In almost every screen shot of a bb 10 device, o see that NFC is turned on.

What do you use it for?

Mine is off unless I specifically need it for something.
    07-24-13 12:32 PM
    nope never

You can use it for file transfers between other NFC devices or some places allow NFC payments. NFC is a technology that has not caught on mainstream yet so options for use are very minimal

The biggest draw is probably adding NFC tags. These can be used for automating process like turn on bluetooth and wifi, starting applications and other processes on the phone or device
    07-24-13 12:36 PM
    I use mine a lot more. Other Z10 owners love it when I tap the back of their phone and send them a file. I'm going to order some NFC Tags and play around with them too. I'll probably install one at my front door and one in my car. I will really use it a lot when you use it to pay for stuff.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 12:40 PM
    I just recieved Mifare Classic 1K tags/cards and found that they are not recognized by Q10 - message, that card is empty or is not recognized.

On my Nexus 7 and noname USB readers cards works fine and I found lot of fun with them

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 12:43 PM
    I would if CIBC got off their duff and released their mobile payment app!

Maybe I'll order some tags...at least to toggle bluetooth in the car or something.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 12:47 PM
    I've got some tags (ordered the wrong ones first) only programmed one so far. Turned it off currently to check battery draw with it off, I think my draw is coming from a weak wifi signal at work (i'm on the edge of receiving wifi, somebody that sits ~20 feet away from me gets no signal). I have a tag at my desk and need to program some for home, hoping that we get some more APIs so the NFC apps can have more function. I have also used it to share pictures and links to apps with my wife, much nicer than having to MMS a pic of the pups when we are both in the same room.
    07-24-13 12:53 PM
    Payment apps would be nice..

I know the uses - cards, file transfers, etc, just wondering if people generally use it..

I can't see myself using cards, unless I could use NFC and a card to, say, turn on the lights in my house our unlock the door. That would be cool. Toggling blue tooth on/off just doesn't do it for me..

Aside from toggling wifi and BT, file transfers and payments, are there any other good uses for Nfc?
    07-24-13 12:54 PM
    I use it to transfer pictures and videos.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 12:55 PM
    NFC is turned on by default - right out of the box. That's probably why you're seeing it all over.

For me - so far- I've used it for BBM contact exchange in meetings and conferences as well as to send larger videos and pictures instead of using BBM or Email.
    07-24-13 12:55 PM
    I've used it to add BBM contacts

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 12:56 PM
    Payment apps would be nice..

I know the uses - cards, file transfers, etc, just wondering if people generally use it..

I can't see myself using cards, unless I could use NFC and a card to, say, turn on the lights in my house our unlock the door. That would be cool. Toggling blue tooth on/off just doesn't do it for me..

Aside from toggling wifi and BT, file transfers and payments, are there any other good uses for Nfc?
    I read in another nfc thread awhile back that there is an electronic lock company that has nfc enabled door locks for your house, with an Android app I believe. Would be cool to unlock your front door with your phone!

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 12:59 PM
    At a family reunion, I shared pictures via NFC with a few android phones. It was the first time for both of us and pretty cool. My pictures were clearer than the oneness I received from them.

Looking forward to tapping instead of pulling out the credit card.

I only turn on NFC when I am ready to use it.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    07-24-13 01:04 PM
    I have a Sony blue tooth speaker SRS-BTX300, It is also NFC enabled, so I simply tap to it to pair with my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 01:19 PM
    OP, good question and to the forum, nice, courteous responses. I guess the jacka$$'s are asleep on this one.

Go BB!
    07-24-13 01:25 PM
    Once, It was a curiosity test.
    07-24-13 01:41 PM
    Once to add a contact and have not used it sense. Would like to use it to pay the grocery's at checkout. Someday full support will be there.
    07-24-13 02:59 PM
    I have no use for it at all.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 03:24 PM
    I actually use it alot, mostly for file transfers....

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 03:31 PM
    I use it every now and then to transfer files over...mostly music and photos...
    07-24-13 03:40 PM
    Despite the quip by Apple, I bump my phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 03:48 PM
    I use it a lot to transfer pictures between mine and my wife's, leave it on on both of them.
    07-24-13 04:19 PM
    My daughter and I both have Z10's. Yesterday we hiked up in the Rocky Mountains nearby. Another hiker took a nice photo of us with her phone. We used nfc to transfer that photo to my phone. Works really well. We were outside of mobile coverage so it was great to have that option.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 05:40 PM
    How easy is it to program NFC chips for BlackBerry and Android?

It would be a useful "nice to have" toy if BB10 and an S3 could read the same tags.

Posted Using CB10 - Z10 "-2" on the Vodafone UK Network
    07-24-13 05:51 PM
    Turned mine off just there probs causes battery drain I never use it

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 06:01 PM
    Easy to program with an app, I am thinking you would need the app to be on both platforms though as that is what programs and launches when you hit the tag. Not sure what all information the tag holds, I would hit up the developers of My Profiles Pro (also a member here and cat knows NFC stuff way more than me, I am just tinkering with the tags and what I want to do with them).
    07-24-13 06:02 PM
31 12