I always charge my phone at night and leave it charging till morning. In the morning the battery is full, then charge in the middle of the day (yes I'm a heavy user) then at night it is already low in battery. When I charge it at night I don't want to wait till it is full before I go to sleep. Now I'm wondering if leaving it charging the whole night may affect battery performance in the future. Will it or will itn't?

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 08:05 PM
    It won't hurt it. It can't 'over charge'
    You should notice the flashing bolt stops and is replaced with a plug symbol. It's full and not charging.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 08:10 PM
    U can't over charge it because once it hits the max it stops

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    04-07-13 08:11 PM
    I have always "Over-charged" my batteries and it SEEMS to make a difference.

Say if me and my mate have the same phone and we have the same usage, mine will last longer.

I don't know if "Over-charging" has an effect or not though. It seems as though it does to me.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 08:12 PM
    Thanks guys. I just thought that once it is full, and still keep it connected to the power source, it may hurt the battery. Aight I now have the peace of mind leaving it charging the whole night.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 08:13 PM
    Ignore what i said. Reading them last 2 comments has summed it up.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 08:14 PM
    There is a circuit in your phone that stop the flow of electricity into the battery when it is full it is aptly named a charging circuit it is designed to protect your phone and battery

Posted via CB10
    AGeleff likes this.
    04-07-13 08:35 PM
    I have heard of phones killing batteries from over charging but they shouldn't have. If it does it means the design of the charging circuit is bad. All phones should shut off charging once the battery is full. The reason that a battery lasts longer when charged even longer is due to I think it's called floating charging or something where a very similar voltage to the battery voltage is applied to hold it where it is although I'm not even sure if this happens on phones. Batteries seem to charge faster than they actually do. So for example the battery could have a high voltage of 5v and be discharged at 3v and it will charge up to 4v very fast but it won't hold that voltage once the charger is disconnected. It will almost instantly drop down to 3.5v when connected to even a tiny load. If it's charged for an long time it will actually hold the voltage much better.

I might be talking nonsense.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 08:39 PM
    I might be talking nonsense.
    You might be, but I am no electrical engineer. However, I have noticed, on all rechargeable Li-ion based devices, that the first 1-2% seems to take the hit pretty fast. Faster than the rest of the battery. This assumes the meter is actually reading the actual charge properly.

I do notice that Battery Guru seems to let it drop to 99% and then back to 100% a lot. That could also be me fiddling around, even though it's still on the charger.

I dunno. there's like a bazillion threads about this on a bazillion messageboards. I never worry about it; I just leave that stuff on the charger all night, and unplug it on my way out the door.
    04-07-13 09:05 PM
    I leave mine on all night charging. No issues. Just continues to charge

Sent From My BlackBerry Z10
    04-07-13 09:19 PM
    As stated previously, you can't overcharge a current L-ion battery. It's not the phone that ultimately controls the battery charging but a chip in the battery. Originally this current crop of L-ion batteries were called "smart batteries " because of this self regulated charging but it's standard now. Don't worry about it, you won't hurt it. You could leave it on charge for days and the battery will never let itself be overcharged. For almost 2yrs I've been charging my 9930 at night with my PB charger, which takes less than an hour, yet it's on for hours. Still great battery life and no issues.
    04-07-13 11:37 PM
    Charge my Z10 overnight now and battery guru is reporting a health of 94/95%. Previously when I used to take it off charge when it had reached full and also charge during the day the health would fluctuate between 93/85%, so for me leaving it on all night seems to make the battery health better. In reality if the battery last a couple of years and then needs changing that is no big deal to me. I could live with that if that happens, so I am going to stick with charging it overnight, and only charging it in the day if it gets below 15% (which is pretty rare these days as I get a full days use out of my battery with moderate usage anyway).

Posted via CB10 using my awesome BB Z10
    vptsff likes this.
    04-08-13 05:02 AM
    If you "Over Charge" it will stop at a certain point. And it will eat up the juice even though you see it as 100 when you take it off the plug it goes down quickly

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 05:07 AM
    Same to me!
    I always leave it for charging over night and so far, it is no problem at all!
    knighty2112 likes this.
    04-08-13 05:09 AM
    Only thing I notice is my screen lights up when phone starts charging and stops. I'm guessing it's because it's draining soo fast. But an Os update will fix that. Just like in the bold 9930 days

Sent From My BlackBerry Z10
    04-13-13 05:15 PM