Just wondering

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 10:42 PM
    It depends on if it's a port or not and how it polls for the info. Some will while others won't. No real need to until we get it natively. Then I'll be happy.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 10:53 PM
    Just wondering

Posted via CB10
    Interesting question. Like those "RAM optimization" apps everyone used to love on BBOS, it doesn't really make sense to run an app which uses memory to...uhh.. clean memory. I'm guessing any app that is constantly polling for battery stats is going to reduce battery as well as to some level. Some, more so than others.
    Vithulan L Nathan likes this.
    04-16-13 10:55 PM
    Okay thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 11:03 PM
    Nah I use Battery Lover and got 12 hrs yesterday with moderate usage

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-16-13 11:04 PM
    Nah I use Battery Lover and got 12 hrs yesterday with moderate usage

Posted via CB10
    Same

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 11:21 PM
    I'd guess anything without an official BlackBerry api sucks a little extra juice. I'm hoping 10.1 and 10.2 improves the instrumentation for measuring data and power usage.

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.0.10.85)
    vjvj likes this.
    04-16-13 11:23 PM
    I personally never trust any platform optimisation apps ("battery boost" or "memory boost" apps). Think about it this way: how can a 3-rd party application developer develop such an app using very limited APIs and little to no information about the internals of a closed OS platform?
    04-16-13 11:33 PM
    I was using one and stopped about a week ago, I was finishing work day with about 30 percent now it's rare for me to go below 50 at days end. I only have hub ++ open at all times

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 11:57 PM
    All apps drain battery, some more than others... running as Active Frame most apps use less than when in full screen, but the more the phone has to deal with, the more power it consumes...
    Apps using Android runtime use generally more power than the native apps - but native apps can also be created in bad ways and drain a lot.

BUT - one of the battery apps; "Battery Guru" is designed with battery saving in mind, and should not make a very noticeable impact on battery usage. Don't know about the other apps
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-17-13 06:33 AM
    It depends on if it's a port or not and how it polls for the info. Some will while others won't. No real need to until we get it natively. Then I'll be happy.

Posted via CB10
    It MOSTLY depends on how many times you go and look at what the battery monitor is reporting. The screen is the number one power consumer!
    peter9477 and BB_Bulldog like this.
    04-17-13 06:40 AM
    Yea that's the one I downloaded

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 07:21 AM
    I'm the author of Battery Guru, but I'll go so far as to say that any of the battery apps which are well-designed would have no or almost no measurable impact on the battery. I can't speak for all the others, of course, but unless the app is doing very odd things, or the developer is simply incompetent, there's no inherent reason why one of these apps should suck up enough juice for you to care.

I run two copies of Battery Guru all the time, by the way, and so far I've been unable to notice any difference in battery consumption between that and running a single copy.

There's a good reason a well built app won't use significant battery, by the way. The smart BlackBerry designers (hardware and software) have conspired to have the OS not even provide such apps with data more often than once every two minutes. An app shouldn't use more than a few milliseconds of time (let's say 10ms) to process the data when it arrives. Putting those two things together, a quick bit of math suggests that if you run your device for 8 hours, the battery app shouldn't consume more than the power it would take to run 2.4 seconds "full out". That's 2.4s over 8 hours of operation of the device. Trust me, you wouldn't notice that.

I hope to collect very precise data at some point... but that hasn't been high on my priority list since I know the app isn't using enough for anyone to notice.
    Papaguan, Morten and venious like this.
    04-17-13 07:18 PM