My z10's been acting weird lately, I have Bluetooth off NFC off brightness lowered to the least Wifi off with only mobile network on. I could leave it alone for 3 minutes at 99% and come back to find it at 70%
    My phone is always suffering for the carrier connection, I'm always on 2-4 bars and it's not stable, keeps going up and down could it be the reason why my battery is draining so fast or is it just because I am using a beta os? (10.3)

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App! From a Z10STL100-2/10.3
    BB10STORE on Aptoide
    04-05-14 07:06 AM
    You're absolutely correct, it's one of the main causes of poor battery life. Finding which service gives you the best balance between constant signal vs. data speed can be a challenge in some areas.
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 04-05-14 at 08:36 AM.
    UnlimitedEra likes this.
    04-05-14 07:12 AM
    That look that your device is continuously fighting to get a good signal.
    Battery, on any devices manufacturers, don't tend to last long while in bad signal area.

Did you try to do the opposite, turn off you mobile carrier signal with other Wi-Fi, NFC, bluetooth...ON

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DStLouis; 04-07-14 at 08:38 AM.
    UnlimitedEra and 21stNow like this.
    04-05-14 07:12 AM
    That look that your device is continuously fighting to get a good signal.
    Battery, one any device manufacturer, don't tend to last long whole in a bad signal area.

Did you try to do the opposite, turn off you mobile carrier signal with other Wi-Fi, NFC, bluetooth...ON

Posted via CB10
    I'm out of town with no internet service I only use Mobile data, it's set to 3G only since Edge or 2G isn't really good with mobile data, I will charge the phone and will turn off mobile radios and let you know.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App! From a Z10STL100-2/10.3
    BB10STORE on Aptoide
    04-05-14 07:23 AM
    Here's my battery log, is it okay?
    I did turn off all connections and set it to airplane mode.

Mobile data off, radios off (airplane mode) and brightness lowered to the least.
    Usage: music playing, writing notes, taking pictures �and playing random android games like flappy bird and such.
    Fully charged 100% at 6:17 PM�
    97% at 6:24 ( typing notes )
    96% at 6:34 (No usage at all, just check time)�
    94% at 6:40 (playing flappy bird)�
    93% at 6:42 ( typing notes)�
    92% at 6:46 (No usage)
    91% at 6:51 (No usage)
    90% at 7:05 (No usage)�
    88% at 7:16 (No usage)
    84% at 7:38 (No usage)�
    83% at 7:56 (No usage)�
    77% at 8:09 (Couple fun run offline games & music listenning)
    76% at 8:13(No usage)
    74% �8:43 (No usage)�

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 01:52 PM
    I am 100 percent sure that bad reception consumes more power than good.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-05-14 01:58 PM
    Yup. I have very iffy cell reception where I live. But I also have wifi-calling. When Wifi-calling is set to "wifi-only" (which just shuts off the cell radios) the difference in battery life is staggering. Otherwise the phone just keeps "hunting".
    04-05-14 02:29 PM
    Yes it does! I'm suffering the same thing... when I'm home (very bad reception) I force the phone to get 3G for better speed and I put brightness on highest and the phone lasts 3-4 hours in use... when I used to live in my old place I did the same and that combination lasted for 5-6 hours on continuous use..
    It lasts even longer (nearly double the time) when it's on wifi with mobile network turned off completely..

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-10.2.1.2102
    04-05-14 02:35 PM
    Also, what is the screen brightness setting?

If I go hiking, I have to be careful to turn off the phone or cell aspect otherwise I can deplete the battery quite quickly with no reception in the mountains.
    04-05-14 02:49 PM
    Try resetting the BlackBerry it helped me a lot

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 03:26 PM
    If you have HSPA+ available in your area it can actually be better for your battery in some circumstances. The power management strategy used in 3G is still voice call centric and tries to maintain a connection good enough for phone calls. HSPA recognised that most of the traffic is data and that's where most of the money is. But with data it doesn't matter if the signal is poor for a short period. So HSPA doesn't work so hard to preserve circuit switched quality. LTE is even better since it is a pure packet switched system.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 03:36 PM
    If you have HSPA+ available in your area it can actually be better for your battery in some circumstances. The power management strategy used in 3G is still voice call centric and tries to maintain a connection good enough for phone calls. HSPA recognised that most of the traffic is data and that's where most of the money is. But with data it doesn't matter if the signal is poor for a short period. So HSPA doesn't work so hard to preserve circuit switched quality. LTE is even better since it is a pure packet switched system.

Posted via CB10
    I'm on HSPA

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 04:03 PM
    putting your phone on wifi with a strong wifi connection saves battery as well as it doesn't need to hunt your 3g connection for a data connection.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 08:57 PM
    What about in this scenario:

I live on the side of a mountain wedged in between a valley. If I go down the road literally 3-4 miles, Verizon gives me full bars 4G LTE. Unfortunately here at home I can get 1 or 2 at bars at best.

Prior to even getting the Z10, I got a 3G network extender from Verizon which meant I used to have full bars 3G in and around my house with my old 9860 and 9900. I also run Wifi so life was good.

Now, with the Z10, Q10 and Z30, they always show 1 or 2 bars 4G LTE instead of the obviously stronger 3G signal from my network extender. I know there as long as I'm connected to Wifi, it will use that for data. And whenever I receive or make a call, I can hear the network extender tone and call quality is perfect.

So... my question is... are my BB10 devices wasting battery trying to stay connected to the weak 4G LTE signal despite wifi and the network extender? Verizon devices have no way to force a 3G CDMA only connection,.. so that's not an option.

For what it's worth, the Z30 lasts almost 3 times as long as my Z10. I don't know if it's just the bigger battery, screen, or the new antenna technology (which perhaps handles my situation better).

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 09:23 PM
    Low Signal=battery drain...YES

Trusted Member Genius
    04-06-14 02:39 AM
    What about in this scenario:

I live on the side of a mountain wedged in between a valley. If I go down the road literally 3-4 miles, Verizon gives me full bars 4G LTE. Unfortunately here at home I can get 1 or 2 at bars at best.

Prior to even getting the Z10, I got a 3G network extender from Verizon which meant I used to have full bars 3G in and around my house with my old 9860 and 9900. I also run Wifi so life was good.

Now, with the Z10, Q10 and Z30, they always show 1 or 2 bars 4G LTE instead of the obviously stronger 3G signal from my network extender. I know there as long as I'm connected to Wifi, it will use that for data. And whenever I receive or make a call, I can hear the network extender tone and call quality is perfect.

So... my question is... are my BB10 devices wasting battery trying to stay connected to the weak 4G LTE signal despite wifi and the network extender? Verizon devices have no way to force a 3G CDMA only connection,.. so that's not an option.

For what it's worth, the Z30 lasts almost 3 times as long as my Z10. I don't know if it's just the bigger battery, screen, or the new antenna technology (which perhaps handles my situation better).

Posted via CB10
    Verizon have no way to force 3G CDMA only connection !? Wow that's unfortunately bad. Mine under Bell Canada is even offering me Cell coverage alternative that Bell isn't offering at all (like GSM only).

Regarding your Z30 battery life, it look like the Paratek antenna is doing a greet job here.
    If it last about 3 times your Z10 for similar usage, that's apparently more effective than others typical users experiences (20-23 hours vs 9-11 hours, so about 2 times ).
    Spec wise the Z30 comes with a 2880mAh battery compared to the Z10 which has a 1800mAh battery. So aside other specs, the Z30/Z10 battery size ratio is no more then 1.6 times bigger.

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    04-06-14 03:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    You would probably get somewhat better life if you could get your devices to use the range extender but not a lot. The reason is that as I said above, LTE is much better at dealing with marginal conditions than UTMS (aka 3GPP). LTE is a pure packet switched technology, if you are not sending any packet data, because it is all going by Wi-Fi, the radio won't be transmitting very much. Since most carriers still use circuit switched technology for voice calls they drop down to UTMS when a call is made. This will cause your devices to connect to your range extender.

If you turn carrier data off when at home you may see that improvement in battery life without losing any functionality.

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    04-06-14 08:31 AM
    Another question here, my phone has 2 modes 2G and 3G( though I have LTE but my carrier is blocking it), I only get EDGE and HSPA or E and H. I only get 3G when mobile data is off. Does that mean E is 2G and H is 3G?
    If so, I woke today with gsm, I'm confused...

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 10:15 AM
    Another question here, my phone has 2 modes 2G and 3G( though I have LTE but my carrier is blocking it), I only get EDGE and HSPA or E and H. I only get 3G when mobile data is off. Does that mean E is 2G and H is 3G?
    If so, I woke today with gsm, I'm confused...

Posted via CB10
    E is EDGE, 2G GSM voice and data. H is HSPA, 3G or really 3GPP UTMS with a different power management strategy that gives higher data bandwidth. HSPA doesn't have any circuit switched capability so when you turn data off, or make a phone call you are dropped back to UTMS, or 3G.

If you can get HSPA coverage you may get better battery life by using it.

Some carriers call HSPA 4G, some people call it 3.5G. It is really just an enhancement of UTMS where rather than trying to add power to keep a good connection to a marginal device, it concentrates available bandwidth on the devices with good signals. This increases throughput over the whole cell. Since mobile devices signals are going up and down all the time, much faster than the bar display can really show, this strategy gives everyone better data throughput using less power.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 11:19 AM
    E is EDGE, 2G GSM voice and data. H is HSPA, 3G or really 3GPP UTMS with a different power management strategy that gives higher data bandwidth. HSPA doesn't have any circuit switched capability so when you turn data off, or make a phone call you are dropped back to UTMS, or 3G.

If you can get HSPA coverage you may get better battery life by using it.

Some carriers call HSPA 4G, some people call it 3.5G. It is really just an enhancement of UTMS where rather than trying to add power to keep a good connection to a marginal device, it concentrates available bandwidth on the devices with good signals. This increases throughput over the whole cell. Since mobile devices signals are going up and down all the time, much faster than the bar display can really show, this strategy gives everyone better data throughput using less power.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks!
    This makes me curious! Are you an engineer? (Electronics and Communication Engineering)
    If so, you're amazing at your job !
    If not, you should be
    Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 01:19 PM
    Thanks!
    This makes me curious! Are you an engineer? (Electronics and Communication Engineering)
    If so, you're amazing at your job !
    If not, you should be
    Posted via CB10
    More of a technician, but thanks.
    04-06-14 04:50 PM