Hi. I recently bought a Z10 on Amazon. The website said "latest model." On this site, I saw people talking about different versions, so I checked, and I have the STL100-1 model.

From posts on this site, and from some of the reviews on Amazon, it sounds like this is an earlier model, that has somewhat less performance than the later versions. Is this true?

What differences in function and speed would I notice between this and the newer versions? Thank you in advance for your responses.
    05-21-14 04:10 PM
    Nothing inferior here. Maybe a tiny decrease in processor performance but noticable better gpu. Overall the same if not better

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 04:38 PM
    STL100-1 have a different processor but that really don't matter. What does matter is that STL100-1 is only 3G, which means you won't be able to access LTE (4G) speeds if your carrier offers such networks.

Other than that, STL100-1 works great but you have to wait a little longer to get any new OS leak...
    05-21-14 04:38 PM
    As a late, useless note, you should have researched what band frequencies your carriers have before getting a device. The STL-100-1 does not have 4G LTE support and if any of your carriers offer that, you're losing on it.
    05-21-14 04:42 PM
    Been running the 100-1 for almost 15 months. Never looked back. Inferior? Not. Most my downloads on WiFi anaways and getting H+ speeds on cellular. With the congested bandwith on LTE locally, peeps rarely achieve major gains in download speed compared to my H+, perhaps a few seconds. Contrary to lots of posts on here, rock solid and stable. Puts a smile on my face every day.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    05-21-14 04:51 PM
    In my opinion not having LTE is a benefit, because with LTE on you get around 2 or so less hours out of your battery. The STL100-1'S have a noticeable benefit in the battery department

Sent from the ocean using my waterproof Z10
    05-21-14 05:26 PM
    Okay, sounds like it's not a bad phone, just no 4G/LTE. It's strange. My phone does say "4G" when I'm in good reception areas. Sounds like that is just telling me what is available (by the software) but that my hardware can't take advantage of it?

In some ways, this makes it harder than if you all said it was a stripped down version. The Amazon page I bought it off of DOES say it is 4G/LTE compatible, and that it is the "latest version." Phone reception has been nothing short of terrific.

Hmmmmm.
    05-21-14 05:29 PM
    FWIW. BlackBerry Z10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scroll down for variants. BTW as far as getting better battery with no LTE, in my 100-3 I can shut it off. I realize that on at&t, for instance, you can't.
    05-21-14 05:41 PM
    So is my assumption correct that even though my phone says "4G" a lot of the time, I'm not really getting 4G, the software is just telling me that it is available where my phone is?
    05-21-14 08:21 PM
    If you are almost always on WiFi then I wouldn't worry about it.

On most any phone with a smaller battery anyway I'd force it to 3G in most cases.
    05-21-14 08:34 PM
    Disclaimer: I use STL-100-1 myself

benchmark wise, you're losing out. Theorically, based on CPU power, the STL100-2 wins by about nearly 30%

But on RAW GPU power, the tides are turned.

Real life performance? negligible.
    05-21-14 08:39 PM
    Not inferior. Only "different".
    FF22 likes this.
    05-21-14 08:48 PM
    So is my assumption correct that even though my phone says "4G" a lot of the time, I'm not really getting 4G, the software is just telling me that it is available where my phone is?
    T-Mobile's network will show 4G when you're on H+
    05-21-14 10:44 PM
    Technically, the "4G" that the carriers currently offer is not really "4G" as per ITU-R's technical specifications. True 4G should have a "peak speed requirements ... at 100 megabits per second(Mbit/s) for high mobility communication (such as from trains and cars) and 1 gigabit per second (Gbit/s) for low mobility communication (such as pedestrians and stationary users)."
    bbtino likes this.
    05-21-14 10:59 PM
    Everything you need to know about the 100-1 Model.

http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-z...-does-it-exist

Via The BlackBerry Z10 Experience.
    05-22-14 12:20 AM
    And you have a higher graphics processing unit.

From Zarafet my Z30.
    05-22-14 01:09 AM
    Another note - it wasn't the first released (i.e. older) phone. All 4 variants launched at the same time, just for different areas.
    05-22-14 08:38 AM
    Technically, the "4G" that the carriers currently offer is not really "4G" as per ITU-R's technical specifications. True 4G should have a "peak speed requirements ... at 100 megabits per second(Mbit/s) for high mobility communication (such as from trains and cars) and 1 gigabit per second (Gbit/s) for low mobility communication (such as pedestrians and stationary users)."
    This. Grab a speed test app and you'll know the answer. Then compare results your carrier's averages.

I bet you'll find you're on HSPA+ speeds.
    05-22-14 11:16 AM
    Doesn't the -1 have a builtin FM receiver that the others lack?
    05-23-14 08:18 AM
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. I looked through ATTs website. It looks like ATT calls one, "4G HSPA+, and the other, "4G LTE." So, either way, the signal is identified as "4G."

It sounds like the phone is not less good, and that in real-world terms, I'm not losing a lot of data speeds most of the time. I don't love them mis-stating what I'm getting, on the Amazon website, though.

>>Doesn't the -1 have a builtin FM receiver that the others lack? <<

I don't think mine does.

Thanks again, everyone.
    05-24-14 02:15 PM
    I don't think mine does.
    Some issues involved but.. Check out this thread. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...io-z10-898188/
    05-25-14 11:50 AM
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. I looked through ATTs website. It looks like ATT calls one, "4G HSPA+, and the other, "4G LTE." So, either way, the signal is identified as "4G."

It sounds like the phone is not less good, and that in real-world terms, I'm not losing a lot of data speeds most of the time. I don't love them mis-stating what I'm getting, on the Amazon website, though.

>>Doesn't the -1 have a builtin FM receiver that the others lack? <<

I don't think mine does.

Thanks again, everyone.
    Theoretically LTE is capable of much faster speeds than HSPA+ but in a real world situation HSPA+ and LTE aren't that far off. It all depends on your location obviously because I remember my friend pulling 19mbps off of his HSPA+ phone in certain areas and I know I pull like 10mbps in other areas (same city) with LTE. Of course in general LTE will be a bit faster.
    05-25-14 12:12 PM