My phone:

BlackBerry Z10 STL100-3
    OS 10.1.0.4780
    Release 10.1.0.4200
    Build 569951
    T-Mobile - Florida, US

While browsing the File Manager on my Z10, I noted duplicate files in several locations. The most commonly occurring example is photos but it doesn't seem limited to photos.

The BlackBerry Z10 Camera by default stores photos in the "Device/camera"directory, however, I also seem to have the same photos, as well and a copy of some of my other files in "Device/misc/android/DCIM/camera" (I usually move my photos to a directory on my SD card). As soon as I take a photo, they seem to be immediately copied into this directory.

There is also a "Device/photos" directory.

As an example, when I use the Paper Camera app, the same pictures seem to go in two different directories ; "Device/misc/android/pictures" AND "Device/misc/android/Pictures " (note the lower and uppercase spelling of the "pictures" folder).

Could someone please enlighten me on...

1. How to tell what app is storing what files where and how to change the default location for each app.

2. How to tell what app copies files from other locations into the sub-directories inside of the Android folder?

3. What is the purpose of copying my files into the Android directory?

4. If I haven't specifically side loaded any Android apps. How do they work on my Z10? I was under the impression that to use an Android app, it had to be "side loaded".

It's important to note that all of my apps have been purchased exclusively through BlackBerry World.

Please forgive me if these are elementary questions. I'm not really much into re-engineering my phone. I haven't installed any leaks or messed around with the OS 10 yet. I may in the future but I'm just not experienced in it yet.

Thanks for any insight that you can provide.

Duplicate files, multiple locations-img_00000514.png

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Duplicate files, multiple locations-img_00000513.png  
    09-25-13 07:49 AM
    Those are symbolic links meant to support the Android runtime (it doesn't know to look for files in BlackBerry's folders). These can be look at as shortcuts rather than copies of files - the links take up a negligible amount of space.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    FF22 likes this.
    09-25-13 08:16 AM
    Those are symbolic links meant to support the Android runtime (it doesn't know to look for files in BlackBerry's folders). These can be look at as shortcuts rather than copies of files - the links take up a negligible amount of space.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Roger that. Thanks for the feedback.

So for Android based apps, do the files all go into a "default" folders within the "Device/misc/android" folder? Again there seems to be two of each folder; one beginning with a lowercase letter and one an uppercase (i.e. "download" and "Download", "movies" and "Movies" etc).

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 09:28 AM
    The only problem with those "links" is that if you attempt to COPY using something like Win Explorer, it will copy the files a full second (or third) time to your computer. At least, it works that way when backing up Manually on the Playbook which has the same file system. At one time, I was going to backup my PB using Win Explorer, the system attempted to back up my 64gig byte PB and use approx twice that space to copy "all" of the files including those symbolically linked ones. So, while they don't take up much more space on the Z10 (bb10-type devices), you should be aware of this aspect.
    09-25-13 09:43 AM