Just a thought as my battery life ain't great since I put android apps on my phone

Posted via CB10
    silvyguy likes this.
    06-21-13 01:51 PM
    I don't think so. My battery life is good and I have android ports

Posted via my white Z10. LG banter- blackberry bold 9900- Z10
    06-21-13 02:17 PM
    depends on the app.

instagram does not but Netflix yes
    06-21-13 02:54 PM
    Just a thought as my battery life ain't great since I put android apps on my phone

Posted via CB10
    I haven't had trouble with Android apps draining more battery than I'd expect on my z10 or PlayBook.

However, some apps that constantly pull data from the Internet would use up more battery than others.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    06-21-13 02:55 PM
    No they do not.
    06-21-13 02:56 PM
    Depends on the app

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 03:14 PM
    Here's a simple way to test:

1. Reboot your phone
    2. Start Battery Guru, no other apps yet
    3. Leave it running for a few minutes with the screen off
    4. Start the app you wish to measure
    5. Leave it running for a few minutes with the screen off
    6. Exit the app
    7. Leave your phone running for a few minutes with the screen off

Then compare the black line of 3, 5 and 7.

3 is the power consumption of just your phone
    5 is the power consumption of your phone + the android runtime + the app
    7 is the power consumption of your phone + the android runtime

Remember that the Android runtime remains active even after you have closed the app. Also, the app may have started services (built-in Android ones, or custom ones) that could remain running after you have closed the app.
    06-22-13 01:08 AM
    It depends on the app. Ebay was notorious for killing a fully charged battery in a couple hours. So if your battery life is poor and you have checked all of your settings it's possible that it is one of your Android ports.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 01:18 AM
    Yes they do. But not all. One way to check is to sideload Advanced Task Killer Free and Advanced Task Manager, then use those apps to see which apps are silently running services and processes in the background. You have the option to "Kill" the process too.

It is surprising to see some sideloads with full permissions running silently in the background.
    Also, after killing the process, after a few minutes it starts running again, so I had to uninstall some permanently.

BlackBerry please fix this potential security leak.

Posted via CB10 & Z10 abuser
    06-22-13 01:41 AM
    Depends. The ones that run in the background do. Just have to know which ones they are. And yes android apps can run headless.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by VR6; 06-23-13 at 03:33 PM.
    06-22-13 01:45 AM
    I noticed a great decline in battery life after installing Instagram (sideload).uninstalled it and it was all back to normal!

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 05:12 AM
    Between Ebay and Skype my Z10 was running hotter than he'll and battery life was absolute garbage 4 hrs max.. removed both apps, removed battery restart(just because) voil.. normal temperature phone and normal full day battery. There is no way these apps are good for the phone, Bbry themselves should be scrutinizing every single port for compatibility before allowing into the app store.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 05:29 AM
    Since I put some on my phone has been getting really hot and sudden battery drain but it sounds like it depends on the app

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 05:41 AM
    Thanks will try all your suggestions

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 05:49 AM
    I also have noticed this recently. A while back, I put Instagram on and it worked no problem and I didn't notice any battery issues. The other day, I sideloaded a bunch of apps for fun (so I can't pinpoint which one), and my battery life has been brutal. The device even gets hot on the back when the drain is happening, and I don't have any apps open/running.

I just deleted a few of the apps from my phone and rebooted it. That seemed to help stop/slow the bleeding...for now.
    07-11-13 10:41 AM
    I also have noticed this recently. A while back, I put Instagram on and it worked no problem and I didn't notice any battery issues. The other day, I sideloaded a bunch of apps for fun (so I can't pinpoint which one), and my battery life has been brutal. The device even gets hot on the back when the drain is happening, and I don't have any apps open/running.

I just deleted a few of the apps from my phone and rebooted it. That seemed to help stop/slow the bleeding...for now.

I guess I need to uninstall the apps properly via my pc...since all the deleted apps reappear after reboot.
    07-11-13 10:42 AM