here in Hong Kong we have 8 digit phone numbers, so a lot of our cellphone culture can rely on people remembering each others cell.

I am asking is there a way for the dialer to suggest me contacts (think it was present on some of the HTC Samsung android dialers) based on the number I type.

E.g. If I want to call David I can start typing 21 and it will suggest contacts starting with any combination of abc for 1 and Def for 2, or the beginning of exact phone number of any matching contact.

Br

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 03:15 AM
    here in Hong Kong we have 8 digit phone numbers, so a lot of our cellphone culture can rely on people remembering each others cell.

I am asking is there a way for the dialer to suggest me contacts (think it was present on some of the HTC Samsung android dialers) based on the number I type.

E.g. If I want to call David I can start typing 21 and it will suggest contacts starting with any combination of abc for 1 and Def for 2, or the beginning of exact phone number of any matching contact.

Br

Posted via CB10
    Yes it does but you have to click on contacts within the dialer app, not using the dialing pad.
    03-19-13 03:25 AM
    So I guess no way to smart search it through the dial pad eh.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 09:34 AM
    That basic feature is still missing in BB10, hope it will be included in later updates.
    03-19-13 09:53 AM
    I don't know what you guys were used to before but what you're asking for doesn't make much sense.

Dial pad is for dialing numbers.

Contacts search is for finding a contact, you can search by first name, last name, initial of your first and last name, company name or the number, what more do you want?
    SDTRMG likes this.
    03-19-13 10:23 AM
    Basically you integrate both into the dialer interface, which then act as your contact search aswell as for dialing specific numbers.

In countries where cell numbers are shorter people tend to dial the number on keypad rather than popping up the full qwerty and search, but having this function will be best of both worlds.

Like how chrome you can type a keyword for search or specific link for a webpage

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 10:48 AM
    Basically you integrate both into the dialer interface, which then act as your contact search aswell as for dialing specific numbers.

In countries where cell numbers are shorter people tend to dial the number on keypad rather than popping up the full qwerty and search, but having this function will be best of both worlds.

Like how chrome you can type a keyword for search or specific link for a webpage

Posted via CB10
    How can you integrate both? Dial pad is supposed to show you numbers not letters.
    03-19-13 10:50 AM
    How can you integrate both? Dial pad is supposed to show you numbers not letters.
    What he means is on the gs4, if yiu hole your finger over a number (example number 3) a picture will pop up, or if you start typing numbers it will also search n spell names from your phone.

To me it's pointless when you can just use the search at the bottom of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 10:55 AM
    As I said in the example think of it as your chrome browser where the hyper link bar is integrated as search bar too.

And one show u the exact page
    Url = numbers

The other show u the matching content
    Search result = contacts

One of those things to grow on you, and you miss if it its not there anymore

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 11:37 AM
    What he means is on the gs4, if yiu hole your finger over a number (example number 3) a picture will pop up, or if you start typing numbers it will also search n spell names from your phone.

To me it's pointless when you can just use the search at the bottom of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    Not really referring to that specific function of the gs4, but some android variant had it for a while now

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 11:39 AM
    As I said in the example think of it as your chrome browser where the hyper link bar is integrated as search bar too.

And one show u the exact page
    Url = numbers

The other show u the matching content
    Search result = contacts

One of those things to grow on you, and you miss if it its not there anymore

Posted via CB10
    Why don't you just use universal search then, it's the same thing.
    03-19-13 11:44 AM
    Why don't you just use universal search then, it's the same thing.
    Cos its easier to type with bigger keypad than small qwerty

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 11:55 AM