When I finally think I have the Z10 figured out, it goes wacky again. Looking at my contacts today, I have never seen so many duplicates. There are probably 50 contacts that have around 30 duplicates each. What the heck is going on? I really wanted to like this phone but it's just a constant headache

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 09:36 AM
    You can add an app called ContactX. It will eliminate all your duplicates for you. Very useful app too as you can make a backup and export it.
    Willard814, Mel25 and DStLouis like this.
    12-05-13 09:46 AM
    You can add an app called ContactX. It will eliminate all your duplicates for you. Very useful app too as you can make a backup and export it.
    This^^^^^^
    12-05-13 09:56 AM
    ContactX is excellent, and works well.

However, I agree with the OP. It is astonishing that in all the updates thus far for BB10, the duplicate contact issue has yet to be resolved - and ContactX cost me �1.50. It won't break the bank, but it's money that I shouldn't need to spend to keep my contacts in order.
    xales and Velocitymj like this.
    12-05-13 10:11 AM
    The contacts app is a mess. Not only do I have duplicate contacts but when I delete them, they reappear within a few hours. The linking option is totally fragged and causes my contact information to be screwed up in apps and functions all across the device. When searching contacts to compose a new message the names pop up out of alphabetical order based on whether or not I have a picture assigned to the contact??? Why??? if I delete a fb contact (which I've done by accident) I can't get them back, even if I manually enter their fb credentials the phone will no longer acknowledge that person as a fb contact. I deleted fb and reinstalled from scratch, and Ooooh boy did that royally screw my contacts. When I reinstalled it somehow auto linked my contacts with their fb which I had to do manually when I first got the phone and now 70% of my contacts profile pictures won't show up. What a mess... (and to top it off the last .429 update caused about 30ish contacts to be deleted entirely..

Posted via CB10
    cbzeduser likes this.
    12-05-13 10:25 AM
    I've still yet to have duplicate contacts appear. Sounds like a case of user error and/or a bad app they've installed.

Either that or a paid troll.

9700 ~ 9900 ~ Z10 ~ Z30
    12-05-13 10:29 AM
    I can assure you this is a genuine issue, and no I am not a paid troll

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 10:49 AM
    I've still yet to have duplicate contacts appear. Sounds like a case of user error and/or a bad app they've installed.

Either that or a paid troll.

9700 ~ 9900 ~ Z10 ~ Z30
    How clever of you...

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 11:00 AM
    The contacts app is a mess. Not only do I have duplicate contacts but when I delete them, they reappear within a few hours. The linking option is totally fragged and causes my contact information to be screwed up in apps and functions all across the device. When searching contacts to compose a new message the names pop up out of alphabetical order based on whether or not I have a picture assigned to the contact??? Why??? if I delete a fb contact (which I've done by accident) I can't get them back, even if I manually enter their fb credentials the phone will no longer acknowledge that person as a fb contact. I deleted fb and reinstalled from scratch, and Ooooh boy did that royally screw my contacts. When I reinstalled it somehow auto linked my contacts with their fb which I had to do manually when I first got the phone and now 70% of my contacts profile pictures won't show up. What a mess... (and to top it off the last .429 update caused about 30ish contacts to be deleted entirely..

Posted via CB10
    The first thing all of us should know is that the first account you set on your BB10 device became the primary account. This is not something I found to be advise anywhere, which should be. I have learned it the hard way.

Displayed informations are provided by your primary, then completed by all your other accounts for any missing fields. When you Link your contacts, by default it take your primary account contact info as the default one. (otherwise you have to open the contact you want to see has de default one and add manually Linked other contact to it).
    Now we should also wait that the synching process is completed before adding a new account, otherwise it may became mess up if it Link new contacts from your secondary/third account and then adding contact from your primary account.
    Now if you first set Facebook account in your device, it probably became your primary contact account. Then when deleting Facebook account ...you lost a lot since most of contact setting are refering to it.
    Last edited by DStLouis; 12-05-13 at 11:35 AM.
    paper_monkey likes this.
    12-05-13 11:07 AM
    When I finally think I have the Z10 figured out, it goes wacky again. Looking at my contacts today, I have never seen so many duplicates. There are probably 50 contacts that have around 30 duplicates each. What the heck is going on? I really wanted to like this phone but it's just a constant headache

Posted via CB10
    On my Z10, all my Skype contact keep duplicating, which is quite annoying.

Even if I delete them, they came back later.
    For exemple I now have 4 instances of all my Skype contacts.
    I'm fine with my other account contact list
    12-05-13 11:11 AM
    Same issue here, duplicates. And disappearing contacts

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 11:17 AM
    Questions

My main contact list is provided by and Exchange server (using active sync), that in no circonstance I want any apps to screw it up, or deleted any (it have more then 9000 contacts in it).

How did ContactX is deeling with it ?
    Which duplicated contacts they are in fact removing?
    Is there any deletion on our main accounts (ex LinkedIn, Facebook, Email account...) or is it only affecting contact list in the device ?
    12-05-13 11:23 AM
    Problems still remain here as well
    Contact x won't get them all so I just leave it a mess for now until we get an update

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 11:24 AM
    Any contacts that I had stored on the SIM kept multiplying like rabbits. Once I moved everything off the SIM, no more duplicates. Don't know if it'll help, but can't hurt.

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    12-05-13 11:33 AM
    A ton of duplicated get created by Skype. Clearly a bug either in Skype or in the way bb10 is handling Skype contacts. I agree though, the contact management is one area that demands quick and thorough attention by BlackBerry. Love the z10, but something as basic and important as cinta to needs to work flawlessly!

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 11:48 AM
    Never had this issue on either my Z10 or Q10. I only have contacts synced via outlook.com.

How are your contacts being entered into the phone? When you enter a contact into the phone, it presents you with an option at the top of where to save: Local, SIM, outlook.com, Gmail, etc. Default is to save everywhere. If you don't uncheck any of those boxes, then it will save the contacts to all locations.
    12-05-13 12:03 PM
    Never had this issue on either my Z10 or Q10. I only have contacts synced via outlook.com.

How are your contacts being entered into the phone? When you enter a contact into the phone, it presents you with an option at the top of where to save: Local, SIM, outlook.com, Gmail, etc. Default is to save everywhere. If you don't uncheck any of those boxes, then it will save the contacts to all locations.
    Where/How do you find the save location options.
    I don't find any on my Z10 running 10.2.0.429. And my added contacts, from my device, are saved to my Exchange email account AND to the local contact list.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 12:39 PM
    Contact X deleted some of my contacts.. and this issue have been really annoying..i tried so many times cleaning my contact list from duplicates but they randomly come back esp after an update of when u back up to link..

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 12:55 PM
    My contacts kept duplicating also until I copied them all to the AT&T book (a feature that appeared with my update to 10.2.1.1055) and the phone's internal memory and then deleted all from the SIM card. After that, everything worked perfectly. The SIM card contacts were the primary fly in-the-ointment for me and the SIM never recorded the contact information without error. If you loaded a given contact with a home phone number and a mobile number and then reset the phone, the SIM card would change the information to show the home number as a work number. Then that error would replicate onto the phone's internal memory. It would do this over and over again despite editing the SIM card contact to correct the error. I got so frustrated with this problem, that I finally deleted all contacts from the SIM card and I now rely on AT&T's cloud service to store the contacts. Too bad that this service is not offered by Blackberry directly, but it now works flawlessly. I do not use any social media and/or social media contacts, however, so cannot comment on such.

Running an STL100-3 (Z10) on AT&T.
    Last edited by Mozdony; 12-05-13 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling error
    duckduke likes this.
    12-05-13 02:11 PM

Can you screen shot this? I have never seen that option when entering a new contact on my Z10 running the latest official .429 OS. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 10:48 AM
    Just to put the cherry on top I erased my fb account and spent hours doing a major cleanup of my contacts, deleting all duplicate information and making it as clean and polished as possible then I reinstalled facebook and made sure everything was linked correctly, only now since I've reinstalled fb none of my contacts have display pictures even though if I tap into a contact profile it shows their picture but the general contact list shows nothing, and neither do some of my speed dials now...

Duplicate contacts-img_00000714.png
    Duplicate contacts-img_00000713.png

All of the contacts shown have profile/contact photos when I tap into them individually, but throughout the phone only a handful are displayed... a few manually set ones here, a few fb ones there, a twitter or two. but mostly just blank boxes...

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 10:54 AM
    I've had issues not only with duplicate contacts, but contacts disappearing. THAT is even more frustrating!!

But, I muddle on. I will check out ContactX.
    Mel25 and cbzeduser like this.
    12-06-13 11:00 AM
    Duplicate contacts, contacts not saving and disappearing, contacts linking strangely, information within a contact disappearing, pictures not saving, wrong information appearing I'd different contacts, deleting contacts just makes them reappear, the list goes on. It doesn't matter which os I use, same results every time. And I've used every official os and every leaked os with these same results.

Z10 10.2.1.1055
    cbzeduser and rai187 like this.
    12-06-13 12:11 PM
    Same issue here, duplicates. And disappearing contacts
    Yep. I have an issue with disappearing contacts. I'll re-enter them only to then sometimes find random duplicates. BB needs to fix this.
    cbzeduser likes this.
    12-06-13 12:56 PM
    I'm not complaining because I have recently installed the latest leaked OS 10.2.1.1055 so I expect to have leaky and buggy issues. However, duplicate contacts have always been an issue and the situation seems to have only gotten worse. In addition, I have been experiencing even more serious issues such as, missing email addresses and phone numbers. In this case, I would suggest maintaining full, alternate backups or phone books in Outlook, Gmail, etc. Another option would be to keep an extra phone or tablet handy for quick reference or retrieval. Finally, let's be patient and hope that BlackBerry would fix those issues very soon in the next official OS release.
    cbzeduser likes this.
    12-06-13 01:22 PM
82 123 ...