I noticed something interesting in my local FutureShop flyer this week and last.

The Z10 is buried away and you have to look real close to find it...

This week's flyer, here is the "phone" section:

Does RIM have the resources to Market the Z10 properly?-screen-shot-2013-03-08-8.31.31-am.png
    Does RIM have the resources to Market the Z10 properly?-screen-shot-2013-03-08-8.31.41-am.png

But if you look on the back page, there it is...

Does RIM have the resources to Market the Z10 properly?-screen-shot-2013-03-08-8.32.10-am.png

Does RIM need to buy up a little more page space to keep the interest up?
    03-08-13 07:41 AM
    It's in the hottest deals of the week section...
    03-08-13 07:49 AM
    It buried at the back, last page, of the flyer where other products go to die. IE "Hottest deals of the week" usually means here's is what's on sale...
    03-08-13 07:53 AM
    They had full page ads in Future Shop and best Buy for three weeks after the launch. the only company that gets a full page nearly every week just for a phone is Apple.

There is still a major push on the marketing front from BlackBerry on TV, the Web and through social media. But right now with sales still strong they have no reason to really go hard with the print ads again until after the HTC One, Galaxy S IV and and maybe Sony Xperia ZL roll out.
    03-08-13 08:09 AM
    It buried at the back, last page, of the flyer where other products go to die. IE "Hottest deals of the week" usually means here's is what's on sale...
    Go to a mall and look around. Turn on tv and look around. Z10 is every where. Would rather see that than just a front page ad. Z10 is certainly not on the back page to die.
    03-08-13 08:10 AM
    Flyer ads vary from week to week and reseller to reseller. For example, I have a best buy mobile circular where it's front page.
    03-08-13 08:12 AM
    Unsure of the point...had there been no mention of BB10 at all I could see it... as mentioned... you cannot keep front page ads forever.... at some point you taper off and put your efforts into other mediums....
    03-08-13 08:19 AM
    Unsure of the point...had there been no mention of BB10 at all I could see it... as mentioned... you cannot keep front page ads forever.... at some point you taper off and put your efforts into other mediums....
    It's not even tapering off. It's just spreading resources around. Way more z10 stuff at the carrier stores for z10 than gs3. Yet Samsung has the front page here.
    03-08-13 08:22 AM
    I guess my point was, if Samsung and Apple can always be on the main pages, they clearly have the cash to market. RIM doesn't have the same cash hoards to market like crazy.

I also feel, TV isn't the best medium to advertise these days, as a lot of people DVR/PVR everything to skip commercials, or watch channels that don't have any commercials to begin with, like HBO for example.
    03-08-13 08:36 AM
    Take note of the prices. All the phones are on sale. Those flyers are intended to notify people of what's on sale, not simply what they carry.
    03-08-13 10:47 AM
    Valid question. It is a matter of allocation of resources. In one of our business we have to deal with the retailers, and sometimes you would think it was their job to sell you space in the magazine vs. sell your products, the pressure is immense. But does it drive traffic? Or would I rather allocate more money to POS in store and training for promoters so they technically can sell a very complex product.

I for one, believe more strongly in guerilla marketing, and taking the resources out to the street to get as close to the final consumer as possible. So the consumer does not come in with the store flyer and then get switched by an uninformed, un-motivated salesman who likes to sell Samsung because he gets a nice little spiff on that and it is an easy sell.

EDIT. I still think Blackberry is doing a pretty good job on this rollout.
    GoJaysGo and bbfan1040 like this.
    03-08-13 10:52 AM
    Does this marketing work for you or is it just background noise?

I notice when I'm interested in a product, and I do a Google search for it, every webpage I then go to, has an ad for that product. So is it effective or is it just background noise?

Here is what Sports News: World and National Sports Headlines, Score Updates, Highlights, Stats & Results - Sportsnet.ca looks like for me this morning:

Does RIM have the resources to Market the Z10 properly?-screen-shot-2013-03-08-12.50.32-pm.jpg
    distributor1 likes this.
    03-08-13 11:51 AM
    Walk into any Walmart as well, you can't help but notice it.
    03-08-13 11:55 AM
    What's rim?

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 11:59 AM
    Ummm Futureshop ALWAYS has different featured phones in the main section of the flyers and then other phones on the back page. I have seen the Ipad AND Iphone 5 on the back page before. One week FS will do a feature on Samsung phones, another week feature LG phones and other week it will be All blackberry and other times it's features on BELL, features on Rogers, Features on Telus.

Don't read into this dude... I always check the last page, because a lot of the best selling products are on the back page.
    03-08-13 12:02 PM
    I'm going to chime in with another comment about the Z10 marketing effort, namely the "Keep Moving" tv commercial.

While I get the keep moving theme, the whole commercial, the actors, the music, the messaging all comes across as super-dorky.

The demo of the amazing flick-typing feature as shown in the commercial is only on-screen for a about 2 seconds, too short for anyone who doesn't know about it to get the point of what they're being shown.

Plus the whole thing seems hectic to the point of being frantic, which is not cool. I just don't know who the BlackBerry marketing gurus think this commercial appeals to.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 12:11 PM
    Ok here is my theory:

Samsung spends more per year on marketing than Blackberry has in Revenue.

Think about that for a minute!
    source: CHART OF THE DAY: Samsung's Massive Marketing Budget - Business Insider

Now, here is how it can still work: Spend of course as much as you can and is reasonable in your situation. And get your Blackberry in the hands of as many people as possible as fast as possible. Satisfied early adopters are your best ambassadors, listen to early feedback and rectify it in software updates and voila, you will see more demand the more people see happy people using Blackberrys again.

Like the last updates to Twitter and linkedin showed, they can if they want. So, it's all about speed now. Get it going Blackberry, you have a following that is very loyal and will help you where they can.

So can it use the classic marketing approach to beat the marketing dollars from Samsung? No. But it can use every guerilla marketing strategy under the sun. Plus make your customers spread the word and show the device around. Seeing is believing.
    03-08-13 12:58 PM
    Ok here is my theory:

Samsung spends more per year on marketing than Blackberry has in Revenue.

Think about that for a minute!
    source: CHART OF THE DAY: Samsung's Massive Marketing Budget - Business Insider

Now, here is how it can still work: Spend of course as much as you can and is reasonable in your situation. And get your Blackberry in the hands of as many people as possible as fast as possible. Satisfied early adopters are your best ambassadors, listen to early feedback and rectify it in software updates and voila, you will see more demand the more people see happy people using Blackberrys again.

Like the last updates to Twitter and linkedin showed, they can if they want. So, it's all about speed now. Get it going Blackberry, you have a following that is very loyal and will help you where they can.

So can it use the classic marketing approach to beat the marketing dollars from Samsung? No. But it can use every guerilla marketing strategy under the sun. Plus make your customers spread the word and show the device around. Seeing is believing.
    Well said.
    03-08-13 01:08 PM
    Here at White Oaks mall in London, Ontario, there's tons of marketing, especially Wal Mart, just walking around in Wal Mart yesterday and the intercomm came on and it was an approximately 1 minute plug to come check out the Z10 in their electronics department. They have things hanging from the ceilings all over, giant posters, the displays are pretty vibrant and eye catching.

I'm quite satisfied for the amount of advertising they are doing, especially since BBRY has never been known to do anything of this sort.
    03-08-13 01:11 PM
    That was my first thought as well. Hardly seems buried.

Does Blackberry even have control over where in a FutureShop flyer they show? I think that is up to FutureShop, and what they decide to have on sale/promote.
    03-08-13 01:14 PM
    You have to think another campaign is around the corner as well - the Q10 campaign. That will be interesting. Just as the big March roll outs of the Z10 come to an end, we will begin to see the Q10 roll out. That should last for a couple of months. Then there will be lower end phones released for emerging markets and a pre Christmas launch of more phones. It seems BlackBerry is just getting started. We'll be hearing and seeing a lot more..the marketing campaign is long term and it is difficult to evaluate it after one month. So I would not jump to any conclusions about whether it is enough or not just yet..

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 01:32 PM
    Personally, I find the back page to be the second must important page in a flyer, if you don�t actually read the flyer, which many don�t, you are probably most likely to look at the back and the front in anything.
    03-08-13 02:08 PM
    I'm in nova scotia and everywhere i look i see some kind of ad for the z10. Bell is advertising it alot on tv. Almost every website i go to has an ad for it. Was in superstore yesterday and they had a 5 foot cardboard stand alone ad in cell phone section. In my circles it is everywhere.
    03-08-13 02:17 PM
    Personally, I find the back page to be the second must important page in a flyer, if you don’t actually read the flyer, which many don’t, you are probably most likely to look at the back and the front in anything.
    I completely agree. After seeing this thread i checked out the paper flyer. The samsungs are on page 12 of 24. Z10 is in a better spot.
    03-08-13 02:46 PM