A home button warms up my thumb up for some bean flicking on my girlfriend later.

Posted via CB10 on my Black Z10.
    09-05-13 02:42 PM
    Just purchased Z10 and thought it was gonna make life easier. Upgraded from Torch.
    Then I made a call and attempted to go to the home screen during call. Darn phone kept hanging up!
    No matter how hard I tried to "swipe" up to get to the home screen, the End Call button takes up the entire bottom row and I kept hanging up calls.
    Sure there's always a learning curve with new technology but this is another reason why Blackberry has failed and the folks that designed this flawed phone have been fired.
    It's like they never took the time to learn why their competitors had home buttons.
    God forbid if you attempt to select, copy, and paste. Looks easy in Blackberry tutorial but a nightmare in reality.
    It took them 6 years after the iPhone to come up with a failure when it took Samsung 3 years after the iPhone launch to come up with a success.

I will kindly ask them for a software upgrade to fix this stupidity.

Even their name change couldn't save their ineptness. Until then, Fire them all at Blackberry!
    Akure4Life likes this.
    11-09-13 08:23 AM
    Just purchased Z10 and thought it was gonna make life easier. Upgraded from Torch.
    Then I made a call and attempted to go to the home screen during call. Darn phone kept hanging up!
    No matter how hard I tried to "swipe" up to get to the home screen, the End Call button takes up the entire bottom row and I kept hanging up calls.
    Sure there's always a learning curve with new technology but this is another reason why Blackberry has failed and the folks that designed this flawed phone have been fired.
    It's like they never took the time to learn why their competitors had home buttons.
    God forbid if you attempt to select, copy, and paste. Looks easy in Blackberry tutorial but a nightmare in reality.
    It took them 6 years after the iPhone to come up with a failure when it took Samsung 3 years after the iPhone launch to come up with a success.

Even their name change couldn't save their ineptness. Until then, Fire them all at Blackberry!
    That's like blaming a calculator for adding wrong. I say flawed user not flawed device. My own non techy 63 year old mother learned how to use a z10 with no issues at all.

Posted via CB10
    awindsr likes this.
    11-09-13 08:44 AM
    I really dislike using my wife's iphone 4s after using my Q10 for 2 months now. The OS and the home button use just feels clumsy and slow compared to my Q. Switching apps is particularly annoying. Peeking is second nature now...I simple can't and won't go back!

Using Q10
    11-09-13 08:59 AM
    *uck the home button,lol.

Posted via my Z10, cause Virgin Mobile and Flextronics are screwing me over.
    awindsr likes this.
    11-09-13 05:03 PM

2 things.

1st. Your device is flawed. BlackBerry has done excellent with the new OS. You just happened to have a different user experience.

2nd. Using a Z10 without a homebutton does make life easier. You wouldn't have to worry about a homebutton ever being broken. Plus it only takes 4 swipes to use the phone. Swipe up to wake device (if in sleep mode), pull down from the top to access the notification panel (flick it or tap it to hide it), swipe right to access the hub and left to go to the homescreen app launcher. It's so simple and it works flawlessly but of course you have a flawed device. Maybe try updating your software if you haven't already.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 07:27 PM
    its funny how CB user always complaint about button and saying BB10 is the way to go because all swipe and not button. Did all of you forgot 3 out of the 4 device from BB this year got button? not just one, but over 30? no complaint there right?
    Dude we're talking about BlackBerry not having a "home" button. We know about the power button, volume rockers and physical keypads on the Q devices but this thread is about the fact how BB10 devices don't a 'home'button and doesn't need it to operate it.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 07:31 PM
    Yes, we can all lol our butts off, and while we're laughing, an excellent OS is dying on the vine.

If it takes putting out a device with a home button to increase BB10 market share by 100%, 200% or even more in the few months after it's release, WHAT IS BLACKBERRY WAITING FOR?
    11-09-13 08:03 PM
    My post was to vent, not argue with anyone unless the designers of the device is responding.
    In addition, I have no desire or intent to insult anyone with my post or their usage of their device.
    I was only venting my first week's use of the device.

My post was done out of frustration after trying to swipe and hanging up on folks. After a few days I learned how to best "swipe" so now I'm good. I don't think device is flawed but will have it checked and I have updated it.

But my overall point was that these new devices were to save Blackberry and they failed to do so for a variety reasons and my experience is one of those reasons and it doesn't matter how anyone else feels because it's my experience and the experiences of others.

Going from over 50% market share of smartphones in the US to less than 2% in 6 years isn't because of me.
    I have owned a Blackberry since 2006 and no other device ever worked for me but the Z10 isn't what they hyped it up to be, home button aside.

With the Z10:
    I can no longer select items in my notes to copy. I could do this effortlessly with the Torch. With Z10 I have to Edit to do this.
    Selecting items to copy is a pain and requires more work and time. With Torch, I use the Home Button to do all this with ease.
    Copying an address is no longer possible unless you're trying to just map it. I could do this quickly and easily with my Torch.

Now if I'm missing something, then please help me.

Yes, I'm new to the device and yes I'm having challenges but the point is multiply these experiences by millions and then you begin to understand the decline of Blackberry.

Yes, there are other BB devices but I wanted an all touch screen and BB failed at that.

Remember, they had to write down $1B due to unsold devices. That wasn't because of me and my inability to use the device. That was user experiences and word of mouth.

So I'm not here to blast what Apple or Samsung has done to enrich themselves. I'm here to say that if BB doesn't fix the problems, it will go the way of Palm. Remember that company? The first smartphone company that didn't listen to the market (i.e. the consumer).

I don't want Bb to fail. If I didn't care about BB I wouldn't comment in hopes of them hearing and I would have purchased another phone like most others did.
    I want BB to succeed. With no debt and over a $1B in cash, there is no reason why they cannot come up with a better game plan.

Thanks to those that provided positive feedback.
    11-10-13 12:45 PM
    Today I went to Rogers after convincing my boyfriend to change to a Z10 (he was using an iPhone 4S). While we were looking at the phone, the sales woman comes up and my boyfriend says he'd like to purchase the z10 but he's a little wary.

Personally, I think the z10 is SO simple to learn! The first words out of the sales woman's mouth were: "I hate it".

He asked why, and she said "it doesn't have a home button". I almost died laughing. Ummm isn't that the point?!

I just don't understand! The phone is incredible! I want one so badly. He is still getting used to it but lovesit so far. I wish more would give it a chance.

It's the 21st century and we're still using buttons. Sheesh!

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 01:27 PM

Oh I do this all the time. Not hanging up I mean I'm always doing something else on my phone while I'm talking to people. See the issue you are having with the phone is not the phone or BlackBerrys fault. The device works fine. The problem you are having is that you are not using the bezels. The bezel is the black area around the screen. All OS gestures are utilized from the bezel not the edge of the screen. If you are hanging up on someone it tells me your thumb or finger did not reach to the bottom bezel but instead the bottom of the screen where the hang up button is. You'll get used to it. Practise makes perfect. Copy and Paste and Editing takes a bit more practise but is good once you get used to it. Good luck.
    11-10-13 01:40 PM
    Adapt! It's awsome!

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 01:44 PM
    Agreed. Get off the Apple *hit.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 02:27 PM
    Oh I do this all the time. Not hanging up I mean I'm always doing something else on my phone while I'm talking to people. See the issue you are having with the phone is not the phone or BlackBerrys fault. The device works fine. The problem you are having is that you are not using the bezels. The bezel is the black area around the screen. All OS gestures are utilized from the bezel not the edge of the screen. If you are hanging up on someone it tells me your thumb or finger did not reach to the bottom bezel but instead the bottom of the screen where the hang up button is. You'll get used to it. Practise makes perfect. Copy and Paste and Editing takes a bit more practise but is good once you get used to it. Good luck.
    As for swiping, start from the bezel and continue straight up for a little ways. Don't just do a quick flick, but an actual slide.

Copying and pasting can be tricky if you don't know how it works. I'm not sure about the Z10, but on the Q10 if you hold Shift then slide your finger on the screen, the text from the cursor to wherever you slide to will be selected.

Tap once to bring up the selection circle. You can either drag it to move the cursor or tap its edges (top/bottom/left/right) to nudge the circle one character at a time (for both, hold Shift to select instead). Even though it doesn't seem like you can do this all the way to the edge of the screen, you can if you just tap halfway on the bezel.

If you have trouble bringing up the clipboard bar, tap once to bring up the selection circle, then long press in the middle of the circle to bring up the toolbar. If you've just copied something recently, the Paste button should appear automatically.

Another random tip: in an open message in the Hub, you can quickly and directly go to the next or previous message by sliding back on the page, then continue up or down in an "L" gesture until the next/previous message is selected. Then let go, and that message will open.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 02:30 PM
64 123