over the last few days. Starting to feel like I have to use this as a dumbphone because of poor programming of apps and the QNX thing is all bull****.
    heading4tomorrow and Etios like this.
    03-25-13 08:20 AM
    I'm getting really fed up with this.
    I've noticed the same thing since installing Ebay.

Basically if you want to use any useful or functional app on BB10, it's coded badly and kills your battery.
    Travel, WhatsApp, Ebay.
    It's ridiculous.

You get great battery life, if you delete everything off the phone.
    Very very very disappointed over the last few days. Starting to feel like I have to use this as a dumbphone because of poor programming of apps and the QNX thing is all bull****.
    WhatsApp has been improved so it doesn't have the same effect on battery life as it did when it first came out. There are tons of reports of getting better battery life as a result.

Android ports are just that, ports. They aren't apps that were designed for use with this OS, they have been modified to work with this OS. That means it's pushing the OS in a direction it's not directly designed to be pushed in. Of course that's going to have an effect on battery life.

Furthermore, any app that constantly runs in the background will be a hog on battery life to some degree. I challenge you to find people from other platforms that use WhatsApp and get the same battery life they were getting without it. Don't sensationalize. The Z10 is far from being a "dumbphone."

JB
    03-25-13 08:29 AM
    Hi folks,

Installed the new ebay app this morning before work.

Checked my battery level this lunchtime and it was already down from 100% to 80% in 3.5 hours with almost no usage and the ebay app closed!

Just deleted it and battery consumption seems back to normal.

Beware!
    Thank you! I was wondering what the heck happened to my battery life! This was my only recent app install --should have thought of it myself.
    03-25-13 08:40 AM
    WhatsApp has been improved so it doesn't have the same effect on battery life as it did when it first came out. There are tons of reports of getting better battery life as a result.

Android ports are just that, ports. They aren't apps that were designed for use with this OS, they have been modified to work with this OS. That means it's pushing the OS in a direction it's not directly designed to be pushed in. Of course that's going to have an effect on battery life.

Furthermore, any app that constantly runs in the background will be a hog on battery life to some degree. I challenge you to find people from other platforms that use WhatsApp and get the same battery life they were getting without it. Don't sensationalize. The Z10 is far from being a "dumbphone."

JB
    I had WhatsApp official till their latest release. Still massive impact on my battery life.
    If BlackBerry world isn't going to let me know what is an Android port and what isn't, before I download and pay for an app, then I don't accept any excuses for why Android apps will run one bit inferior to native ones.
    If that's accepted, give us an option to filter apps in the store based on native or port.

Check on other platforms, including BB7, and see whether WhatsApp halves the battery life. I haven't experienced that. Nor on Android, with it's supposedly inferior multitasking.

I'm not sensationalising anything, I waited for these apps, they arrive, they cripple the phone, I have to delete them and am left without the app and hence without the functionality. Can't you see there's something very very wrong with that?
    Etios and shezalex like this.
    03-25-13 08:41 AM
    I guess I will be unistalling the ebay app and moving back to the mobile web version.
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-25-13 08:58 AM
    I am in the same boat. Had amazing battery life, and as of last Friday I installed some apps and now my battery life is very poor. Trying to figure it out.
    03-25-13 09:06 AM
    Yep ive noticed the same as well with the ebay app, installed it last night and used it for a bit then went to bed and plugged my phone into the charger. Woke up at 8 this morning, took phone off charger and by 11am my battery had gone from 97% to 85% without me hardly using it other than a few bbm's to my missus.

Definitely a huge battery drain with ebay, before i installed ebay my battery was good but i noticed this morning that my battery was suffering and it was because of Ebay. Deleted it and will wait for a native or an updated version which fixes the battery drain.
    millwright40 likes this.
    03-25-13 09:08 AM
    Keep in mind if an android app has performance issues, it will be exactly the same on an Android device.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 09:25 AM
    I was wondering why my battery seemed to be draining quicker than usual. I uninstalled eBay in hopes that it is the culprit.

On a side note, BB Travel doesn't seem to be draining my battery any faster than normal.
    03-25-13 09:34 AM
    I had WhatsApp official till their latest release. Still massive impact on my battery life.
    If BlackBerry world isn't going to let me know what is an Android port and what isn't, before I download and pay for an app, then I don't accept any excuses for why Android apps will run one bit inferior to native ones.
    If that's accepted, give us an option to filter apps in the store based on native or port.

Check on other platforms, including BB7, and see whether WhatsApp halves the battery life. I haven't experienced that. Nor on Android, with it's supposedly inferior multitasking.

I'm not sensationalising anything, I waited for these apps, they arrive, they cripple the phone, I have to delete them and am left without the app and hence without the functionality. Can't you see there's something very very wrong with that?
    WhatsApp on BB7 and previous was horrible for battery life! Did you use WhatsApp before BB10? Almost every person I know, on every platform, that uses WhatsApp all have the same complaint "its a battery hog!" I've had WhatsApp installed on my Z10 since it was officially released and since the update I haven't noticed any significant battery drain. My phone still goes from 8am when I take it off the charger until 6pm when I get home without needing to be plugged in.
    Spawn12 likes this.
    03-25-13 09:35 AM
    Keep in mind if an android app has performance issues, it will be exactly the same on an Android device.

Posted via CB10
    That's not true. The Android environment on BB10 is not the same as running on an Android OS that was built to run it.
    Etios likes this.
    03-25-13 09:43 AM
    Good to note because I just installed it yesterday and just deleted it.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 09:44 AM
    Good to note because I just installed it yesterday and just deleted it.

Posted via CB10
    I did the same. I had my phone charged overnight and after being at work for two hours, the battery was down to 40%...

Crappy. I was excited for the app too.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 10:19 AM
    WhatsApp on BB7 and previous was horrible for battery life! Did you use WhatsApp before BB10? Almost every person I know, on every platform, that uses WhatsApp all have the same complaint "its a battery hog!" I've had WhatsApp installed on my Z10 since it was officially released and since the update I haven't noticed any significant battery drain. My phone still goes from 8am when I take it off the charger until 6pm when I get home without needing to be plugged in.
    Agreed, whatsapp on my 9900 was terrible, really used to drain my battery quite rapidly whether i was using it or not. Same with my S3, again whatsapp was terrible on the battery. Even on my friends iphone5 again whatsapp is pretty bad for the battery.

But on the z10, it doesnt seem to affect my battery all that much...i have BB travel as well and again havent noticed any negative impact on my battery. But today after installing Ebay last night and using my phone this morning for literally sending a few bbms out to some friends. I found that my battery literally lost 30% or something silly like that in 2 hrs of having the phone off the charger.

Hopefully wont be too long before a native version comes out but seriously this app really does kill your battery, whether you are using it or not.
    03-25-13 10:45 AM
    I had the same problem today. I installed the ebay app last night. I charged my phone overnight. Went to work and then the battery died after 6 hours. Grrrrrrr.
    Have removed the app. :/

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 10:53 AM
    There's that for the naysayers who do not believe in background apps. The android player.

I had a Memory Eater. Bar on my pc, laying around, so I sideloaded it to my Z10. It kills the android player (until I open and Android app again, of course) and makes my battery silky smooth.

If you guys want it, I could give it to you.
    Yes send it mm to me.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 01:35 PM
    Thank goodness for this thread.

I take my Z10 off the charger every morning at 7am. Today, by 9am I was down to 75% which had me scratching my head. Then I went to the gym. When I returned to the change room and opened my locker, my pants felt like they had just been pulled out of a pizza oven and my precious Z10 was RED HOT with only 10% juice left! As every seasoned BB owner would do, I had a mini freak attack and yanked the battery out. I retraced my steps to determine what changed in my Z10 environment and sure enough, the last app to go on it was eBay last night. I cannot tell you how quickly and aggressively I pounded that trashcan on the top right hand corner of the eBay icon!

Since then things have gotten back to normal. As for the gripes regarding Android ports sucking the life out of the BB batteries and thus exposing how poor BB's app selection is.. I say phooey to that. When I look at all the apps I have installed, I realize that there's only a couple that I regularly use. CB10, BB Travel and WhatsApp. Everything else I install because of all the fanfare and hype that comes with the app announcement... but when it comes down to it, I think the mobile sites are just as good if not better,

So to those of you who are signaling the downfall of BB because of the lack of native app support, I say, chill out, man! The apps will come. Me, I would prefer most services to offer up a kick @$$ mobile site and leave the apps to more utility type programs (i.e. memory managers, battery usage, flashlights, file managers, etc..).
    Javid Gozalov likes this.
    03-25-13 02:50 PM
    This is disappointing to hear. Hopefully more native apps will start hitting soon.
    03-25-13 03:21 PM
    Then BB should stop advertising the 100k apps it has in store.

JB
    03-25-13 03:26 PM
    Have you tried disabling the notifications in the apps settings? I'd imagine that it polling would be the cause of battery issues, if it's not polling then it should be ok, and will at least allow ebay searches and purchases etc
    03-25-13 03:37 PM
    My battery seems to be fine after installing ebay. Let's Golf 3? Very different story!!

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 03:40 PM
92 123 ...