InvalidUser0510 is correct that Gmail supports "Push" email via "IMAP IDLE".

"Push" is not waiting 15 minutes. It means getting notification of new messages near instanteously.

However there are some network requirements that are a prerequisite to make that work. IMAP needs to maintain a long-term open TCP/IP socket for the notifications to work quickly. If you are using an unreliable network connection or if you have some network devices (firewalls, routers, NAT devices) that close the open IMAP socket prematurely, it will revert to the IMAP polling interval to inform of changes, which is minimum 15 minutes on BB10.

Note that IMAP IDLE will not update various other mailbox attributes like sent/forwarded flags and folder reconciliation instantly, just notification of new messages in whatever folders you are monitoring.
    Vijik and allstar0088 like this.
    03-21-13 08:57 PM

"Push" is not waiting 15 minutes. It means getting notification of new messages near instanteously.

However there are some network requirements that are a prerequisite to make that work. IMAP needs to maintain a long-term open TCP/IP socket for the notifications to work quickly. If you are using an unreliable network connection or if you have some network devices (firewalls, routers, NAT devices) that close the open IMAP socket prematurely, it will revert to the IMAP polling interval to inform of changes, which is minimum 15 minutes on BB10.

Note that IMAP IDLE will not update various other mailbox attributes like sent/forwarded flags and folder reconciliation instantly, just notification of new messages in whatever folders you are monitoring.
    Thanks.
    This explains why some people can't get the Gmail push to work the way Mr. Push here has it.

I have some questions for you but I will ask it in the other thread you have posted.
    Last edited by Vijik; 03-23-13 at 11:22 AM.
    03-21-13 10:05 PM
    are you on a wifi network or carrier network? if youre on wifi, sometimes the router settings can disrupt IMAP IDLE
    03-21-13 10:24 PM
    are you on a wifi network or carrier network? if youre on wifi, sometimes the router settings can disrupt IMAP IDLE
    Which is what I just wrote above.

See the following thread for gory details on tracking down the culprit for someone who had this problem:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...a-wifi-776355/

And people may also be interested in this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...yncing-777774/
    03-21-13 10:53 PM
    ah....

That may be it. I've not even put a sim card in yet (not been delivered) so have done everything via wi fi. Hopefully when I get my sim

Thanks Omni, Eau, Vijik et al. Always great to come on crackberry and get so many views and tap into knowledge and experience.
    03-22-13 03:08 PM

Just an update on this. Got my sim and my gmail is push (and instant....ha ha). Seems my router is causing the delays. That is fine, I rarely use wi fi, so now very very happy indeed with the overall experience on the z10!

thanks to all who contributed
    Vijik likes this.
    03-23-13 09:13 AM
    Just an update on this. Got my sim and my gmail is push (and instant....ha ha). Seems my router is causing the delays. That is fine, I rarely use wi fi, so now very very happy indeed with the overall experience on the z10!

thanks to all who contributed

Glad you got that sorted.

If you need some help some time on how to get your home network to stop blocking IMAP "push" notifications, go ahead and post on the thread I mentioned earlier:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...a-wifi-776355/
    03-24-13 12:04 AM
32 12