Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By lindaandjon
  • 1 Post By JRChristenson
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default DIY Cycle Mount

I'm a keen cyclist and love having my phone display maps whilst cycling. I've been looking for a good cycle mount for our Tandem and have found some great ones in the States but nothing I like over here so I decided to cannibalise an old handlebar mount I had lying around and add the holder section of a car windscreen mount to it (using Epoxy resin). I thought it looked pretty good so I've posted a pic here of the finished item. I may add an elastic strap to it for when we go off road (yes on a tandem) but it feels pretty good and secure for the normal roads. One thing I noticed about the Dashboard mount is that the top clip has a tendency to switch the phone off - I've added two dollops of epoxy to the underside of the grip at each edge to raise the centre section off the button which seems to be perfect. Time will tell!DIY Cycle Mount-img-20130318-00006.jpgDIY Cycle Mount-img-20130318-00009.jpg
    Thanked by:
    KoukiFC3S (04-01-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

I think I'm going to go with this one: Amazon.com: RAM RAP-SB-187-UN7U Universal bike Mount for iPhone 3/4, Samsung Galaxy, HTC Thunderbolt, Incredible, HD7, Motorola Droid, Atrix and other Android Smartphones with bumper or case: GPS & Navigation

I'm not sure what app I'm going to use though, I've heard endomondo will not be supporting BlackBerry 10 anytime soon.
    Last edited by JRChristenson; 03-19-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Yes I used to use Endomondo and am disappointed its not out yet for bb10.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Option C, search crackberry store for handlebar.
    Not sure what you're looking for in an app, but check out Ulysse Speedometer.
    Shareholder and owner of Playbook and STL-100-3 Z10 SR 10.2.1.537 on Telus in Alberta
    CrackBerry User

The option Crackberry sells doesn't look like a good fit for the Z10 to me. Especially with the opening for the earbud jack on the bottom.
    CrackBerry Abuser

My z10 fits inside along with the battery pack. I don't use the earphone jack but it is oriented so the grommeted hole is at the top. It swivels and turns any way you want.
    Shareholder and owner of Playbook and STL-100-3 Z10 SR 10.2.1.537 on Telus in Alberta
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by lindaandjon View Post
    Yes I used to use Endomondo and am disappointed its not out yet for bb10.

Posted via CB10
    Good mount! Yea Endomondo would be great on BB10!
    CrackBerry User

Does the grommet hole line up with the earphone jack well enough that you could use it if you wanted? Is there enough space that you could use it along with an otterbox?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Well.. the grommet is dead center, but the case is wide enough for the z10 to sit off center and have the plug poke through the hole. Trying to fit the z10 in the case while having another case on is really doubtful unless it's a very thin case/skin. The z10 takes up the entire length when naked.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Boight View Post
    Well.. the grommet is dead center, but the case is wide enough for the z10 to sit off center and have the plug poke through the hole. Trying to fit the z10 in the case while having another case on is really doubtful unless it's a very thin case/skin. The z10 takes up the entire length when naked.
    Thanks for the info.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

7250, Motorola Q, 8830, Tour, iPhone 4, Bold 9930, Z10, Z30
    CrackBerry User

I'm giving Sports Tracker a try since there is still no Endomondo. It works well but I'm still really hoping Endomondo comes through with a BB10 app.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

7250, Motorola Q, 8830, Tour, iPhone 4, Bold 9930, Z10, Z30
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by JRChristenson View Post
    I'm giving Sports Tracker a try since there is still no Endomondo. It works well but I'm still really hoping Endomondo comes through with a BB10 app.
    Just some links to compliment the above post:

The BB10 Sports Tracker app
    The Sports Tracker home page
    Just tired this one after converting:
    JEFIT
    Last edited by The_Original_Modifier; 04-01-2013 at 01:54 PM.
    Moved upto the Blackberry Bold April 9/10, Z10 is on its way! Feb 2013.

Why is the Mrs. so jealous of my blackberry???? It's not my fault she chose the eyePhone Lol