Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Device Storage Almost Full even though I have 1.2 gigs free

Hi, I am getting Device storage almost fill even though I have 1.2 gigs free on phone memory and 30 gigs on 64 gb Sd card... I am getting this notification after every few minutes of spending some time on any of the apps (both android ports and built for BlackBerry)

Please let me know if I can do anything to make this stupid notification go away or make this interval short...

Thanks...

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

1.2gb isn't a lot these days.

Posted via CB10

You might try rebooting in case something has grabbed memory and is not releasing it.

Try a restart:

Press and HOLD both Vol Up/Down buttons. Keep holding while the screen goes fully black (ignore the screenshot), keep holding through the Black/White logo and when the Colored Logo shows up, release those buttons.

If you have the STL100-1 variant the volume button reset method doesn't work. In that case, Press and HOLD the Power On Button until you see the LOGO as above
    CrackBerry Master

Check the device monitor and see if there's an app that's eating unreasonable amount of storage space. Common culprit is CB10 app

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I tried the above, but it's still coming, though inky when I tried to update an app... BTW I know 1.2 gb isn't what it used to, but it sure isn't a small amount for the OS to show its full... Anyways I wish if there was an option in the OS for us to chose when the notification comes, as we do when battery is critical.

Thanks for all your replies ...

And also special thanks to the smart Alec for the advise on how big 1.2 gigs is!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts

Could it be due to the number of apps you have installed? How many apps do you have?
    Did this start shortly after installing a new app? Or downloading ebooks, music, audio books?
    Is there anything (data files) you can move over to the SD?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

From time to time I get this, too. Confusing.

Posted via CB using BlackBerry Z10
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Hey Bob,

I have many apps installed, I am not sure how this can have an effect though. I have all of my media on SD card, hence that won't be a problem.

I would appreciate if you could tell me how installing more apps can have this notification conning so often.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    71,284 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RohilChaddha View Post
    Hey Bob,

I have many apps installed, I am not sure how this can have an effect though. I have all of my media on SD card, hence that won't be a problem.

I would appreciate if you could tell me how installing more apps can have this notification conning so often.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    All apps install on the phone, not the SD card.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Your phone stores all the apps within the phones memory, and not the SD card.
    The east way to resolve your problem is to remove the apps you don't use, or the ones you can do without . Have a look in device monitor and look at the storage icon , it will advise what, are the biggest culprits. You can then remove the offending items
    Going off the subject ,i have. A friend who has a Samsung 7 inch tablet with 8gb of storage .he was experiencing the same problem, with his tablet .upon further investigation. The operating system was taking up 3.8 gb, Various apps and music and photos all taking up 2.7 gb .that meant their was less than 1.5 gb free storage on the tablet. What we had to do was remove apps and clean the cash to get rid of the same notification he was receiving
    The phone manufacturers advertise phone with 8,16, 32gb. Of storage they don't tell you that the operating system takes up 1.95 of the phones memory as in the case of me z10, and the phone need at least 1gb to operate. Or in the case. Of the tablet 8gb of storage means less than 2.7gb of storage, which is very misleading.

So the long and short try and remove some of the largest culprits and see if it resolve your problem. If it does you can then decide what apps you want to keep and what ones to remove.

Posted via CB10
    Bobsgolf

Blackberry Z10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts

Nice explanation bobsgolf.

An additional thing, check any camera apps you have installed. Some, if not all, provide the option to automatically save to the SD card. If you haven't already set this, you could be filling your memory with pics & vids. Depending on the camera setting, each pic file can be large.

As bobsgolf says, it will take a bit of the process of elimination to determine the reason. Good luck.

Posted via CB10