I copied a homemade mp4 file to the z10 of one of my vacation trips (I create a dvd movie from the digital photos). The image is "widened" and frankly I don't need any help in the WIDENING area. It seems to show correctly on my PB and on my computer and even when projected out through the hdmi port. But on the Z10 it is wide. Pinch does not HOLD - bounces right back to wide.

There does not seem to be a setting to alter this behavior or appearance. If not connected to the tv, the DISPLAY/hdmi setting is grayed out.

Thanks in advance.
    09-13-13 12:03 PM
    I have issues with the same thing as well. People on videos on mine have long tall faces. The same videos look fine on the TV and PB and on the PC. Toggeling through the modes doesn't help much either. When I put it in 16:9 mode, the playback gets choppy and the picture is moved to the bottom. That's one reason I never watch anything on my phone.
    09-13-13 12:26 PM
    I have issues with the same thing as well. People on videos on mine have long tall faces. The same videos look fine on the TV and PB and on the PC. Toggeling through the modes doesn't help much either. When I put it in 16:9 mode, the playback gets choppy and the picture is moved to the bottom. That's one reason I never watch anything on my phone.
    If the z10 is not attached to a tv, can you alter the mode to 4:3 or whatever? I find it grayed out if not connected.

I will do some more testing. It's not that I necessarily want to watch it on the z10 but might want to show others a brief look and the distortion does not show off either my "excellent" movie or the z10 in the best light.
    09-13-13 02:34 PM
    If the z10 is not attached to a tv, can you alter the mode to 4:3 or whatever? I find it grayed out if not connected.

I will do some more testing. It's not that I necessarily want to watch it on the z10 but might want to show others a brief look and the distortion does not show off either my "excellent" movie or the z10 in the best light.
    No I was talking about the toggle in the top right corner when the video is playing.
    You can change the display modes there, but it seems useless because the proportions are always wrong no matter what you set it to.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 03:48 PM
    No I was talking about the toggle in the top right corner when the video is playing.
    You can change the display modes there, but it seems useless because the proportions are always wrong no matter what you set it to.

Posted via CB10
    Ah, thanks for that info.

So, no one else has this issue or they don't care? So, is this the "HAMMER" issue - if it's the only tool you have, everything is a NAIL! Every video is "WIDE SCREEN" even if it is not.
    09-14-13 08:44 AM
    Ah, thanks for that info.

So, no one else has this issue or they don't care? So, is this the "HAMMER" issue - if it's the only tool you have, everything is a NAIL! Every video is "WIDE SCREEN" even if it is not.
    I actually have more of the opposite. The phone tries to show wide screen as squished 4:3 no matter what. But this is with streaming MKV from my PC. The few videos that are on my phone are somewhat ok.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 03:29 PM
    No, these are videos directly on the phone - mp4. Again, I created them myself but they show proper proportions on other devices. I guess I will throw some other mp4's on there and see how they perform.
    09-15-13 01:21 PM
    Bumping this thread.

I just created a new video. Since the phone was going downstairs, I copied the mp4 video to the phone. Plugged it into my tv but, once again, the images are distorted - too wide. So the screen is spread left to right and people are too wide. The effect is less noticeable on Scenery but you can see it for buildings and such. And, it is not just on my TV but it is also evident on the Z10, itself. So, the z10 appears to not be displaying the image or video WIDTH correctly.

I then copied the same video to my Playbook (another BB device) and the video is fine and NOT DISTORTED.

I am still on the original Verizon bb10.1.xxxxxxxxxxxx OS.

Any idea if there is a setting on the phone that I am missing.
    10-17-13 09:52 AM
    I have the same issue when playing anything with the video player. Even movie rentals and TV shows purchased through BlackBerry World are distorted/too wide. If this is a setting and not a bug, I'd also like to know how to change this.

Videos played through the browser, Netflix, anywhere else display properly.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    10-17-13 02:09 PM
    I have the same issue when playing anything with the video player. Even movie rentals and TV shows purchased through BlackBerry World are distorted/too wide. If this is a setting and not a bug, I'd also like to know how to change this.

Videos played through the browser, Netflix, anywhere else display properly.

Posted via CB10
    Damn! I had not thought about opening the video in the Browser. You are RIGHT - the video proportions are correct when opened in the Browser. So this is a definite bug in the Video app's software or settings. Of course, one should not have to go into the browser to view videos because the app is BROKEN.

I wonder if Kalemsoft or other video apps performs correctly?

When I first posted the thread, I did not know if it was my desktop software's coding or resolution or .... So I burned off the video in format after format to no avail. I am somewhat surprised that no one else has raised this issue. Maybe I will take it to the official bb forum.
    madx80h likes this.
    10-17-13 03:15 PM
    I created a similar thread back in May with screen shots pointing out the same thing, but either nobody really saw the thread or we're the only ones who notice the aspect ratio is off, haha. I actually stopped renting movies from my phone specifically because of this.

I hadn't thought of trying Kalemsoft or another video application. Seems like if it's just a default video player issue, then a 3rd party app should display correctly?

If you find anything out via the BB forums be sure to post back here!

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    10-17-13 04:55 PM
    I did post over there. I will report back if I hear anything.

I think an issue with 3rd party apps might be that they canNOT simply play the video if the video was encrypted for the "rental" but I don't know if that's the case or not. But did you contact BB since they are losing your $$ (not much but others may be reacting similarly) since the video results are poor.

I don't know if the appworld address is the same but it is:

[email protected]
    madx80h likes this.
    10-17-13 05:45 PM
    Ah, look forward to hearing what is said about this on the BB forums.

I didn't contact BlackBerry nope, though I probably will now if anything just so they're aware.

I took a look at a few previews for movies in App World and they're still incorrect. Do they appear like this for you too?

Here's a screenshot from the preview for the Hangover 2.

Distorted video - too wide-img_00001102.png

Obviously, the aspect is off

Edit to add: You might know this already, but a good way to test/check your own movies is to use an image of the yang yang symbol. The circular design makes it really easy to spot a problem!
    10-17-13 10:03 PM
    Ah, look forward to hearing what is said about this on the BB forums.

I didn't contact BlackBerry nope, though I probably will now if anything just so they're aware.

I took a look at a few previews for movies in App World and they're still incorrect. Do they appear like this for you too?

Here's a screenshot from the preview for the Hangover 2.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00001102.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	211479

Obviously, the aspect is off

Edit to add: You might know this already, but a good way to test/check your own movies is to use an image of the yang yang symbol. The circular design makes it really easy to spot a problem!
    So far no responses on their forum. They never officially reply anyway but other users can or do but it brings things to their attention. Whether they act on that is another story.

I will definitely have to try a CIRCLE and SQUARE test. I can just add in a jpg or two and burn it off. Probably not till tomorrow evening or the weekend.
    10-17-13 11:30 PM