I couldn't find a post about this, but I discovered that there is a difference between restarting the Z10 and doing an actual physical battery pull.

For the past day or so my Verizon Z10 was no longer recognizing the GPS, thus BB Maps, Foursquare and Facebook check-ins were inoperable. In addition, I was only getting vibration alerts, no tones at all. Yes, I checked the setting and both the GPS was on and my notifications were set as normal. I restarted the phone several times and this did not fix the problem. As soon as I pulled the battery everything was back to normal after boot up.

The moral of the story: If you having what seems like an issue with your Z10 that doesn't get fixed with a restart, pull the battery. Luckily this doesn't happen often, this is my first problem since getting it over two weeks ago.
    RazzBerry likes this.
    04-16-13 12:38 PM
    Thanks for your time to post this!
    04-16-13 01:27 PM
    You can do a hard reset by holding volume up and volume down at the same time. Hold until the screen goes blank and the blackberry logo comes up. It will take a screen shot but you can ignore it. The phone will restart on it's own.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 01:38 PM
    a battery pull is like resetting the phone and clearing it all up and starting fresh so to speak. it clears and taken up memory from runnings apps and basically closes them and its like restarting a computer.
    04-16-13 03:56 PM
    But just to clarify, I know about these ways to resett the phone, but they didn't fix my problem. Pulling the battery did so I think there may be a difference.
    04-16-13 05:02 PM
    I second the OP's statement. I was having issues of another sort which a hard reset did not fix, but a physical battery pull did fix. There is a difference.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 05:51 PM
    I think that holding the volume keys on the Z10 accomplishes a soft reboot, although holding the volume keys on the pb accomplishes a hard reboot. A hard reboot is always indicated by a solid red led while the screen is completely off. On a Z10 you can perform a hard reboot by holding down the power/lock button for about 10 seconds. This produces the red led whereas the volume button restart does not. I don't believe that there is any difference between performing a hard restart and pulling the battery.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 05:56 PM
    I disagree. Tried both of the methods you're referring to and they both still did not fix my issues whereas a battery pull did. I believe the only way to truly do a hard reboot is to pull the battery.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:07 PM
    Let me clarify.. holding the power button for ten seconds may be considered a hard reboot, but it doesn't accomplish the same as a battery pull. The two processes do different things.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:08 PM
    I think that holding the volume keys on the Z10 accomplishes a soft reboot, although holding the volume keys on the pb accomplishes a hard reboot. A hard reboot is always indicated by a solid red led while the screen is completely off. On a Z10 you can perform a hard reboot by holding down the power/lock button for about 10 seconds. This produces the red led whereas the volume button restart does not. I don't believe that there is any difference between performing a hard restart and pulling the battery.

Posted via CB10
    I believe the same thing.

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-16-13 06:13 PM
    Sounds like...If I understand correctly...If all else fails, pull the battery.
    By the way Thanks to all for making this an informative and helpful thread.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:15 PM
    Let me clarify.. holding the power button for ten seconds may be considered a hard reboot, but it doesn't accomplish the same as a battery pull. The two processes do different things.

Posted via CB10
    That maybe the case, but I haven't seen any posts or KB articles confirming this over at BlackBerry.com

04-16-13 06:16 PM
    I think I read somewhere that doing a battery pull completely disconnects your phone from a power source. So if you have a bug the problem will repeat if you only do a soft reboot like restarting the phone or holding the volume keys.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:20 PM
    The solid red led indicates the disruption of battery power. It can be seen when you plug your device into the computer without a battery in it. The only difference between removing the battery and doing a hard restart is the length of time the device remains disrupted from the power source. It could be that a longer disruption period allows the memory to be thoroughly flushed but that would be the only way that I believe a battery pull could accomplish more than a hard restart.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:29 PM
    The solid red led indicates the disruption of battery power. It can be seen when you plug your device into the computer without a battery in it. The only difference between removing the battery and doing a hard restart is the length of time the device remains disrupted from the power source. It could be that a longer disruption period allows the memory to be thoroughly flushed but that would be the only way that I believe a battery pull could accomplish more than a hard restart.

Posted via CB10
    Makes sense. Thank you.

04-16-13 06:42 PM
    A normal shutdown and soft reset allows the functions, kernels and services to save settings and close normally. A hard reset such as from a battery pull prevents the above from closing normally and saving settings, including corrupt files or an app that goes buggy. During the restart the loads are fresh and pre-shutdown status in not retained. Due to this process, most issues not resolved by soft reset or a normal restarts can be cleared with a hard reset.
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-16-13 07:13 PM
    Battery pull always has its secret.
    So need improve your battery pull skill.
    Thank BBR keep me to do battery pull 6times per day.
    04-16-13 07:33 PM
    All I know is, battery pull equals problems fixed, hard reset using power/lock key and/or volume keys equals problems not fixed. That's how I know two different things are happening between the various methods of boot.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 07:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    that would make sense if it weren't for this: When I hold the power button (until the options menu pops up), then let go and tap restart, I also get the red led blinking upon restart. Isn't accessing the menu to do a controlled restart (allowing stuff to save and shutdown) classified as a soft restart?
    04-16-13 08:27 PM
    You get a flashing led with the restart option as opposed to a solid red led

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 11:44 PM